Why We Might Be Single

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good article, and totally true.

Also what complicates things in the dating world nowadays is the fact that we are very superficial as a world and as a culture. Even those who claim to be more 'enlightened' than that, subconsciously mirror the behavior of superficiality that is so pervasive all around us.

Most people have a set list of criteria in someone they date, let's be honest. It's usually something like:

- height
- weight
- hair color
- voice
- clothes
- outgoing
- sexual
- etc

If more people had a list like this, they would have more successful relationships:

- honest
- loyal
- loving
- committed
- moral / ethical
- thoughtful
- trustworthy
- compassionate

I'm not getting the article, all I get are the links to the right and an image of a blonde with her head in her hand. :(

Joseph said:

Also what complicates things in the dating world nowadays is the fact that we are very superficial as a world and as a culture. Even those who claim to be more 'enlightened' than that, subconsciously mirror the behavior of superficiality that is so pervasive all around us.

Most people have a set list of criteria in someone they date, let's be honest. It's usually something like:

- height
- weight
- hair color
- voice
- clothes
- outgoing
- sexual
- etc

If more people had a list like this, they would have more successful relationships:

- honest
- loyal
- loving
- committed
- moral / ethical
- thoughtful
- trustworthy
- compassionate

Dude you're preaching to the choir, because in reality society doesn't really care about or understand the meaning of honesty and all that other stuff. I care about it and I wish I was noticed for those things but Society is often hypocritical and fickle.

Edit:
I read your post too fast. We're both saying the same thing. My apologies.

I agree with the article. And some of you guys aren't getting it, I think. You're saying society is superficial, so basically no one is looking for someone like you. The article warns against that type of thinking for GOOD REASON. Look at all the ugly married people in the world. Someone desires them. Someone wants someone just like you as well.

I think that kind of negative thinking makes it so that you don't put yourself out there and meet new people. People can also sense that kind of negative thinking in you if you have it and start thinking of you that way too.

I'm so ugly to be honest and unattractive, but somehow I get boyfriends. Trust me, it's weird to me as well. I just know that if I can, anyone can. They just need to find the right person/people. There's lots of guys out there who would not, under any circumstances, date me, but I ignore those guys and try to find the ones who will/would.

Enchanted Girl said:
I agree with the article. And some of you guys aren't getting it, I think. You're saying society is superficial, so basically no one is looking for someone like you. The article warns against that type of thinking for GOOD REASON. Look at all the ugly married people in the world. Someone desires them. Someone wants someone just like you as well.

I think that kind of negative thinking makes it so that you don't put yourself out there and meet new people. People can also sense that kind of negative thinking in you if you have it and start thinking of you that way too.

I'm so ugly to be honest and unattractive, but somehow I get boyfriends. Trust me, it's weird to me as well. I just know that if I can, anyone can. They just need to find the right person/people. There's lots of guys out there who would not, under any circumstances, date me, but I ignore those guys and try to find the ones who will/would.

I agree with what you've said, although I wouldn't call other people or yourself "ugly". I might say "not stereotypically beautiful". Do you REEEEAAAALLLY think you are ugly when you look in the mirror? I believe that is conditioning that most of us need to break. Time to throw away the Cosmo magazines that say anorexia and being shaped like a preteen scandinavian boy are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing AFrozensoul. It only gives some insight on failed dates but it doesnt mention anything on not getting dates at all. Thats my case :(

All this article is telling you is to be an optimist instead of a pessimist. Pessimistic, uncharismatic, and unconfident people are not attractive. Find confidence in yourself, and someone will love you. Period. :/

Its all good...just bumps on the road.

Stop N smell the roses..and fresia Rose too she lets ya....

if you want sex...you gatta keep on asken...

Sex is just going to have to do until True love comes along.

You cant gice what you dont have...

Rule #62...dont take urself so god **** serious..Oops I mean get fucken shallow.

The fuckin trips is also part of the journey to Walmart...

