What if??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
What if I get a friend? What will I do?

I mean to say here that how will I maintain friendship like others do? They have fun and talk a lot. How to get those topics which can be talked about? When I have tried talking to someone it doesnt go farther than interests and hobbies. I dont know what to talk. I fear that if I get a friend, he/ she will get bored of me and will leave me.

I have this experience. When I talk to people, after 5-10 minutes I dont know what to say. While others always talk a lot. I have seen. How???? What will I talk after asking his/her interests?
I have seen people who talk daily? But what do they talk? And how do they get those topics other than hobbies and interests?

Other thing. How do they get involved in more informal talks ? Like some people have fun talking. Why dont I have that? And how to have that?
How to talk to them like a friend instead of an interviewer??

M_also_lonely said:
What if I get a friend? What will I do?

I mean to say here that how will I maintain friendship like others do? They have fun and talk a lot. How to get those topics which can be talked about? When I have tried talking to someone it doesnt go farther than interests and hobbies. I dont know what to talk. I fear that if I get a friend, he/ she will get bored of me and will leave me.

I have this experience. When I talk to people, after 5-10 minutes I dont know what to say. While others always talk a lot. I have seen. How???? What will I talk after asking his/her interests?
I have seen people who talk daily? But what do they talk? And how do they get those topics other than hobbies and interests?

Other thing. How do they get involved in more informal talks ? Like some people have fun talking. Why dont I have that? And how to have that?
How to talk to them like a friend instead of an interviewer??

Conversation is just practise, you find out what works and what doesn't.

I usually just ask standard questions such as 'How are you ?', 'What you been upto ?' 'Are you okay ?'

If I have something to say, eg something has happened to me that I want to share, I start to tell somebody, I try to make it as interesting and funny as possible. If the other person shows no interest and I have the feeling I am talking to myself, I just stop. That does happen from time to time. And I don't bother talking to that person again (apart from basic stuff)

Do people even talk about anything besides hobbies and interests? The only other things I can think about is what you've been doing or what you're planning to do (which often involve hobbies/interests in some way).
I'm not the best at talking to people and that's probably why I don't talk to people very often but as far as I know these are the only things people even really talk about as friends.
To keep talking you just talk about those things and anything even remotely related or anything on your mind that you think you could talk about with them. You don't want to be the person who never stops talking and doesn't let the other person talk, though. Sometimes it's good to stop for while.

And don't look too closely into what is meant by "interests" or "hobbies". Maybe you saw a funny video of kittens on the internet. That's still an 'interest' of yours in some way. And maybe you just like to play video games, read comic books, or watch movies. Those are all hobbies and you should be able to talk about your favorites and your interests about those things with someone who is also interested in them.

As Triple stated, it just takes practice. All the advice he gave is good.

That didnt help. I am the same as before. Still no idea how to talk like others do. A lot. Because everytime I start talking with somebody, it ends after sometime with me having nothing to say. So I cant get close enough with strangers. And they finally dont become my friends.

M_also_lonely said:
That didnt help. I am the same as before. Still no idea how to talk like others do. A lot. Because everytime I start talking with somebody, it ends after sometime with me having nothing to say. So I cant get close enough with strangers. And they finally dont become my friends.

You've got to find things to talk about and be interested in them.
For example, sport, football, music, films, politics, people, Television, history, science etc.

I talk about all sorts at work. I was talking about evolution a few weeks ago and this young bloke disagreed with everything I said. It was interesting though. I talk about football with this lass, she supports Man Utd. We talk for ages, she doesn't talk with anybody else about football. Nobody even knows she likes football. Yet she talks to me and knows her stuff.

If you know somebody likes music then talk to them about that. Ask them what they like and then give your opinions.

Triple Bogey said:
M_also_lonely said:

For example, sport, football, music, films, politics, people, Television, history, science etc.

I talk about all sorts at work. I was talking about evolution a few weeks ago and this young bloke disagreed with everything I said. It was interesting though. I talk about football with this lass, she supports Man Utd. We talk for ages, she doesn't talk with anybody else about football. Nobody even knows she likes football. Yet she talks to me and knows her stuff.

If you know somebody likes music then talk to them about that. Ask them what they like and then give your opinions.

