Where were you on 9/11/01?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SofiasMami

Reaction score
I was getting ready to go back to work after a vacation. I had flown back from upstate New York to California on Sept. 8. I turned on the t.v. and saw the Pentagon in smoke, then saw the first tower fall. As I drove to work, the radio station I was listening to was doing live updates on the situation and I remember thinking "at least one tower is still standing". They announced the 2nd tower had fallen and I literally thought the world was ending. It was at least a month before I felt ok with laughing again. :(

Teresa

At home, glued to our TV screen, following the news. Has it really been 10 years? It still feels like just a few months ago.

Sitting in 7th grade math class, all the rest of the classes were glued to the TV except us. Our instructor stated "They wanted to construct a building that would withstand the impact of an aircraft, and they were successful. No reason to keep watching." And continued to teach his lesson without giving it a second thought.

I came downstairs and turned on the tv to see the smoke coming from the first tower. My instant reaction was that it was some terrible accident. Of course after seeing the second plane go into the second tower as I watched I realised it wasn't. I must have watched for some hours after that. I wouldn't say I agreed with the coverage. It verged on ghoulish. It was already an unthinkably horric act and didn't need all the ways they seemed to be drumming home how poignant it was. The modern media is awful in that way.

annik said:
I wouldn't say I agreed with the coverage. It verged on ghoulish. It was already an unthinkably horric act and didn't need all the ways they seemed to be drumming home how poignant it was. The modern media is awful in that way.

I agree totally. I have a visceral reaction whenever I see the planes slamming into the WTC and the towers collapsing. I think of the lives ending at that moment and I always turn the channel or turn the tv off. But the past few days I've watched a few shows about the survivors of 9/11, if only to keep my silent promise to "never forget".

I flew a few months after 9/11 and remember thinking maybe I shouldn't get on an airplane and maybe it wasn't safe. But then I thought the terrorists would win if I cancelled my travel plans. When I flew, I watched the other passengers to make sure no funny stuff went on.
I was angry but said nothing in the airport when a security agent hand-searched my luggage but didn't bother to check one of the side pockets. I could have hidden plastic explosives in there and she didn't even do a thorough search. Then I was scared on the plane when a flight attendant angrily got on the loudspeaker and said that was the 3rd time she said not to form a line waiting for the bathroom near the cockpit.
I still watch the other passengers carefully when I get on a plane these days.

Teresa

I was in 5th grade and still on summer break, I spent the morning watching the morning cartoons and the when they were interupted for the coverage...I spent the whole day watching the news, hearing each update that came out on the news and radio.

I had turned on the tv and was eating my breakfast and watching the news like I did every day before work. I saw the first plane sticking out of one of the towers. My immediate thought was that it was a terrorist attack. Then, the second plane slammed into the second tower. I couldn't believe that that was happening it was crazy. I had never seen anything like that before in my life. So sad.

I don't remember anymore, but I probably was at the home watching TV.

I was only 7-years-old... :(

Can't recall. Maybe in school. Oddly enough, I do recall where I was when Princess Di ended up dead. Maybe my memory's been progressively getting worse as I've grown into a bitter old man before my time.

I had just woke up and was in the Living Room when the phone rang and my friend told me to turn on the TV. I told her that what was on there was some kind of Science Fiction, that it couldn't be real. A call beeped in, just as the second plane hit the tower. It was my Sister telling me to turn on the TV too. Even though it was a very long time before that, I used to work 1 1/2 blocks from the World Trade Center. My Christmas Parties were at Windows on the World on the top Floor of World Trade Tower #1, I used to shop in the lobby of the towers, eat lunch at the restaurants, and meet a friend or two after work for drinks. I felt so sick to my stomach and had this strange feeling that there was going to be another war. I hate that I was right.

SofiasMami said:
annik said:
I wouldn't say I agreed with the coverage. It verged on ghoulish. It was already an unthinkably horrific act and didn't need all the ways they seemed to be drumming home how poignant it was. The modern media is awful in that way.

I agree totally. I have a visceral reaction whenever I see the planes slamming into the WTC and the towers collapsing. I think of the lives ending at that moment and I always turn the channel or turn the tv off. But the past few days I've watched a few shows about the survivors of 9/11, if only to keep my silent promise to "never forget".

I flew a few months after 9/11 and remember thinking maybe I shouldn't get on an airplane and maybe it wasn't safe. But then I thought the terrorists would win if I cancelled my travel plans. When I flew, I watched the other passengers to make sure no funny stuff went on.
I was angry but said nothing in the airport when a security agent hand-searched my luggage but didn't bother to check one of the side pockets. I could have hidden plastic explosives in there and she didn't even do a thorough search. Then I was scared on the plane when a flight attendant angrily got on the loudspeaker and said that was the 3rd time she said not to form a line waiting for the bathroom near the cockpit.
I still watch the other passengers carefully when I get on a plane these days.

Teresa

I've not really watched a lot of the anniversary programs here. I did watch one on conspiracy theories, I find those sorts of things interesting though I rarely believe them mainly because there is so much actual evidence that seems to disprove them.

I've not flown since mainly because I've only ever flown once in my life. I'm not sure how I'd feel now although with the time thats pasted I'd like to think I could look at things rationally. You're right though you have to just carry on with life as normal because thats how you show you won't let them win.

Todd said:
I saw the first plane sticking out of one of the towers. My immediate thought was that it was a terrorist attack.

I was convinced it was an accident to begin with. I'm not sure if that just makes me naive. I'm British and so the IRA is something thats got ever close to me. I would say that kind of terrorism I'd be aware of. But to see that it never even entered my head that could be on purpose.

SofiasMami said:
I flew a few months after 9/11 and remember thinking maybe I shouldn't get on an airplane and maybe it wasn't safe. But then I thought the terrorists would win if I cancelled my travel plans.

shortly after, i flew on a business trip with five other *big burly tradesmen* across the country

believe me when i say we had an agreement that if anything went down on that plane, we were gonna flight 93 the motherfuckers

with an extreme vengeance.

I must have been sleeping or getting up for school when it happened (7th grade). My view of the world would be changed that day.

I remember telling my mom the previous night, that the only thing I really feared happening was a terrorist attack, because I had been into a lot of Tom Clancy novels and games at the time.

I was at home. My mum got a phone call from my Uncle, who apparently sounded really shaken up for the first time she'd ever heard. He just said "Turn on the news, they've actually done it."

After that we just watched the news coverage of it all. I was a child back then, but the horror of it still hit me hard.

It was kind of like time stopped as it happened. It felt like it was all in slow motion, like I was witnessing something that was impossible.

Latest posts

Back