why did I even go

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubblebeam said:
I know your ultimate question is much deeper, but regarding parties, plenty of people aren't into them and there's nothing wrong with that. Don't be someone you aren't and do things just to satisfy others' social or cultural expectations. Believe me other quieter people do exist, they're just difficult to find due to the nature of being such a person. I find it's easier to accept yourself when having a friend or partner who is the same. Like in school, you stick to your pack so to speak, and for me that was always the fellow "outcasts" or quiet people. There is a strength and comfort in numbers when you're that type of person, it's just finding them that can be difficult, particularly in western culture.

I have noticed, my brothers friends are mostly Indian men of his own age and older. He gets along with them better because their culture is not as loud and outspoken as the culture we come from. I've noticed Asian folks tend to be more on the quieter side as well. We have Asian neighbours with a toddler and you'll never hear a peep out of them, but they're very kind if you approach them. The rest of the street however, are loudmouthed party going typical Australians. I prefer those Asians above and beyond the others because they seem far more respectful and thoughtful of those around them, whereas the western way of thinking tends to be along the selfish lines of "I'm going to have fun and sod anyone around me who doesn't like that".

I'm going off track with this but, my point is to remember that culture plays a large part in how people behave. We tend to think being outspoken and social is THE way to be, but that's only by one cultures standards. In some places in the world, the outgoing person would be the black sheep. Don't they find even direct eye contact disrespectful in Japan, for example?

The world's a big place, and that's something that comforts me when I feel alone in that there are many people and many personalities. I don't know if this post even makes any sense, but I tried to put these thoughts down in the hopes that it might help you just a little.

What you are saying is very true, I agree. However we forgot to think of the smaller subgroups, which aren't cultures, but like...groups of interests. We just have to find people who are in the same frequency field that we are. And that is a whole lotta work to do. Not easy.

Latest posts

Back