what would you do?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys would like to know what you think on a situation Im in. Most of you can probably relate to being in a job you loathe with every fibre in your body. Well Im one of these people who hate’s there job for many reasons I can’t be asked to go into detail about since the thought of it pisses me off to the max and is way too long to write about, anyway I was recently told that I would be interviewed by a journalist for the evening standard newspaper and be filmed for another interview by some Norwegian or Swedish TV broadcaster this week (god knows why) for being one of the first “cohort” of apprentice’s for the fashion company I work for. It’s apparently a big deal because the apprenticeship Im on this new thing being tried out in the fashion industry (and crashing and failing behind the scenes) and the company I work for are trying to promote it (desperately). I honestly couldn’t give a honeysuckle and that’s putting it lightly and just plainly out of principle I refuse to take part in the pretence. All my employer cares about is getting government money for each apprentice they take on, promoting it just give the company more coverage in the media and getting cheap labour is just a bonus for them as I am that cheap labour. From my entire experience with this company as an apprentice, I haven’t learned anything relevant to the course Im on, haven’t been given any on the job training but have been given dull, mundane and repetitive task to do for a job. I have been miss treated on many occasions as well as being lied to and lied on, ripped off and cheated and that’s just my experience alone, some other apprentices have had it much worse. The company I work for are morally corrupted in more ways than one and I Just dislike the idea of having to lie to other similar adolescent teens about the company and my experience just for their mercenary gain and company coverage all at the price of screwing up another young adults career prospects and 18months of their life. I refuse to be part of it even if it means putting my job on the line and would like to know what you guys think? If you were in my situation or are in or have been in a similar situation, what would you do?

That sucks. I was in a bad job once, boss treated people like honeysuckle and his own puppets to manipulate and control. When people asked me what it was like working for him, I'd give them one of two responses, "it's a job" or if I knew them and knew they didn't think much of my boss I'd tell them "I don't think I need to answer that for you to know." Most people got the impression that my boss was a jackass, so there was no need to cover it up. If I was in your situation I'd decline to do it. If you detest the job that much it will come through on camera, you can always tell when people don't want to be there.

I think you answered your own question, seems like you are one of those people who's integrety is more important than money. I think you should not promote it, in the end you will gain respect because you respect yourself.

I agree with Sci-Fi and whispers. Listen to what your intuition is telling you. If your gut tells you its wrong, speak up or quit. Though that's easy for me to say and difficult to actually do. If it was only having to bite your lip and just do your job I'd say just push on through for however long you have left, but if you feel this company is corrupt and harmful to your peers I think you have to do what you feel is right. I admire your principles. And I wish you the best in whichever you decision you choose/chose.

I recently had a job where I suffered in regards to integrity and self worth. That position was the longest eight months of my life and the first job I had in twenty- five years that I would wake up in the morning with thoughts of not going to work. I toughed it out due to family commitment and proximity to home but the toll it took on me morally and physically was like nothing I've ever experienced. I never want to experience being that miserable again.

The day I was going to give my notice was interesting. Just as I was going to quit I got laid off- the irony of that was a lay-off meant I was entitled to an extra week of pay. Even better though, I was given a job offer that I had pursued for a couple of months later that day- karma?

I hope you find (or have found) resolution, it sucks to be in a job that takes away from you instead of helping you grow. The leadership of the company I worked with treated people like honeysuckle then wondered why they had so many obstacles in their path- they had a complete lack of respect. I learned a lot from that.

Wishing you success in breaking free of the tyrants you face.

Latest posts

Back