What is going on in your head?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In what form do you think?

• Talking to yourself, in primary language

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Observing a movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obscure, in concepts and ideas

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Regumika

Reaction score
A factor in finding connection with another person is understanding/communication. It is difficult to be friends when the two do not understand each other.

So I am curious on what goes on inside a person's head, how they think. I am also curious for those who are fluent in multiple languages, which language do you think in.

I had a similar convo with a cousin of mine, I speak two languages but english is my first so i think in english & dream in english, but my cousin how ever, first language is english but he lives in italy and speaks italian aswell been there so long he dreams in italian now lol

I just kind of observe things out loud, but in my head and comment on them, as if I'm having a conversation, but with myself. I make suggestions and we decide what to do, don't we. Yes we do.

Interesting question though, I have wondered if everyone else thinks as I do.

Can you overlay images in your head as well? They are visible, but not - does that make any sense?

Oh and often for my writing I see the story as a movie first and just write what I'm seeing.

I should probably keep this stuff to myself, shouldn't I?

<knock knock>

Hang, on. Some blokes with white coats are at the door, I'll be right......

I feel more than think, in tension and time. Like the needle of a polygraph test, the paper of life constantly scrolling past, always some kind of pulse or reading, time is always there going by, and we're all walking around without being plugged into a mains, organic batteries created in fascinating miracles with no higher power but science that sometimes fails in the gamble of success.

It all feels like the aftermath of an explosion - the big bang. It's all around us, it is us, I can feel it. You can hear it in the unfound channels of your static television. Everything is alive and under the influence of time and there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about it.

I feel in wavelengths and phases of up and down slidey scales. These scales can be long droughts or highs or even seconds of bad or good vibes, with every emotion or feeling and thought influencing the slider. It's a mixture of time and ocd, and being extremely sensitive to absolutely everything around me.

I speak two languages, though english is my second, its basically my primary. but i dont think with words. I dont talk to myself. I am like edward. just images, concepts, ideas. Like watching a movie on mute. maybe like 10x fast forward.

another way to see it is probably like Dr. Manhattan from watchmen. when he takes apart a mechanical object into individual pieces, then restructures them. my head will break things apart like just. the image, concept, idea. without words.

since my thoughts are not originally words, it is difficult at times to express exactly what i am thinking.

That is exactly how I'd describe it. It leads to awkward scenarios where I attempt to rephrase what I'm saying in the middle of saying it, and I'm often slow to respond to people when talking because I have to translate everything. When learning another language (as I am now with Norwegian), in addition to knowing the English version of the word, I have to sort of "feel" how it's used that way I no longer have to think about every possible figure of speech a particular word works in.

WOW every post under my previous post is some what similar, you guys sound complicatedly simple or simply complicated compared to the way I think which is simply simple haha, be interesting to find out how many of our ALL members think with images too, Cool thred!
The mind is def an amazing thing.

After seeing that poll i kinda realised i do a bit of each,primeraly thinking with words,sometimes when in deep thort,of something traumatic in a sense, I will visualise those thorts, something I must remember I will reapet over verbaly in my mind to try keep from losing it, and sometimes I do a bit of obscure thort too and then verbaly say to myself snap out of it, so I get what u guys where describing now about the visual thorts,yay were not so differnt!

I think that it depends on what I'm thinking about.

When I am thinking about making a decision or taking a particular course of action, then I sort of play out all possible scenarios in my head, a bit like watching a movie, and then choose the one that has the most positive outcome.

When I have made a decision and I am trying to motivate myself, then I have a habit of talking to myself out loud. I only do that if there is no one else around to motivate me and I'm sure I will otherwise quit.

When I am thinking about memories, the past and moments that actually happened, I become much more complex. I can sort of build up the exact moment in time like building something out of Lego. I can 'see' and 'experience' it almost exactly as I did the first time. I also feel the same feelings, so if I was embarrassed by something I did when I was a child, I will feel just as embarrassed now. It's far more vivid than I could ever explain and it's the reason I do not keep nor need photographs.

I guess I just have an amazing long term memory, but my short term memory is appalling, so it all balances out in the end.

I do all three. I think in english as well, it sounds better to me, and i can express myself better in english .. mostly.

I think just using one method is kind of limiting yourself in your self improvement. That might be just me though. I use movies and pictures to make it more elaborate when needed.

I also have a cinema in my head where about 10 people are watching exactly what i experience, and they all have different opinions. That way i can take them into account and choose a more balanced course of action.

The most important thing is that i always have music playing in my head. More often than not it is music that is unwritten. (or well, that i haven't heard before) This music goes along with the situation/thought process i am in, and accompanies the thought process. This makes it easier for me to think of a solution.

I think in a combination of visuals, concepts, memory, prediction, hunches, and connections. I can't remember thinking in speech or words unless I'm actually working on something I wanted to say or trying to decode something I heard.

There's no sound in my dreams and therefore no language, but I have English names for things.

I'm not sure how important this is for people to understand each other, though. I'd think things like actual beliefs and background would matter more.

Latest posts

Back