You Are What You Eat!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I want thai but I can't be arsed banging away(lol) on the mortar & pestle for an hour so I'm having cheat Penang!

I have some red thai curry paste all ready made up in the fridge, so all I'm going to do is pad(fry) it in a little coconut oil & coconut milk in the wok, add some diced chicken, coat the chicken, add the rest of the coconut milk, sliced red peppers, simmer til the chicken is cooked through. Add 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter & serve with rice.

Totally quick & easy.

Might even have me a nice glass of wine along with.

Alma lost her spoon said:
Tonight I want thai but I can't be arsed banging away(lol) on the mortar & pestle for an hour so I'm having cheat Penang!

I have some red thai curry paste all ready made up in the fridge, so all I'm going to do is pad(fry) it in a little coconut oil & coconut milk in the wok, add some diced chicken, coat the chicken, add the rest of the coconut milk, sliced red peppers, simmer til the chicken is cooked through. Add 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter & serve with rice.

Totally quick & easy.

Might even have me a nice glass of wine along with.

I've just eaten and that still sounds good. I'm feeling hungry again and I've not even finished my after dinner tea!

Y'know Cavester-I could make extra next time & send you some down on the bus! haha

Alternatively you are welcome to come visit sometime & I will cook you nice thai food.

For my lunch I just raided the fridge & used up what was needing finsihing, I ended up with a rather enjoyable red onion & button mushroom omlette, with grilled haloumi & black pudding.

Alma lost her spoon said:
Y'know Cavester-I could make extra next time & send you some down on the bus! haha

Alternatively you are welcome to come visit sometime & I will cook you nice thai food.

For my lunch I just raided the fridge & used up what was needing finsihing, I ended up with a rather enjoyable red onion & button mushroom omlette, with grilled haloumi & black pudding.

Haha. If the buses up there are like the buses down here, there would be a public health scare attached to it by the time it arrived... that's if it didn't get blown up as a terrorist threat.

It did sound genuinely mouth-watering though!

Offer stands Cavey!

This evening I'm cooking a thai dinner for friends, starter of Tom Yum Chicken Soup(recipe posted earlier in thread) & chicken penang curry for the main, here's the way I made the penang curry paste last night(properly-non cheat).

Red Paste

Ingredients

Dried red chilies (I used a combination of 1 Ancho & 7 red Thai Chilies)

Galangal sliced thinly then chopped 1/4 cup

Lemongrass sliced thinly then chopped 1/2 – 3/4 cup

Garlic sliced 1/3 – 1/2 cup

Shallot sliced thinly 1/2 – 3/4 cup

Kaffir lime zest grated 1-2 teaspoon(I mixed lime zest with kaffir lime leaf)

Coriander (Cilantro) root chopped 1 tablespoon

Shrimp paste wrapped in foil or banana leaf and roasted 1 tablespoon

Salt 1 tablespoon

Method

De-seed chillies & soak in cold water for 10 mins

Bash the ingredients to a mush in a mortar & pestle-you can use a food processor but the flavours wont be as intense & it wont feel half as satisfying as pounding it out.

I find it best to mush up the chillies first then remove them, then do the lemongrass, galangal, then work down the list & add the chillies back in at the end(believe me you don't want splashed in the eye with chilli mush!)

I split the red curry paste in two, I'm using one half as a base for the Penang. The other half I lightly cooked in coconut oil & have put in a sterlised jar in the fridge once cooled to use next week.

To make the Penang

Dry roast the following

White Peppercorns half teaspoon

Cumin seeds half teaspoon

Coriander seeds 1 teaspoon

Grind to a fine powder in mortar & pestle-set aside

Dry roast 2 tablespoons of peanuts & mush them up in the mortar & pestle(mush them up but don't go too far).

Add the ground spices & the red paste back to the nuts in the mortar & pestle & mix together.

That's the Penang paste done & ready to cook the curry.

I'm using chicken breast chunks(I would use a slightly different method if I was cooking chicken pieces or seafood).

I pad the paste by heating half the coconut milk in the wok til it breaks, add the paste & cook for a few mins, add the chicken, stirfry a few mins, add the rest of the coconut milk, season with fish sauce & plam sugar to taste. Add sliced red pepper & simmer til chicken is cooked.

I'm serving this with noodles but it works great with rice(actually I prefer it with rice-green curry with noodles but I'm making this for friends & they want noodles).

Garnish with chiffonaded kaffir lime leaves and julienned red chilis.

It's that time of year, had the halogen oven out for a wee spin, quarter of chicken, sweet potato & my first sprouts of the season-all roasted in half an hour. I fekin LOVE my halogen oven!

Tom yum soup-Veggie version(by special request)

First you're gonna need some Nam Prik Pao(chilli jam)

Tom Yum Soup

Ingredients
(quantities here usually make enough for me to have 2 or 3 largish bowls of lovely soup)

6 cups veg stock
4 stalks lemongrass
galangal root(sliced)
kaffir lime leaves
salt or soy sauce
palm sugar
3 birds eye chillies
tofu or quorn pieces
1 pk closed cup mushrooms
string(natural fibres)
juice of 2 limes
fresh coriander
spring onions(sliced)

Whack the stalks of lemongrass along their lengths with a pestle(or something else blunt/heavy)
Make a bouquet garni by layering 2 stalks lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, 2 stalks lemongrass
1621690_852643371428052_1600933463_n.jpg

In a large pot bring the stock to a rolling boil & drop the bouqet garni in & let it do it's thang for a good 10 mins with the lid on.

Add salt or soy sauce to taste & half teasoon of palm sugar

Taste-adjust for sweet salt as you see fit

Add quorn/tofu, keep on a low rolling boil, after 3 mins put in the mushrooms-whack the chillies along their lengths(as with the lemongrass) & throw them in too, give it another 3 mins on low rolling boil

Once quorn/tofu is cooked but still nice & tender-take off heat, add lime juice & 2-4 teaspoons of Nam Prik Pao-stir.

Serve with garnish of spring onions & fresh torn coriander

1618542_852644491427940_831272344_n.jpg

1982332_852645648094491_637324419_n.jpg

Enjoy!
[/quote]

Are you a veggie kamya?

What about quorn?

I like the soup best made with chicken(or shrimp) but someone asked me very nicely to post a veggie version.

For anyone suffering from the cold/flu this winter(as I am right now gah!) here's my recipe for a really good hot toddy.

You will need

boiled water
honey
cinnamon stick
cloves
ginger
lemon
whiskey(you can use brandy if you prefer-but why wouldn't you use whiskey? *scratches head)

Method~

Boil kettle:)
Pour hot water into a cup to warm it, then pour the hot water into the glass you'll be drinking from.

Levae the hot water in the glass to warm it while you make the infusion in the cup...
Pour a small amount of water in the cup, add lemon zest, slice of lemon, 5 cloves, slice of ginger, inch length cinnamon stick & a teaspoon of honey, allow to infuse but not cool down.

Pour the hot water out of the glass, add a good shot of whiskey to the warmed glass, then strain the infusion into the glass.

Drink whilst hot.

For the immune system, I am now using olive leaf extract, Oregon grape root, turmeric curcumin, DEODORIZED garlic, cinnamon, green tea, cocoa, elderberry sambacus, echinacea...

Oh yes...all mixed with water (the tea leaves too) and chugged down. :D

Of course, Vitamin C, D, Cal-Mag-Zinc, and Co-Q 10

Latest posts

Back