I have seen many times that people laugh a lot when they talk. Why and how would anybody laugh if I talk about football? And what is there to talk about football? I am seriously confused. How does this all happen? How to make real friends? How to make them think about us (like care or worry about us or wish us on festivals and birthdays)
How can I get invited for a party? How to be a person who is the most favorite person in the group?
Is there any course by which I can learn to get a true friend and which can teach me how to talk and behave and WHAT to talk?

Somebody here said "Work on your passions, and you will get everything. Well, why would anybody be my friend when I am not interesting and funny and humorous and smart and when I don't know what to say?

M_also_lonely said:
I have seen many times that people laugh a lot when they talk. Why and how would anybody laugh if I talk about football? And what is there to talk about football? I am seriously confused.

Sometimes people laugh at the things they say out of habit or nerves. I know I do that too at times.

As for your other questions, I really don't know how to answer them because to me, there is no hard and fast rule about how to behave when talking to someone to get them interested in me. I try not to have that expectation because when I did and it doesn't go that way, it disappoints me. Also, I don't strive for those things you strive to be in a group of people or with the people you talk to. Sorry, can't be of much help but I hope that you'll find some answers to your questions above. Good luck.

M_also_lonely said:
I have seen many times that people laugh a lot when they talk. Why and how would anybody laugh if I talk about football? And what is there to talk about football? I am seriously confused. How does this all happen? How to make real friends? How to make them think about us (like care or worry about us or wish us on festivals and birthdays)
How can I get invited for a party? How to be a person who is the most favorite person in the group?
Is there any course by which I can learn to get a true friend and which can teach me how to talk and behave and WHAT to talk?

Somebody here said "Work on your passions, and you will get everything. Well, why would anybody be my friend when I am not interesting and funny and humorous and smart and when I don't know what to say?

Well, How does it happens? It happens gradually. Over period of time. How to make real friends? You see, we don't make friends, we become friends by listening to them, talking to them, sharing with them. and with gradual increase in bonding the care and love and all sorts of things come naturally.

How to be person who is the most favorite person in the group? I don't know the answer myself. To be favorite of the group need time and dedication you can give to the whole group that is what required If you ask me.

Yes, there is course to have true friends. Course of time and patience. You don't have to act, you just have to be yourself, be the way you are.

Work on your passion means work on yourself, discover yourself. Look in you what you are good at and what you can give others when you will have friends. You don't have to be humorous, smart and funny to have friends, People with serious attitude and less funnier have friends too.

M_also_lonely said:
People laugh at weird things sometimes. It's probably just someone being happy, not just laughing at something funny.

You don't have to talk about football if you aren't interested in that.
M, what are you interests? What are your hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time? Tell us.

You make friends by caring about them, listening to them, and talking with them. It's not an immediate process, it's just something that happens when people find they have things in common. Over time doing these things a friendship is built on that relationship.

Rainbows said:
That would actually be very useful to a lot of people, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Rainbows said:
You don't need to be humorous or smart or funny or interesting to make friends. You just need to have some social skills.
But you shouldn't say you don't have these qualities, you do. You just need to figure out how to bring them out to show people. All of these traits are developed anyway. They are things you have to work on and strengthen, you aren't just born with them.

So again, what are the things you like, M? Give some examples and I think some of us might be able to help you share those with someone else in the right way.

But I'll note that like me and Triple said earlier, social-skills do require practice. You can't expect to be the world's greatest conversationalist by tomorrow. You have to work on it and just talk to people. If you run out of things to say that's fine. You'll do better next time.

Despicable Me said:
M_also_lonely said:
People laugh at weird things sometimes. It's probably just someone being happy, not just laughing at something funny.

You don't have to talk about football if you aren't interested in that.
M, what are you interests? What are your hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time? Tell us.

You make friends by caring about them, listening to them, and talking with them. It's not an immediate process, it's just something that happens when people find they have things in common. Over time doing these things a friendship is built on that relationship.

Rainbows said:
That would actually be very useful to a lot of people, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Rainbows said:
You don't need to be humorous or smart or funny or interesting to make friends. You just need to have some social skills.
But you shouldn't say you don't have these qualities, you do. You just need to figure out how to bring them out to show people. All of these traits are developed anyway. They are things you have to work on and strengthen, you aren't just born with them.

So again, what are the things you like, M? Give some examples and I think some of us might be able to help you share those with someone else in the right way.

