Why?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I have been feeling depressed for a few days now. I find myself wanting to hide and not much in a mood to talk. There are things about myself that I wish to change. One of them is being able to have the wisdom and guts to speak up to people at work.

The last night I worked, I had a man who was actively dying. His wife, who was alone, stayed with him. She was so pitiful. She spoke to him so softly and lovingly and told him it was ok to go to heaven.
They had been together for many many years and they loved each other very much. She would break down often and cry for him. He had begun to get what is refered to as the "death rattle". I was giving him medication to dry it up but sometimes, the medication doesn't work. She was so afraid that he was "drowning" and she wept as she asked me if he was. She said his biggest fear was drowning at death. Truth be told, the answer was yes. He was.
His lungs were filling up. But thats beside the point of this post.

This poor lady was grieving and hurt and had no one. How painful to watch someone you love die...and how horrible it is to watch them filling up with fluid when it was thier worst fear. It tormented her and it took a lot of encouagement and caring to relieve her fears that he was somehow suffering. I stayed with her most of the night. I did my best to comfort her and at one time, I held her as she cried. So sad that the only comfort she had was a nurse. I comfoted her and her husband the best that I could. Towards the end of the night she asked if she could lay sown beside him like they had done for so many years. She felt it would comfort him in his journey to passing over. The obvious answer was yes. Ofcourse she could. She was so happy to have that. Permission to lay beside the man she loved one last night. She put her arm around him as she had for many years.
Then...the day supervisor came in. He is a mean, arrogant, prick. Plain and simple and our personalities clash like water and oil.
When he found out about the bed having been moved to accomadate her, he said the staff had to get around the bed and it had to be moved back. The truth is the only time anyone has to get around the bed (usually) is when a patient is turned. We turn them every 4 hours and so it would have been a inconvience to take 5 extra minutes to move a bed to turn this man 4 times in a twelve hour shift. A small price to pay so the woman could lay beside her dying husband. Wouldn't you say? Well, I should have said something but, I didn't. I don't know why I just didn't pipe up and tell him what I thought. That's not true. I do know. I was afraid to because of his position. I was a coward. Not that it would have changed anything but at least I could have been more proactive for the family. I feel I failed in some way. I failed the poor lady and I failed myself for not standing up to him and telling him what I thought. I don't know if this makes sense and Im too tired to fix it sooooo..here it is.

Naleena,

I hope that you NEVER stop being exactly who are. You have a kindness and compassion that The Jerk will never have. You are miles above him. As for not speaking up, well, he IS your boss and you DO have to feed yourself, so there was no need to risk your job. The very fact that your patient's wife got to at least have a little time laying beside her husband was enough. Not many people would have gone out of their way to make that happen. You are not inferior for not speaking up. The Jerk is inferior for not having an ounce of compassion for his patients.
(((((((Naleena)))))))

I hate that feeling. However you have to realize that you are technically under no obligation. And luckily specifically in this case, There wasn't too much that was lost, she got to be with him as he died, she had what was seemingly a great life with him. It's not on your shoulders that some other dude came in and jerked it all up.

fresia that dude and dont figure it out Nalee.
Let it go....dont fix it.

If you hold on, resist or want to fight back....youre being control. Its a paradox.

mmm...an anology,
If you hold on...it's like holding on to a leash of a mean dog and getting dragged.
In other words youre emotions are being dragged around.

mmmm...its sort of like dealing egotistic alcoholic sob..99.99999% are egotistic arrogant sons of bitches
and don't give a fresia or are considerate of others.

Of course you were afraid...your lively hood depended on it. Your security got
threathen. Let go of that security too.
It dose not mean you approve of his conduct.
You're simply just letting go of these bad feelings that's effecting you.
fresia that dude.

You can't change him..you can only change yourself.

Yes...it feels familar dosn't it? You feel as if you failed everyone and yourself all your life.
You're not responisble for someone's else fresia ups...Your side of the street is clean.
Do not turn it inward and beat up yourself. Give yourself a break...just LET GO of the
guilt (faults guilt).

That women will always remember that moment she got to laid by her husband...As brieft
as it might be..She will always remember that. And she will always remember you...
That's more than good enough.

Notice other feelings of guilt of not being good enough or doing enough are also being brought up or retriggered.
LET GO of those as well...

hey that reminds me of Scrubs...that mean old fart doctor that fucks with everybody,
but people laugh at him all the time.

mmmm..im fucken mean. I'd wipe coodies on his fucken door knob or under the door
handle of his car.

If you really, really need someone to fix...You can FIX me ..I'll let you :p
Btw...I 've been known to get under people's skin....

It sounds like he had the authority to over rule you. It seems unlikely that arguing would have done anything positive.

She will remember your kindness.

It reminds me of a saying that still makes me a bit uncomfortable. "No good deed goes unpunished". You genuinely helped her to the best of your ability. The experience you had with the supervisor can bother anyone in their mind so try and remember that you have done everything you could to just make them be as close to each other during his last moments.

From now on, at the end of the day. Think about how you would never do such a thing, and how he will always be a *******, and you will always be around to offer help instead of being all 'business'. You have heart.

Don't hate yourself for this. I could confess at least one moment of cowardice that was worse. You're a shy person and you weren't prepared to stand up against your boss in that moment.

You did a lot for that woman. You were there to comfort her when no one else was.

I'm glad there are people like you out there.

I don't think you should punish yourself for it.
But if you think that the change will have a more positive affect on the happiness of your life, I encourage you to do so.

I myself would have probably done the same. But I also have a cold heart and would not have been as kind as you to stay with the lady. You should be proud that you helped ease the ladies fears.

Latest posts

Back