When trying to be nice is Interpreted wrong.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I've gotten into the habit of telling random people i like their shoes or their coat. Sometimes their hair.

I get one of two reactions:

1.) A warm smile and a thank you.

2.) An uncomfortable thank you

whenever I get the second I feel like a creeper that's been checking people out. Like that guy that hides behind the hedges watching beautiful women go by without their knowledge.

I got the second reaction from a guy in an elevator. He had longish brown hair and had it swept back in an aristocratic way. I was busy thinking of how he'd be good as Wolfman in a victorian-set movie. So i told him i liked his hair, and got an uncomfortable thank you in response, which made me feel like a creeper.

Another time I can think of that i got the second response this this:

I was in biology class and this girl had on a beautiful gold pendant on the end of a necklace. So I told her it looked nice, and her response was to drop it behind her shirt as though I'd steal it. It made me feel bad, because that's not what i meant or why i said it. Like I was coveting it or something. I wasn't!

Awkward.

I often find that when i try to be nice to people it comes out wrong.

Like the other week I told my room mate I would help her with papers if she needed it because I saw a paper of hers on her desk that was all marked up in red. She gave me a look as though I were invading her privacy and then asked "why do you offer?", and i had to say "oh, uhm, just wanted to help." and that was the end of that.

another example:

an aquaintance of mine told me her room mate was suicidal and that she had been sent to a mental hospital. When the room mate got back, i ran into her at the computer lab and told her that i was on an antidepressant and that i'd had those feeling before. Of course she asked how I knew and i had to tell her that her room mate told me. Which made me feel as though I shouldn't have said anything to her. Nowadays she says hello whenever i walk by her. Which I guess tells me she appreciated what I said, maybe.

I saw a boy crying in an elevator and wanted to wipe away his tear, but being socially awkward, i didn't. I instead told his friends (who were female) that i had seen him crying and that i was concerned. Afterwards he came up to me and said "you said you saw me crying. I wasn't crying." as though trying to confuse me. I knew what i saw though, and said " i was just concerned." he continued to try to get me to unsee what i saw. After that He acted as though I didn't exist.

This is why I don't bother helping people or talking to people, and try to avoid them. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong in any of these cases. Because our society is messed up, people don't expect to be treated nicely and think you have ulterior motives when you do.

That's why you don't bother random people. Although, some time last year, I told the lady at the DMV place that she smelled beautiful - it was true, her perfume was incredible, and it was a perfume I'd grew up knowing because my mom and mommom wore it - and she was flattered. Not only did she make sure we weren't there for an hour, she found a way to make my brother's fine cheaper.

Sometimes you hit. Sometimes you miss.

It's sad isn't it Sophia, that your kind intentions are seen as suspicious.
It's their loss though, you keep spreading the love.:cool:

I think that's nice that you compliment people, but yeah, some will take it the wrong way. I'm trying to think of the last time I've complimented a stranger... I know it's been awhile though. I try to wave and say hello to people if I walk by them (when Im at the park or something) but I never do it when I'm in a store. I used to...

In a lonely place said:
It's their loss though, you keep spreading the love.:cool:

exactely, just keep doing it.
if people cant handle it its their **** problem.
you might make some one that really needed it feel better.
making a few people feel uncomfortable (with is their problem and not your fault) is a small price to pay ;)

SophiaGrace said:
flaneur said:
SophiaGrace said:
flaneur said:
Be a *****

by being a ***** do you mean not give a honeysuckle? :)

Yes! Screw them! :club:

how is that being mean though? aka a *****.

Well, I did mean be mean in the sense that you stop being nice/complimenting them. That entails not caring what they think so I just decided I'd say yes. Easier than explaining all of that, haha.

It's for reasons like this that I have social anxiety. I try to have a normal conversation, and usually end up feeling like a creeper.

Some people don't know how to take a compliment or an offer. It's like they are trained to believe that people are always after something. Even if your roommate didn't want help, she could of just said "No but thanks" and left it at that.

SophiaGrace said:
I saw a boy crying in an elevator and wanted to wipe away his tear, but being socially awkward, i didn't. I instead told his friends (who were female) that i had seen him crying and that i was concerned. Afterwards he came up to me and said "you said you saw me crying. I wasn't crying." as though trying to confuse me. I knew what i saw though, and said " i was just concerned." he continued to try to get me to unsee what i saw. After that He acted as though I didn't exist.

How old was he, out of interest?

Males in general are very touchy about crying sometimes. I cry every now and then and I don't mind discussing it, but it would greatly embarrass me if my friends were to actually witness me doing it or hear of me doing it.

So perhaps, if he wasn't very young, he simply took it the wrong way.

Ah.. I know this experience well..
It is so very frustrating, to only wish well, but the response received is negative.
Because similar experiences, I have become very discouraged to say any nice thing to people...
But I wonder, maybe we should not become discouraged, and continue to try to be nice to people, and maybe it will become more common over all, and less people suspicious about it.
If not that, maybe joy of just one person with a positive feeling from it, can "make up" for all those who give a negative response.

Sophia, please please please don't change. :) I've had similar experiences where a compliment gets misinterpreted, a kindness goes unnoticed or a joke meant to uplift is taken the opposite way. If you keep being yourself one of these days it will be rewarded with a thank you, a smile or perhaps something better you never expected. The disconnect is that you're probably hyper-aware of yourself, your surroundings and that makes you sweetly empathetic and considerate. Most people are either too busy or lack the self-awareness. Obviously if they were in your shoes they'd understand each gesture, but that's their problem. They don't put themself in your or others' shoes. I know it's frustrating, believe me. But I've been fortunate to have had a few good experiences in similar situations that made all the awkward ones worth it. Anyway, thanks for sharing. And best of luck to you. :)

The answer may be in the title... "trying"

Sometimes we try too hard.

Things can appear forced.

Out of place.

Out of time.

Random.

Incongruent.

I do NOT go out of my way to be "nice" to anyone.

Matter of fact, I'm a gardenia to most people.

Frito Bandito said:
The answer may be in the title... "trying"

Sometimes we try too hard.

Things can appear forced.

Out of place.

Out of time.

Random.

Incongruent.

I do NOT go out of my way to be "nice" to anyone.

Matter of fact, I'm a gardenia to most people.

I agree. If you try to be anybody but yourself or do anything that makes you uncomfortable, people can usually pick up on it and can tell you're not being genuine.

Just look at Mitt Romney as he tries to appease every voter in his path. That guy is a fake though and through.

Frito Bandito said:
I'm a gardenia to most people.

Maybe that's why you are lonely

FreedomFromLiberty said:
If you try to be anybody but yourself or do anything that makes you uncomfortable, people can usually pick up on it and can tell you're not being genuine.

So, by this logic, someone that has social anxiety should not try to fight their anxiety and talk to people even though it makes them extremely fearful and uncomfortable?

I used to suffer from crippling social anxiety.

My cure, and I am cured now, was NOT to talk to people.

It was to stop giving a fresia what people thought about me and do my own thing.

Latest posts

Back