But I'll note that like me and Triple said earlier, social-skills do require practice. You can't expect to be the world's greatest conversationalist by tomorrow. You have to work on it and just talk to people. If you run out of things to say that's fine. You'll do better next time.

My hobby is thinking. In my free time, I sit and think. Else, I solve the rubik's cube. Else, I think. Only think. Thats all I do in my free time.

And I care for everyone,and listen everything they say. But then nothing happens. I say nothing.Dont know why.

"All these traits are developed anyway??? Really?? Like I am
sitting and BOOM!!! Seriously??

My hobby is to think.

M_also_lonely said:
My hobby is thinking. In my free time, I sit and think. Else, I solve the rubik's cube. Else, I think. Only think. Thats all I do in my free time.

And I care for everyone,and listen everything they say. But then nothing happens. I say nothing.Dont know why.

My hobby is to think.
You aren't interested in anything else?
Like Sports, Video games, riding bikes, hiking, climbing, camping, gardening, cooking, cleaning, science, books, religion, comics, painting, art, insects, animals, fish or fishing, other kinds of puzzles, or etc?

What do you sit there and think about?

As for developing traits, no it's not just a "Boom!" moment. It's like how you studied really hard and became the top of your class. You studied and got smarter. You are developing your intelligence, that is development of that quality. It is an ongoing process until the day you stop. You can develop yourself your entire life, if you want.
By the way, what it is you are in college for? I'm sure you have more interests than just thinking.

M_also_lonely said:
Triple Bogey said:
M_also_lonely said:

'What is there to talk about football ?'

If you are asking questions like that, I don't think I can help you.

I definitely agree with the work on your passions thing. Your passions shape you as a person, as well as being a great route through which you can make friends that have those same passions. They also help bring life and energy to conversation, which in turn helps you make friends because you're more animated, and people like that. The internet is great for finding people who are into exactly what you are into. In fact, I'm sure there are lots of forums out there just for thinkers. Why not find a thinking buddy? :p

Also, if you're not interesting, funny, humerous or smart... there are classes for that. Youtube videos, even. If you are dissatisfied with how you are now, you can shape yourself into whatever person you want to be. Wanting it badly enough is all it takes.

For every person who feels like they are in a tough situation and they admit defeat, there is another person in the world in that same situation who decided to do something about it, change things and be happier.

There are different 'modes' of conversation, ranging from small talk ('the weather was terrible'/'we have a newly designed 5 dollar bill'/'my mother is a great cook' etc.) to the more serious topics but if there arent any topics or small talk you can come up with you can always go to 'interview mode'. This is where you literally start to interview someone by asking them questions, listen to their answers and ask new questions depending on the answers you get. It will show lots of interest from your part (which people in general like) and it will enable you to get to know those people by just listening and letting them tell about themselves (and most people simply love to talk about themselves). The condition however must be your undevided attention while listening, that is the most important factor. If you use this 'technique' often you will really get to know people, in a relatively short amount of time, and it will enable you to truly befriend some of them (not all) because you genuinely listen which is the one thing almost every person values greatly.

An example interview could be when for instance someones talks about traveling (or cooking or whatever the topic might be).

Subject: I really love to travel
You: Have you traveled a lot allready ?
Subject: Not that much though I would like to and hope to do so in the future
You: are you talking about the tourist routes or about the backpacking kinda traveling?
Subject: I never really liked the tourist stuff, gettting to know the different countries and their cultures is what I like about it

Such conversations are very easy to maintain, as long as you show an interest by asking more questions and keep on listening. The downside to this however is that some people dont ever want to come down from their talking chair once you got them started, but thats another problem all together, you'll figure out cutting them off in a respectful manner eventually :D

Despicable Me said:
M_also_lonely said:

My hobby is to think.
You aren't interested in anything else?
Like Sports, Video games, riding bikes, hiking, climbing, camping, gardening, cooking, cleaning, science, books, religion, comics, painting, art, insects, animals, fish or fishing, other kinds of puzzles, or etc?

What do you sit there and think about?

As for developing traits, no it's not just a "Boom!" moment. It's like how you studied really hard and became the top of your class. You studied and got smarter. You are developing your intelligence, that is development of that quality. It is an ongoing process until the day you stop. You can develop yourself your entire life, if you want.
By the way, what it is you are in college for? I'm sure you have more interests than just thinking.

I like to do some of these things. But sometimes with others. But they dont include me. And dont come to play games when I call them.
What do I think all day??

