What fascinates you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_lonely

Reaction score
GO. A Japanese board game about claiming territory. Played with black and white stones. The fascinating thing for me is:

-Almost endless permutations. No two games are ever the same.
-Unlike Chess, no computer program has been written yet that can compete with an experienced human player. The reason for this is that the game is not just about the next best move. It is about the "feel" of the game. It is about influence. Computers do very poorly with these nuances.

I am fascinated by the power of very tiny things.

-Sickness. The common cold. Cancer. Caused by organisms so tiny you cannot see them with the naked eye.
-Atoms. Again, so tiny you cannot see them without a microscope. A bomb the size of a suitcase can wipe out an entire city. Splitting the atom.

I am fascinated by very large things.

-Lightyears. The distance light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year. I looked it up. It is 6 trillion miles. The nearest star to our own is Proxima Centauri which is 4.22 light years, or over 24 trillion miles. It would take our fastest propulsion methods 19,000 years to reach it. In theory a nuclear based drive system could reach the star in 85 years, requiring a ship with multiple generations.

-It would be 8 minutes before we realized our own sun had exploded, since the light and warmth we feel and see are 8 minutes old.

-When you look at the night sky, you are looking at what the stars USED TO look like, not what they currently look like. Some of that light belongs to stars that no longer exist.

People fascinate me.

-No two people have the same fingerprint pattern. Not even identical twins. ( I did no fact checking on this )

-Studies have been done on facial patterns. You can tell when someone is lying from these "micro" expressions that give away feelings of contempt or knowing deception.

Words fascinate me. Questions fascinate me. Jesus taught using parables and questions. Parables can be unraveled to have deeper meaning. Questions allow the responders to interrogate their inner motives, even if they choose not to answer.

About 8 years ago I was really into GO for a little bit but I was sooooo bad at it. I was amazing at chess for my age so I stuck with that. I think that even if I spent the next 10 years learning GO I wouldn't even come close to being good at it.

I think computers will be able to compete eventually but it will just take a lot more out of the box thinking than the strategies used by chess engines. If I was still studying CS I would probably work on a GO computer engine for my thesis just because it would be fun thinking of interesting ways to handle the game. I would probably start out tackling problems on smaller boards before trying to make it all work together on a giant board.

Lost Drifter said:
Well, fascinating and impressive aren't the same really. i.e. I'm impressed with Wayne Gretzky's hockey skills, but I'm not fascinated. I am fascinated with rainbows and the Northern Lights. But not impressed. In my opinion, fascinated is like being absolutely blown away, at a much, much, greater magnitude then being simply impressed.

kamya said:
About 8 years ago I was really into GO for a little bit but I was sooooo bad at it. I was amazing at chess for my age so I stuck with that. I think that even if I spent the next 10 years learning GO I wouldn't even come close to being good at it.

I think computers will be able to compete eventually but it will just take a lot more out of the box thinking than the strategies used by chess engines. If I was still studying CS I would probably work on a GO computer engine for my thesis just because it would be fun thinking of interesting ways to handle the game. I would probably start out tackling problems on smaller boards before trying to make it all work together on a giant board.

Yep! :p

Lost Drifter said:
tom_lonely said:
But I am not fascinated by it ... I find it sickening.

Haters gonna hate! :D

To be clear, I was not hating anything or anybody. I like hot dogs. : )

bodeilla said:
I am fascinated by technology, mathematics and the Grand Canyon.

Nice!

Well, fascinating and impressive aren't the same really. i.e. I'm impressed with Wayne Gretzky's hockey skills, but I'm not fascinated. I am fascinated with rainbows and the Northern Lights. But not impressed. In my opinion, fascinated is like being absolutely blown away. At a much, much, greater magnitude then being simply impressed.
[/quote]

Ya think?

I believe it's 8.5 minutes for photons to travel 93,000,000 miles? But similarly, i'm fascinated by most aspects of science, especially quantum physics, relativity etc...

Latest posts

Back