what to do in this world

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler92

Reaction score
i used to be a social happy kid then around 14 started spiraling downward thinking whats the point of anything. i slowly stopped going out, getting invited places and enjoying anything at all. im now almost 19 and have tried a new activite or hobby every week and still havnt found one i can stick with. i get very depressed and anxious ive never had a job for more than a few days and cheated my way through school. i dont know what to do with my life i cant seem to stay with anything. ive gone to the doctors for years getting differnt types of medication to help me out but nothing has helped. can anyone help me out? id like to talk with someone whos sharing the same troubles and try to help eachother out

First, welcome to the forum. :)

Okay, so yeah the teen years are rough, confusing, and you've done some good things and bad things (like cheating). Everyone expects you to know what you want to do with your life at your age now, and it sucks because sometimes you just don't know. I say keep with trying different things until you find something you enjoy. Stop going to doctors who are pumping medications into you, what it sounds like you need is to talk to a counselor, not like a medical one or shrink, just someone who might be able to help you figure things out. Some employment programs have people there that can help you with that, sometimes even some colleges will allow outside people to come in and see them to discuss what they might want. Of course they'll try to get you to enroll in their school.

I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life at your age either, and my mother wanted me to pick something practical. So I ended up taking Computer Programming and System Analysis and found out that I really didn't want to do Computer Programming. I've worked at a newspaper, a family shop, a furniture store as a delivery manager and sometimes sales person, and now I'm a manager of an equipment rental shop. I actually enjoy my job now even though I'm not a mechanic and never had any interest in that, but I do it anyway.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you never know where life can take you and that is part of the fun of it. You never know what you might end up doing, but you do need to stick with something longer than what it seems you have. You might not like it at first but that might be just fear and anxiety, it goes away once you get comfortable where you are. You could end up leaving a job you could have enjoyed and excelled at.

Can I ask you something? What made you spiral downwards at 14? If you used to be a social and happy kid something must have happened to change that. Understanding and dealing with what happened or changed you could be the key into turning things around for you.

tyler92 said:
i used to be a social happy kid then around 14 started spiraling downward thinking whats the point of anything. i slowly stopped going out, getting invited places and enjoying anything at all. im now almost 19 and have tried a new activite or hobby every week and still havnt found one i can stick with. i get very depressed and anxious ive never had a job for more than a few days and cheated my way through school. i dont know what to do with my life i cant seem to stay with anything. ive gone to the doctors for years getting differnt types of medication to help me out but nothing has helped. can anyone help me out? id like to talk with someone whos sharing the same troubles and try to help eachother out

What did you do after you left school? Do you work?

As I’ve said on many other posts, medication should be a last resort, talking therapies like Cognitive behaviour Therapy and Counselling are what it sounds like you need. Also being a guy I know you are probably gonna laugh at this but you should try Yoga, it can help you chill out more and focus more.

Well, tyler, completely sympathise with your problems. It's actually very good that you are looking out for help, and not trying to solve it by yourself (cause you can't). You don't have issues asking for help and that's a very good virtue. I've pretty much 'been there done that' on whatver you have said. But don't worry about life, your anxiety is a temporary phase of the end of teens; you have a lot of challenges in front of you, and I hope you'll meet them.

One clear-cut recommendation I would shove on here is this -- STOP your medications. Don't stuff your body with fantastic drugs, alcohol, nicotine etc. You'll really damage your body. Your mind is going to function well only if it is healthy. What's happened has happened, but from now on you've got to avoid 'quick-fix' approach to your pain. Avoid medicines as much as possible, especially don't ever touch those ugly anti-depressants. You have no idea how much harm you can do to your body just on the hope that PILLS will solve your life's problems. Live natural.

We are there for you. Take care.

The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.
* Pearl S. Buc

Latest posts

Back