It can be anything. Like, yestday I was thinking, if government is for helping people, and it has a Reserve Bank, why doesnt it keep a week in which all the money that they make is to be distributed among poor?

Then I made a theory of a device that if you place in a room, it can tell you what will happen in the room in future.Long theory.

Then I was thinking about a device called "Hungry Cube". A cube that is so hungry and desperate for energy that it absorbs any energy around you. Like: There is sunlight? It absorbs and charges the battery. Wind? It absorbs it and charges battery? etc etc .That battery can run your devices. Nothing around you? Just move. The energy lost by your movements will be absorbed and can be used.

Then a method by which we can travel faster than light.

Then, a Tomorrowland-2 where only animals and birds sing, and express the pain that we give them.

Then a laptop that connects to your brain and shows all the things seen by you until now , in .jpg format. All the incidents seen by you, in mp4 format. And all the sounds listened by you in .wav format. You can manage them,make folders etc. You can even see what happened to you when you were 1 year old, that too using VLC Player.Just open the folder and double click on the video. You can copy-paste it and share using pen-drive and even post it on Facebook. Isn't it fun?

Then a concept of a device that records smell. Then you can play it, share it, etc.

Then, an engine of infinite pistons arranged in all directions. So it works like our heart . "Heart Engine" .That idea came when i was,studying V12 engine and fell asleep.

And much more...

M_also_lonely said:
I like to do some of these things. But sometimes with others. But they dont include me. And dont come to play games when I call them.
Okay, but you are interested in some of them? It doesn't matter if people haven't responded to them in the past before. What are these things you like to do?
People like to talk about interests like the examples I gave, and go and do those things. Even if you have been unable to get others to do them with you before maybe you approached them in the wrong way, or maybe you talked to people who weren't actually interested.
For example, let's say you like video games, science, and reading.
So then maybe one day in your class, when you have the chance to talk to people, you can go up to someone who you don't normally see talking with anyone or think has any friends of their own.
Then you can ask what they like to do. If they tell you something you're interested in, for example "I like to play video games", ask what kind of games they like. Then maybe tell them what kind of games you like, or mention something you like about a game they played.
When the chance is right, maybe talk about how you wish some technology in a video game was real, or maybe talk about how you read a book that was in some way similar to that game. Make sure to give them plenty of time to say whatever is on their mind and just bring up questions when neither of you has anything else to say.
Basically just say whatever comes to your mind that might be kind of related to what you're currently talking about. If you both run out of things to say, just 'investigate'. Ask questions and find out more about the person.

It's hard to give you good examples when you won't even tell us what kinds of things you like to do, which is why I was asking. :p

If they are unresponsive but seem open to conversation, maybe ask them if they like games, science, or reading, or whatever your other interests may be. Try to find something you have in common and just try to get them to respond and open up. It could just be that they are shy or not sure how to socialize. Once you've got a shy person like this to open up to you, they can actually be really great friends. It just takes a little extra effort at the beginning and you don't want to scare them away. Just be friendly and try to notice if they are getting uncomfortable.

If they are unresponsive and don't seem to want to talk to you, just tell them something like "Well if you ever feel like talking about something just let me know." Maybe they were just in a bad mood and it opens up the opportunity to talk again if they ever change their mind.

Really, generally what you want to do with anyone is like McDamned suggested, you want to listen to them talk. People LOVE listeners. But in the gaps don't be afraid to mention something you're thinking about, too. And when one conversation is over ask more questions about themselves, like in McDamned's example. If you really can't think of anything else to follow the conversation, and the other people isn't talking either, feel free to start a new subject. Just ask them new questions or tell them something interesting you learned or saw lately, or if you feel you've left a good enough impression, then just tell them you need to get going and that you'd like to talk to them again sometime.
Don't keep pushing it if there really is nothing left to talk about. The time away will give you some time to think about the person and maybe you'll think up new questions or things to talk about with them from what you learned before.

And like I said, try to find someone who doesn't seem to have any friends of their own that you might not have even noticed before. You know, the people who often sit by themselves and stuff. These are the kind of people who are probably more open to a good conversation and would probably make a good friend. But if you can't find anyone like that, feel free to talk to anyone else who you might feel comfortable talking to. Just put yourself out there and try your best.