Geeting dates???....
I woke up oneday very upset @ my Exwf..becuz she went And put my fucken heart into the fucken blender again. The broken promises again as I waited her her to fill my soul...
Then the fucken ***** had the odacity to tell me to go to church to safe my soul.. Bless her heart..cuz she knew there I would get hitted on by church girls.... She also got me to hate her...cuz I love her ..The hate I have for her would make it easier for me to get over her and move on with my life ...but I already these things..cuz I have all the fucken answers :p
She also knew I suffer from the Ill show U ***** syndrom...another way of putting it is...LIVE WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE.
I simpply made a decision to be happy no matter what..even when tears crashed around me @ first.

Meeting other women???
Its as easy as saying " HI SWEETIE"..

There's nothing to be sad about if you're single because in time someone will come, just wait and don't feel bad if someone rejected or dumped you. Just be optimist.

Enchanted Girl said:

There is something beautiful in everyone, enchantedgirl, I don't know what you actually look like but I'm betting its not as bad as you think. People can have unconventional looks but a sparkle in their eyes, or a beautiful spirit. I'm sure people are drawn to you for many reasons. I look at picture of myself from years ago and I think- why was I so self conscious? I was thin then! LOL so now I have a new reason for self consciousness as I've become a little chubby. That is my new excuse for not being in a relationship which is not true because there are many people out there heavier than me who have found love.

I look for everrything on both list.
The priorty of those things vari
for each indiviual.

Theress a flip side to everything....
Jenni used to tell me one of quality
she like about me is that Im Loyal.
at he other end of that same stick is
Im kindda co dependent.
I was loyal to Sherry..even though that
relationship went south and toxic on her end. I stayed and stayed

I also believe the list of qualities
on both of the list is about actually
keeping people single...
Same old song and dance...THE PERFECT PARTNER.

Poeple change during a course of a relationship...sometime people grow
togehter. other times people grow apart.

Sometime...people reform
such as a bad boy got better.
Othertimes its a good girl gone bad.

we people first meet...
we apt to see the good quality we seeking for...we over look thier flaws.
Motnhs or years into the relationship..
after the honey moon stage is over.
or having to live with someone, you
apt notice thier flaws more.

Dating...you dont see the other person all the time..

I also disagree the notion that good looking arnt captiable being kind, loving, or considerate.
No one is perfect.

So your saying...being tolerable for a site for sore eyes than tolerable of an abusive person...

Your assume ugly people are nice automatically.

Poeple stay single becuase theyre afraid to get hurted......

Jenni was almost the perfect women.
She was beautiful inside and out.
She had a great career..so she wasnt
giging for gold....A well round indivual.
A bad girl gone good actually..
She looks like the girl next door..but if she dress in business clothe. She looks stundenly hawt. She bascially a pretty woman...

Why would I write this??
SHE DIED..
by default I became single again...
I stayed single for a while becuase
in the simpliest way...
I didnt want to take a chance on loving
again becuase I was afraid of getting huirted..

Nothing is garantee in life.

Joseph said:

- height
- weight
- hair color
- voice
- clothes
- outgoing
- sexual
- etc

- honest
- loyal
- loving
- committed
- moral / ethical
- thoughtful
- trustworthy
- compassionate

Agreed completely

I have so many explanations as to why I'm single, I don't even know where to begin. My lack of confidence is only part of it; there was a time where I had loads of confidence, after all - I didn't simply wake up one morning and think "Hey, I'm pretty worthless, no one will ever love me!". :p

I'm single because I tend to get my hopes way, way up for something that isn't that reliable, and when it inevitably blows up in my face, I get a little more bitter and cynical. Right now I've been waiting for five hours at the school alone because a girl said she might go to a bar with me. Even if she doesn't show up, I didn't have anything better to do.

I.O. said:
I'm single because I tend to get my hopes way, way up for something that isn't that reliable, and when it inevitably blows up in my face, I get a little more bitter and cynical. Right now I've been waiting for five hours at the school alone because a girl said she might go to a bar with me. Even if she doesn't show up, I didn't have anything better to do.

I have the same problem, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back