Why do I want to jump in?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having just recently tried online dating, I found myself in hysterics...lol.
I was contacted by someone and we talked for about two weeks and then met for a drink.
I was immediately upset that he did not kiss me good night even though we both said we wanted to do things right and be cautious, take it slow. I immediately freaked and got depressed and assumed he wasn't interested.
However, after calming myself down I realize that maybe that's not the case, and I am just overreacting. We just met in person to see how things went. It didn't even qualify as a date. I think the chemistry was there and it seemed to work well.
Maybe its a female thing, but I'm not used to this whole waiting and guessing game. I know I overanalyze everything. We barely know each other. Knowing him, a few days could go by before I hear from him again and that would be normal for him.
I don't know if its a female thing, or if I'm not used to the whole online dating thing, but why do i want to jump in? i've calmed down since, and realize that its no big deal if it doesn't work out. But it made me realize that I instantly think of jumping in and we'll be dating in no time.
Sorry...I'm just ranting at myself and my newfound discovery that I obviously overreact over things : )

You were probably just excited over a potential relationship, and it caused you to briefly forget about wanting to take things slow. Don't be so hard on yourself, you just got a little excited and then disappointed.

I've got a friend who is... a serial dater. I'd much rather err on the side of taking things slowly and making sure you get things right. Don't get hung up on the details - get in touch if you want to meet again. Not right away, but don't wait and wait and wait either!

I'm far too scared to even dip my toe in the water. Probably too soon anyway (phew).

It's a first date. Give him a week and if he doesn't call then don't put all your eggs in one basket because there are other guys out there that you could give a chance and see where it goes. Could the reason why you want to jump in be because you're touch starved and it's been so long since you've had a good kiss? If that's true then I can totally relate to that. Do take it slow but I also think that if he doesn't kiss you by the second or third date tops then maybe he's not really feeling you.

I would be scared to death if some female I met for the first time tried to kiss me.
I find it odd enough when they hug me.

just don't rush! don't rush him, and don't rush yourself, and don't overreact. Go slowly if you like him, and we he likes you and everything will be just fine, trust me!

LittlegirlLost said:
Maybe its a female thing, but I'm not used to this whole waiting and guessing game.

No, it's not a female thing. It's a you thing. I also don't believe it was guessing either when you say that the both of you wanted to take your time. Going at a slower pace isn't guessing. It's making sure that you're positive you want something from it.

Latest posts

Back