And I'm not sure if this needs to be said or not, but don't just go jumping into conversations with a group of people who are already talking. It is considered rude unless you are friends with most of them. Try to get 1 on 1 conversations, because that's how you get to know people and how you make friends.

Finally, if the person tells you their opinion about something and you don't really agree with it, don't insult them by telling them you don't like this or that, try to move the conversation in another direction.
For example:
You: So what do you like to do?
Them: I mostly like to play video games.
You: Oh yeah, me too. What kinds of games do you play?
Them: I really like Sports video games. (Assuming you really don't like Sports but you do like video games.)
You: I don't usually play those, but I really like Call of Duty. Do you ever play that?

In this example they bring up something you don't like, but within a subject you do like, so you politely change the direction of the conversation by bringing up a generally popular thing you like to see if maybe you can find something else in common. That way you don't offend them with something like "Oh, I really hate Sports games" which is a conversation killer.

Not every conversation will go well, but that's just life. If that's the case then just find someone else to talk to.

I think that's really all the advice I can give at this point, without knowing more about the things you actually like to do or want to talk about.

M_also_lonely said:

It can be anything. [...]
Ha, well some of that sounds a bit like me when I was younger.
I would suggest trying to focus your energy and thoughts more into one thing, though. Focus on something you really like, are interested in, and want to understand better. Having lots of wacky thoughts about stuff that will never happen, because it is either impossible or you just don't know how to make it, is fun but inevitably it's also pointless except for just spending time to yourself.

Focusing that energy somewhere will not only help you to discover your true interests and some new hobbies, but it will also give you a better understanding of those things so you'll have more to talk about with others. It will also probably make you a more focused person in general, which will help you with every area of your life.

Hope that helps!

Despicable Me said:
M_also_lonely said:
Okay, but you are interested in some of them? It doesn't matter if people haven't responded to them in the past before. What are these things you like to do?
People like to talk about interests like the examples I gave, and go and do those things. Even if you have been unable to get others to do them with you before maybe you approached them in the wrong way, or maybe you talked to people who weren't actually interested.
For example, let's say you like video games, science, and reading.
So then maybe one day in your class, when you have the chance to talk to people, you can go up to someone who you don't normally see talking with anyone or think has any friends of their own.
Then you can ask what they like to do. If they tell you something you're interested in, for example "I like to play video games", ask what kind of games they like. Then maybe tell them what kind of games you like, or mention something you like about a game they played.
When the chance is right, maybe talk about how you wish some technology in a video game was real, or maybe talk about how you read a book that was in some way similar to that game. Make sure to give them plenty of time to say whatever is on their mind and just bring up questions when neither of you has anything else to say.
Basically just say whatever comes to your mind that might be kind of related to what you're currently talking about. If you both run out of things to say, just 'investigate'. Ask questions and find out more about the person.

It's hard to give you good examples when you won't even tell us what kinds of things you like to do, which is why I was asking. :p

If they are unresponsive but seem open to conversation, maybe ask them if they like games, science, or reading, or whatever your other interests may be. Try to find something you have in common and just try to get them to respond and open up. It could just be that they are shy or not sure how to socialize. Once you've got a shy person like this to open up to you, they can actually be really great friends. It just takes a little extra effort at the beginning and you don't want to scare them away. Just be friendly and try to notice if they are getting uncomfortable.

If they are unresponsive and don't seem to want to talk to you, just tell them something like "Well if you ever feel like talking about something just let me know." Maybe they were just in a bad mood and it opens up the opportunity to talk again if they ever change their mind.

Really, generally what you want to do with anyone is like McDamned suggested, you want to listen to them talk. People LOVE listeners. But in the gaps don't be afraid to mention something you're thinking about, too. And when one conversation is over ask more questions about themselves, like in McDamned's example. If you really can't think of anything else to follow the conversation, and the other people isn't talking either, feel free to start a new subject. Just ask them new questions or tell them something interesting you learned or saw lately, or if you feel you've left a good enough impression, then just tell them you need to get going and that you'd like to talk to them again sometime.
Don't keep pushing it if there really is nothing left to talk about. The time away will give you some time to think about the person and maybe you'll think up new questions or things to talk about with them from what you learned before.

And like I said, try to find someone who doesn't seem to have any friends of their own that you might not have even noticed before. You know, the people who often sit by themselves and stuff. These are the kind of people who are probably more open to a good conversation and would probably make a good friend. But if you can't find anyone like that, feel free to talk to anyone else who you might feel comfortable talking to. Just put yourself out there and try your best.

