What If...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gabriel20 said:
Sounds like an amazing place! Forgive me for being just a simple minded,old person,,but surely a place such as this,with a population of just unhappy,lost,lonely,people, with social anxiety, and other related medical condition's, nobody would actually talk or communicate with each other,and eventually, everybody would die off,due to lack of communication, social interaction, and lack of people pairing off to have children? :(

I don't know for sure, but I THINK there's a great variety of people here. I, for one, like physical hard work. I'm lonely because I'm different from others around me. But my favourite times in life have been those when I was working with others toward a common goal. I'd love to recapture that!

And surely London tried to create a place like this,in 1247,for people who didn't fit into mainstream Society, and anybody "different", was labeled, and " sent" to such a place! It was called, Bethlem Royal Hospital,also known as "Bedlam"!

The difference here might be that these people were *sent*, they didn't *choose*.

Stonely said:
Instead of creating a small village, why not just make another website like A Lonely Life?
I've seen no lacking in this site that would warrant needing a new one like it.

By the way, I much appreciate what everyone's had to say on the matter, both the criticisms and the encouragements.

I don't like to quarrel. Many people really enjoy quarreling, they just don't like the possibility of losing an argument/fight; enough so that they avoid conflicts. I honestly feel no need nor desire to be "superior" to anyone. I suspect many others here are not interested in proving anything to the world, and would actually enjoy some company in doing ordinary daily chores, as well as relaxing at the end of the day. For some, just knowing someone who appreciates them is right next door, is a nice comfort that makes the day's struggles a little easier to bear, even if they haven't spoken to that neighbor in a week. Not everyone likes sharing their lives, and some even feel constantly threatened by others living near them. That's why I've asked the question; simply to learn how many others here are like me in that desire to share Life and Wonder, but in a less imposing way than screaming and thrashing at a concert, or boozing it up and dancing on the roof of your car.

I'm well aware that the Amish have their issues, and for some of those issues, I'd not likely choose that life, even if it were handed to me. My point was that if money is truly the big show-stopper, it doesn't have to be. The Amish are actually dealing with less mental illness, and far less physical illness than others living in the same country. Some have tried to claim it's a genetic thing, and I find that laughable. It's clearly related to living in ways that are a bit more compatible to human nature. Those who claim human nature is all about quarreling and corruption, I feel are observing/experiencing a very natural but negative reaction to unnatural circumstances.

I'd certainly prefer to have both modern comforts and a feeling of closeness and 'commonhood', but if the only way is to choose one or the other, I'd take the closeness, and be more than willing to do the work required for a more simple village-like way of life. I long to be near others who think and feel similarly. I know we do not have to change the whole surrounding culture to allow for such a community. The toughest challenges are zoning and building permits, etc. But those laws are rapidly changing. Because of the "climate crisis", whether you believe it exists or not, there's a lot of pressure on policy makers to come up with more eco-friendly and energy efficient community concepts. So the whole self-sustained, off-the-grid trend is becoming more and more mainstream, both in the developed and developing nations.

I live a very lonely life, and I truly want out of it, but the typical western culture these days has been leaving more and more people feeling out of place, overwhelmed, and isolated, just trying to cope with daily life. People watch TV instead of telling stories together, or hearing elders' Wisdom. People have been going so long without this that they don't even know there are elders who possess true valuable insights, and would love to share them. People put on songs to invoke emotions that real live friendships and family could be providing. It's become "easier" to just plop down with our entertainment medium of choice, than to sort out making plans with others, or even meeting anyone new.

Such seems easier only when each of us feels the need to play 'God'. Then having a 'one-way' relationship via music, TV, books, etc. avoids the conflict of two 'self-Gods' butting heads. I don't have a problem admitting that I'm not the Center of the Universe, and I don't mind adapting to accommodate others and share a life with them. Some people are more comfortable leaders, and enjoy coordinating things. Of those, some, who are able to listen to the needs of everyone in their community, are very suited to take on such a role. Many of us are comfortable to simply do our own little part, and live in appreciation for everyone else and their roles. Leader figures are certainly needed, but the ones best suited for it are those who consider themselves a servant of their community, versus The Great Empress/Emperor of the Multiverse!

As rare as it may be, there are some sweet souls in this world -- some here on this site. Many who are sensible enough to understand what it takes to facilitate shy and withdrawn people in living truly enjoyable lives together. For many of us, personal pride is not worth more than the comfort of loving closeness.

Stonely said:
Instead of creating a small village, why not just make another website like A Lonely Life?

Personally- because I'm not interested in something just virtual and if I were I'd go visit permies.com (which I often do anyway, look how that worked out!)

I do love the internet for it's own global village feel, being able to talk to people from all over

Latest posts

Back