Why do I have to be so quiet?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I went and met a girl in town today who I'd been speaking to on msn, which is a big thing for me, not really sure if it was a date but seemed almost like one. I have never had a girlfriend etc and live quite an isolated life.
I knew it would be hard but it was even worse than I thought. While she talked I just had nothing to say back, nothing about me or my life seemed worth talking about. At one point she asked are you quite shy? I admitted I was, not sure I should have. Anyway I barely spoke and now I don't think she will be interested in the same way. I don't have the energy to speak and be funny to people in the real world like I do on msn. When she made comments about the snow, how pretty something was etc I just don't care, I'm too dead inside, I have to fake even mild enthusiasm, the only thing I like is comedy, but found it hard to bring this side of me out to her. Not exactly looking for advice more just wanted to share this and wondering if any others have similar experiences.

I had that problem. Although, I'm usually very talkative online, I never could talk to people in real life. I'm better about it now, but it took a lot of practice and sucking up the insecurities I have and the panic attacks.
As far as being dead inside, I don't think anyone is. I felt like I was for a long time, but the simple fact was that I didn't WANT to care, I didn't WANT to feel, so I didn't let myself.

Keep trying, it can only get better.

I too have that problem sometimes. In general I'm a very talkative guy, but now and then I have mood swings that make me all quiet and uninterested in anything. I think this is something that can be dealt in time. I have the impression that you're a young guy, so you have nothing to worry about. All it takes is some practice. Why don't you give the girl a call, apologize for the other day and say you want to see her again?

You sound like you are depressed Alex. :/

Ever get treatment for depression?

Yes. It also seems to me as if you are suffering from a form of depression, and also self esteem. I sometimes have trouble with shyness when I first meet people but after I have known them for a while the shyness goes.

do not apologize that most likely will repell her. I know what its like to feel dead inside. MY suggestion is to find things you enjoy that dont envolve people. find that spark that will inginte your passion for life again.

i don't think everyone has to be 'exciting' and all that. so many are worried about being boring, etc., but i don't think its a bad thing at all myself. i hope it works out for you.

I use to have that problem, seems pretty normal, you might just need extra time o warm up to people.
i use to have that problem, and sometimes still do.
The best way to overcome it, it's to force yourself to say something, no matter how awkward you sound.
Sometimes even telling the person that it takes you a long time to warm up to someone, helps,, because most likely they'll think it's them.

Don't fret, I use to be the same, it's cool.

Alex said:
I went and met a girl in town today who I'd been speaking to on msn, which is a big thing for me, not really sure if it was a date but seemed almost like one. I have never had a girlfriend etc and live quite an isolated life.

Hey man, that was me 'til four years ago, ish. Complete with a girl I liked on the internet and met in real life, only to fall flat on my face in the most horrible of ways.

It's possible to come out of it. You need some bricks to build with, though. Gotta go make some bricks first.

I knew it would be hard but it was even worse than I thought. While she talked I just had nothing to say back, nothing about me or my life seemed worth talking about. I don't have the energy to speak and be funny to people in the real world like I do on msn.

Well, yeah! You've got two issues, here:

-As you admit, your life is sort of lacking in the activity/experience department. Experiences, opinions, thoughts and stories are the grease and fuel for the social gearworks.

-You are probably, to some degree, an introvert. We don't just enjoy time to ourselves, we -need- it. To socialize, you need to gradually build up a tolerance for being around people in order to find out how you fit in and see how to enjoy it. Trust me, it takes some time. You may also have depression or anxiety problems which act as energy drains. BAD energy drains.

Again, you need bricks, to build some towers and eventually a castle. When people see your castle, they will be intrigued by it. Who doesn't like castles?

When she made comments about the snow, how pretty something was etc I just don't care, I'm too dead inside, I have to fake even mild enthusiasm, the only thing I like is comedy, but found it hard to bring this side of me out to her.

See #2 above. Then, see #2 above -a second time-.

Hey, I can absolutely relate. My first 'date' was a girl I met in a video game and decided I was in love with. I met her in real life. She was fantastically gorgeous, but was cold as ice from that moment on. I believe she was going through some changes as a person, because she expressed as much. But a lot of it was because I was boring and lacking in substance, and shy/sheltered/quiet.

My second, third, fourth, fifth dates with other girls were equally successful.

But I deadened my fear of talking to women, slowly. I learned how to talk to them and be at ease on a date. Dude, three years ago the thought of talking to a girl and going on a date would literally bring me to the edge of a panic attack complete with a side of chest pain. Now? I'm no cassanova, but I do have a girlfriend. And she's pretty cool. Totally worth it.

We talked about bricks a little. Bricks are experiences, aspects of you. You build them as you live and when you grow as a person. But you can't be afraid to try. Start with simple things to occupy you that will yield big rewards: Start working out, learn to cook. Find something interesting to study, some kind of mythology or history subject, be able to talk about it. Take a communications class at a community college and learn how to talk without being fearful. Heck, join Toastmasters! They're specifically tailored to teach you that.

I did those first three, and the results are incredible. First I became more attractive, more -confident- (it worked). Then I gained something to talk about and interest the right female (it worked). Finally, I built the tower with some mortar: I'm able to cook an awesome meal (even cooking vegetarian), and that just brought it all together. Suddenly you're not 'that boring, awkward guy' who stares at his shoes. You're the 'Wow, hes so interesting and different!' guy.

I know you weren't looking for advice. But I've shared my experience, similar to yours. Take what you will of it.

Hi Alex.

Its OK I think to tell her your shy. Nothing wroung with being honest. I would say thats the best way to go.
just try and explain if you can that its not her its just your a bit shy why getting to know someone.

I normally have plenty to say around ppl I know and even strangers. But the minute you put me with say a girl am trying to impress and maybe hoping to make a good imprison I would set there and my mind would just go blank.
I normally do get over this after a few times of seeing the person that am trying to make a good impression with.
There is am sure a lot of girls out there that dig shy guys. You just gotta keep telling yourself you have nothing to loss by keep trying and everything to gain. That's what I try and tell myself anyway.

lol same prob here

a girl said i am not good company and thats not a good sighn

but i am trying to talk more

if you talk ppl wont just ignor you esecpt those high classs bitches dam i hate those ppl , there is one in my grad everyone kinda dislike her

just start talking to ur guy friends if u get the talking good start talking to girls a bout school just till you used to talking to them than go to the next lvl ask her about her weekend, that will show that you are intrested in what she do

but enyways if u talk to her shy wont bite your head off ass long as you dont say something stupid like , makeing fun of her apperance only do that if shy says like her hair have a bad day then you can joke but not to mutch

and dont get iretating she wont like that

i know its easy said and hard to do
but ya whats not hard in life?, nothing

and u have to pay for everyting

but love/famaly/friends are free so take it if you get the chance

good luck

Latest posts

Back