And I'm not sure if this needs to be said or not, but don't just go jumping into conversations with a group of people who are already talking. It is considered rude unless you are friends with most of them. Try to get 1 on 1 conversations, because that's how you get to know people and how you make friends.

Finally, if the person tells you their opinion about something and you don't really agree with it, don't insult them by telling them you don't like this or that, try to move the conversation in another direction.
For example:
You: So what do you like to do?
Them: I mostly like to play video games.
You: Oh yeah, me too. What kinds of games do you play?
Them: I really like Sports video games. (Assuming you really don't like Sports but you do like video games.)
You: I don't usually play those, but I really like Call of Duty. Do you ever play that?

In this example they bring up something you don't like, but within a subject you do like, so you politely change the direction of the conversation by bringing up a generally popular thing you like to see if maybe you can find something else in common. That way you don't offend them with something like "Oh, I really hate Sports games" which is a conversation killer.

Not every conversation will go well, but that's just life. If that's the case then just find someone else to talk to.

I think that's really all the advice I can give at this point, without knowing more about the things you actually like to do or want to talk about.

M_also_lonely said:

It can be anything. [...]
Ha, well some of that sounds a bit like me when I was younger.
I would suggest trying to focus your energy and thoughts more into one thing, though. Focus on something you really like, are interested in, and want to understand better. Having lots of wacky thoughts about stuff that will never happen, because it is either impossible or you just don't know how to make it, is fun but inevitably it's also pointless except for just spending time to yourself.

Focusing that energy somewhere will not only help you to discover your true interests and some new hobbies, but it will also give you a better understanding of those things so you'll have more to talk about with others. It will also probably make you a more focused person in general, which will help you with every area of your life.

Hope that helps!

I want to do things, but not only like playing games and etc.I do play games, but I am left alone because I play very slowly, according to them and they dont include me in their team. I wanted to learn dance, so I first went to a party to see what is it like. But they made fun of me and laughed at me. So I never dared again. I wanted to learn singing, but 7-8 places where I went to learn singing, rejected me in the pre-tests. I wanted to be an anchor in my college festival. They told me that you speak fine but your looks wont be able to impress the guests. So again rejected. People around me are much smarter, happier, have friends, girlfriends, etc. What is it that they have done in childhood that I haven't?
When guys from my class ask a girl out, they happily agree and spend all day with them and talk to them. When I try to talk to girls, they feel like a stranger is asking for 1000$ with no promise to return. It appears like I should not talk to them. Even when I just say Hi, they look at each other weirdly and smile and comment about me, thinking that I dont understand their sign languages. And when I am continuing a statement, they break it and, say, tell me about it later, whatever you are saying. Some of them even called me boring. A girl posted about me how boring I am and how I made her bored.

I am sorry I dont have the talents that you mention except that I donate food to beggars daily. I dont have the specialities everyone has. I want to dance, like those guys, want to sing like those band members, I want to look good, and impress people but my face is shaped wierdly.

You are right I should talk, but what to do when they dont even let me speak and let me complete my statement and try to avoid me. ?? Esp. girls..... Why???????????

M_also_lonely said:
I want to do things, but not only like playing games and etc.I do play games, but I am left alone because I play very slowly, according to them and they dont include me in their team.
Then just find some people who are okay with the way you play. The other people are just being rude and that's not the kind of friends you want to make anyway.

M_also_lonely said:
I wanted to learn dance, so I first went to a party to see what is it like. But they made fun of me and laughed at me. So I never dared again.
You care to much what people think. If you really want to learn to dance maybe sign up for dance classes or something. Or even just practice alone if you need to.
If it's something you really enjoy then giving up is not an option, even if people laugh.

M_also_lonely said:
I wanted to learn singing, but 7-8 places where I went to learn singing, rejected me in the pre-tests.
Singing is not for everyone, but again if it's something you really want then you have to keep practicing, even if others exclude you.

M_also_lonely said:
I wanted to be an anchor in my college festival. They told me that you speak fine but your looks wont be able to impress the guests. So again rejected.
So? Try and try again.
If you really want something you can't let others stop you. Maybe it doesn't work out the first time but it sounds to me like you just give up after the first failed attempt. You can't do that. You can't let those things stop you. You need some perseverance.

