What is your definition of world peace?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revengineer

Reaction score
Assuming it is possible, of course. How would we know if we've achieved it, or at least close to achieving it?

My idea of world peace is that there no longer exists large groups of people who desire to bring harm to or forcibly take things from others. Where our collective energies are focused towards endeavors that benefit the species as a whole, and not just our individual "tribe." Disagreements and individual instances of crime would be inevitable as we are all human beings, but in general people would not be encouraged to violently act on their dislike/fear of others who may have different beliefs and values. And probably most importantly, someone somewhere invents a mechanism that reliably places competent people in charge of governments, and weeds out those who mainly seek to control others or acquire power.

That's... a lot of things actually. I'm starting to feel a bit cynical now :(

When everyone is accepted for their own beliefs and treat everyone as equals.

When people don't see different people as different, because we are all the same.

And when faced with a different person, they don't incite rage, criticism, or judgments upon that person.

When, despite there being diversity and difference (fresia you John Lennon, and your overly homogenized view of peace), the majority of the powers in the world work cooperatively and constructively for the greater good of humanity.

Whoa, wait a second...fresia John Lennon? Dude was a genius.

And no, they don't work in succession for peace. How many starving homeless people are out there? And the government wants to concentrate on taking away our right to privacy, as well as taking away Social Security, which would put more people out on the street.

And America seems to drown in its own deficit, which they increase by spending more and more money on needless wars, which kill innocent people who could potentially change the world for the better...

Do you really think America, the supposed land of the free, is really that great? I'd take it over any third world country, but the government do not look out for the best interest of people. Look who we put into office before Obama.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Whoa, wait a second...fresia John Lennon? Dude was a genius.

And no, they don't work in succession for peace. How many starving homeless people are out there? And the government wants to concentrate on taking away our right to privacy, as well as taking away Social Security, which would put more people out on the street.

And America seems to drown in its own deficit, which they increase by spending more and more money on needless wars, which kill innocent people who could potentially change the world for the better...

Do you really think America, the supposed land of the free, is really that great? I'd take it over any third world country, but the government do not look out for the best interest of people. Look who we put into office before Obama.
Not that I agree with the other points you made here, but when did I insinuate that we already have world peace? I wouldn't describe today as fitting my bill. And yeah, fresia John Lennon.

When people accept each other's differences and live harmoniously among each other. If only.

No war, no hunger.. And people respect each other and the nature around us, including animals.

No War. No Control. Peace to the world. No starving children. No stranded animals.

A physical impossibility, much desired & hypothesized about but invariably shown to be an ethereal pile of moonshine & bulls*** when confronted with the festering sore that is human nature.

Aside from world peace, the eminent sage & philosopher Ambrose Bierce defined it thusly:

"PEACE, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting."

The death of capitalism...

Not quite a definition, I know, but I saw an opportunity. And I like opportunities to say that.

Scotsman said:
The death of capitalism...

Not quite a definition, I know, but I saw an opportunity. And I like opportunities to say that.

There was plenty of war before capitalism, at least in the modern sense of the word. During the era when economic activity was fragmented into fiefdoms controlled by barons, dukes, etc., warfare in Europe was endemic. The USSR existed during WW2 & though it did get invaded by Germany, it was not an idle bystander--nor did Soviet Russia remain peaceful after that. Just ask anyone from Afghanistan. Having said all that, I can see why you would answer so. Modern globalized capitalism profits from wars more efficiently than any economic system prior to it.

Latest posts

Back