What does love mean to you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetheart

Reaction score
I feel like I have no idea what it means to be in love, and that I haven't been in love before. Whether you've experienced it or not, most people have at least an idea of what it is to them. I personally think it varies with each person, so what does it mean to you? Asking out of curiosity.

Love isn't real. It can't be touched or measured or described or explained. Thus it is not real. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist...it exists in a similar fashion as the imaginary friends you had as a child, or Santa or Heaven. They're not real, but they mean something, and at the right place and the right time, they mean everything. What makes love special is that as unreal and as unique each instance is, 2 people can feel it the same way at once. It's one of life's more interesting features.

I've been in love a few times. Unfortunately though in each case it turned out to be unrequited love.

As to what 'love' means to me.
I would probably describe it as what you feel for someone that you deeply care about.

Well take your pick you'll get a different answer from anyone you ask. Personally, I've considered what love is and what is required to make it work and last and this is the best I can come up with from my own experience....

Romantic love is placing the hopes dreams and desires of someone else above your own. Its a willingness to sacrifice and compromise to allow your loved one to fulfil the life they want. When love breaks down its because the other party doesn't share in this philosophy of giving and is unwilling to reciprocate the same spirit of generosity and puts their own interests first. Almost at once, resentment starts to grow and feelings of selflessness and sharing begin to withdraw.

When love works (and lasts) both parties realise the benefit in mutual sacrifice and continue to strive to allow each other to achieve what they want in life to the best of their ability, be it a career, children, a certain lifestyle or just emotional support; if its asked for its given without questions and in both directions. This notion is based on trust because its given with the knowledge that the same would be offered to them in return. So love in that respect is trust.

When love works, then this pact of love is seen as an entity, it exists, it has value. If love were an object, a ‘thing’ that we could see and touch we would never let it become neglected; if it were a shiny expensive thing of material value we would recognise its importance and maintain it, clean it, repair it constantly and value and treasure it. Because we can't see it, we can forget its importance, we let niggles and arguments fester like rust on this object we become concerned with other objects or ideals of less importance and become too busy to tend to our love properly. This 'rust' sets in and cracks start to show and eventually as with all things it becomes beyond repair and falls apart. However if we maintain it, look for and recognise the cracks and ensure they are repaired with our time and affection and compromise and humility then love can last and grow stronger and beyond destruction and last a lifetime.

Well that’s my view after some musing on the subject. Hmm my view of love seems remarkably like communism, mutual giving in the spirit of a greater good for all. Maybe that’s why it’s always been a nice idea but fundamentally flawed for me previously. :rolleyes:

Hmm.. ^That lol.

You want that other person in your life, because you love them and you both make each other happy. There is a great deal of support from each person and there must be understanding. Sometimes things don't always go as planned, but that's when...

dun dunnn... communication comes into play. It's the most important part of ANY kind of relationship.

You basically love everything about that person, and you wouldn't want to change them or make them do anything they are uncomfortable with. You accept them for who they are..flaws and all.

You will know it, once you feel it ... at least that's what people say.
I don't really know if romantic love is much different from the love towards friends and family. Maybe it just adds the "attraction" part.

I don't believe in soul mates or romance or whatever fluffy concoction people describe as love.
As a wife and mother all I know is despite wanting to pull my husband's hair out by the roots because he has, yet again, frustrated me to the point of tears - I still want to wake up next to him in the morning.
My children vomit on me, break my stuff, toss out careless words that sting like barbs - but I wouldn't change a thing.
I think love is staying with your significant other despite wanting to leave, despite those moments when you can't agree or compromise, despite the intense feelings of dislike.
Love is sweat, tears and sacrifice. Love is doing the what is required to make it work.
It hurts but you take it because the alternative is unimaginable.

simplesimonette said:
I don't believe in soul mates or romance or whatever fluffy concoction people describe as love.
As a wife and mother all I know is despite wanting to pull my husband's hair out by the roots because he has, yet again, frustrated me to the point of tears - I still want to wake up next to him in the morning.
My children vomit on me, break my stuff, toss out careless words that sting like barbs - but I wouldn't change a thing.
I think love is staying with your significant other despite wanting to leave, despite those moments when you can't agree or compromise, despite the intense feelings of dislike.
Love is sweat, tears and sacrifice. Love is doing the what is required to make it work.
It hurts but you take it because the alternative is unimaginable.

simplesimonette

I really like this post of your's, it's real, about real relationship not some fantasy, I am inspired by it, thank you for sharing!!!

John H

I think love can be many things during the different phases of one's life, or even over the course of a single relationship. Regardless of what it is though, I reckon it ought to feel deep and profound, and you'll know it only when you feel it.

Badjedidude said:
Not sure I believe in love anymore.

Yep. Same here. The more I study my fellow members of this human race, the more I suspect it's more about mating and security than any sort of emotional or spiritual bond.

No clue, but I'll take a shot anyway.

Love is feeling that someone/thing is such an extension of yourself that you would sacrifice your individual 'Self' for them if necessary. In a sense, it is the feeling of Being over merely existing.

The Good Citizen said:
blackdot said:
love means something that does not exist.

Welcome back blackdot.:cool:

yeah.. found another female to go on a date with.. once again got told me I didn't have "chemistry", whatever that is. So I came back. Just in time for Hellsmas and New Hells Day.

To me, I think being in love means to have someone in your life that you want to share your life with. They become a part of you. And I guess different degrees of loving someone would classify what kind of connections it would be?

Or the definition I've learned from school. Love is comprised of the the presence or absence of Passion, Intimacy, and Commitment. :) This was actually in a textbook. Called the Triangular Theory of Love.

Latest posts

Back