You talk a lot about the 'famous' people, but do you know what some of those people went through to get where they are now? Many of them pushed through so many obstacles of their own and only got to where they are now because they never gave up and they just kept practicing and just kept trying, even when others said they couldn't do it. Even when people laughed or mocked them. They believed in themselves.

M_also_lonely said:
People around me are much smarter, happier, have friends, girlfriends, etc. What is it that they have done in childhood that I haven't?
You don't know this about me, but I absolutely hate it when people say that other people are "smarter" than they are. It is wrong on many levels.

You are just as smart as everyone else, you just need to recognize it. The thing is that everyone is naturally good at different things, not the same things and should never expected to be (despite what society suggests), but more importantly practice and experience is always more important than natural inclination.

This concept that 'other people are smarter' is basically like saying that everyone else has more potential as a human being, but it's simply not true. Everyone has great potential, you just need to accept it, learn to take advantage of it, and not let anything stop you from reaching it.

Maybe others are 'happier' or have more friends and stuff, but comparing yourself to others in this way is meaningless. You haven't necessarily done anything wrong, you need to quit blaming yourself as if you had, though.
Everyone has a different life, just as they have different skills they are better at, and one can't be expected to have a directly comparable life in these sort of ways. Sometimes the circumstances or environment just aren't there. Sometimes it's society's fault. Sometimes it is your upbringing. There are so many variables and even if you were at fault for 'some' things, you're definitely not at fault for all of them. The only important thing to know, however, is that you are capable of changing any of it and doing your best, so long as you don't let things stop you.

M_also_lonely said:
When guys from my class ask a girl out, they happily agree and spend all day with them and talk to them. When I try to talk to girls, they feel like a stranger is asking for 1000$ with no promise to return. It appears like I should not talk to them. Even when I just say Hi, they look at each other weirdly and smile and comment about me, thinking that I dont understand their sign languages. And when I am continuing a statement, they break it and, say, tell me about it later, whatever you are saying. Some of them even called me boring. A girl posted about me how boring I am and how I made her bored.
And these are all things in the past. And although it may seem like they are still happening, just don't give those people anymore time than you have to. There are always more people out there, and every day is a new day. This gives you the opportunity to talk with new people every day and find some people who aren't as superficial or unfriendly. A new day to find people who might become your friends.

You have many choices every day, but inevitably you can choose three paths, to give up, to just 'get by', or to do your best with every moment.

M_also_lonely said:
I am sorry I dont have the talents that you mention except that I donate food to beggars daily. I dont have the specialities everyone has. I want to dance, like those guys, want to sing like those band members, I want to look good, and impress people but my face is shaped wierdly.
Focus on something you really want to do, just start with one thing you want the most, and go for it with everything you can. Don't just think about being happy 'now', think about being happy in a year, and two, and five, and ten, and when you're older. What will make you happy for the rest of your life and isn't just a 'temporary fix'? Find something that you can do now to reach for those larger goals and keep moving towards them.

I would personally say that focusing on 'looking good' or other superficial things is pointless, but if that's really what you want then go for it. Don't let me stop you, and don't let anyone stop you. That's the point.

If you need suggestions/help finding where to start with one of those goals then I'm sure some people here may be able to help you with that. And once you've got one thing nailed down then you can work on the next.

But don't assume that anything is ever going to be 'easy'. Some things will be naturally harder to do for some people than others. You have a gift for kindness that others don't have. You think giving things to beggars, especially where you live, is easy for many people? It's not. They can't see it the way you do. They can't be like you very easily.
Maybe other people can sing or dance or get girlfriends easily, but you have your own unique gifts and I'm not sure why you don't realize this.

Now, you can use that unique gift of yours and turn it into something you're really good at doing naturally, or you can develop your other skills, ones that might be harder for you, and take what may be a much rockier path if you think it will make you happier in the end. That choice is up to you.

M_also_lonely said:
You are right I should talk, but what to do when they dont even let me speak and let me complete my statement and try to avoid me. ?? Esp. girls..... Why???????????
You just need to find the right people. I've told you that before.
Just keep looking. Are you always talking to the same people, or are you talking to new ones?
Last time I replied I suggested you talk to people who you don't often see with friends and stuff. These are people who might not have any friends of their own so you might make friends with them much easier. Just go up and talk to them. Be honest and be yourself. Eventually you'll find someone.

Latest posts

Back