WHAT'S COOKING?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGH1288

Reaction score
Hello ALL! -- Here are a couple of my favorite recipes. BON APPETIT! LG:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"NORTH AFRICAN MEATBALLS"
Servings: Makes 12 meatballs
Ingredients:
01. 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
02. 3/4 cup minced onion
03. 1 tablespoon minced garlic
04. 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
05. 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
06. 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
07. 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
08. 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
09. 1 pound ground beef
10. 3 tablespoons minced flat parsley
11. 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
12. 2 tablespoons minced mint
13. 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
14. 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
15. 1 tsp harissa or red chile paste
16. 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
17. Vegetable oil for sautéing
Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cumin, cardamom, coriander, turmeric and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape the vegetable-spice mixture into a medium bowl and let cool.
2. Add the ground beef to the bowl, along with the parsley, cilantro, mint, egg whites, salt, harissa and pepper and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Divide the meat mixture into 12 equal portions, roll into balls and set on a large plate.
3. Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the meatballs and sauté over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels, then serve.
Serve with couscous, chickpeas and grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's one of my original recipes:
"MEXICAN LASAGNA"
A tasty twist on an old favorite!
Ingredients:
1. 18-24 6" soft corn tortillas
2. 48 oz. sweet mango/peach salsa
3. 2 lbs. ground beef (sirloin)
4. 2 packets taco seasoning
5. 16-24 oz. Mexican cheese blend
Directions:
1. Brown the ground beef and drain well.
2. Mix taco seasoning into the beef but DO NOT add any water. Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Cover the bottom of a deep baking dish or aluminum pan with a some of the sweet salsa.
4. Arrange 6-8 of the tortillas in a layer over the salsa (it's OK that tortillas will overlap each other).
5. Pour more of the salsa over the tortillas to cover them completely.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 of the seasoned beef mixture over the salsa.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese blend over the beef.
8. Layer another 6-8 tortillas to cover the cheese.
9. Repeat steps 5 through 8.
10. Cover the tortillas with salsa.
11. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Sprinkle more cheese on top if desired. Serve hot (also tastes good at room temperature).
Note: For a spicy kick add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the beef mixture. Some cilantro's nice too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i would like to try the mexican lasagna. i would but post stuff but yea... i dont cook... like ever, lol.

World's Best Peanut Butter Cookies
Ingredients (Yields 48 2" cookies):
1/2 cup butter (or shortening)
1/2 cup brown sugar (pack firm)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Method:
1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.) Beat butter until softened
3.) Blend in brown/white sugars
4.) Add the egg/PB/salt/vanilla
5.) Gradually blend in the flour
6.) Roll into 48 small balls
7.) Press flat with fork tines
8.) Bake* about 10-12 minutes
9.) Cool until crisp.
*On greased cookie sheet. I suggest using parchment paper (less grease).
These cookies are rich and crumbly. They'll melt the heart of any Cookie Monster. They're also excellent ammo to throw at Stephanie. Enjoy! LG:)

I think I love you already, LG. :p

Here's an old favorite:

Meatball Stew

20 oz of Italian meatballs
1 carton (32 oz) of beef broth
1 can, 15 oz, of tomato sauce
¼ to ½ cup of onion, depending on preference
¾ cup sliced carrots
½ cup of celery
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Any other seasons you want to put in it

Put everything but potatoes in a crock pot, turn it on high and cook for 4 hours. Put crock pot on low and add potatoes. Cook for another hour. Add a little cornstarch slurry if it needs thickening. A 4-quart crock pot should be big enough for this recipe. A 3-quart would be too small.

Hey Stephanie -- MmmMmm good! LOL funny girl! I'm psyched it's a crock pot recipe. I'm definitely gonna try it. I'll use the Costco/Kirkland brand meatballs (always in my freezer). Going out...TTYL, LG:)

Those meatballs sound incredible.

I wish I could cook right now. I'm at work and stuck with just a microwave...

Yeah, the aroma of the spices is like OLAFactory heaven. LOL! Do ya like my "OLAF/Norway" joke?

ed-tom-bell.jpg

Brian said:
Yeah, the aroma of the spices is like OLAFactory heaven. LOL! Do ya like my "OLAF/Norway" joke? LG:)

ed-tom-bell.jpg

Uh oh! If looks could kill! Bad joke, sorry my sense of humor is weird to say the least. OK, you can smack me then call for an EMT...oops...that's YOU! So, I'm doomed if I do and doomed if I don't! Quick, call BJD for a shotgun wedding. I concede, I'll give up my 1701-D blueprints! LG:)

IMG_0022.jpg

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter

Directions:

1. In a small bowl blend flour, cocoa and baking soda. Mix until well blended.
2. In a large bowl beat sugar, butter or margarine and 1/4 cup peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, beat. Stir in flour mixture until blended. Set aside.
3. To make Filling: Combine confectioners sugar and 3/4 cup peanut butter. Blend well.
4. Roll filling into 30 - 1 inch balls. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 Tablespoon of dough around 1 peanut butter ball, covering completely. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with glass dipped in sugar.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 7-9 minutes. When cookies are done they should be set and slightly cracked.

Hi Christina Sarah ~ These look like they'll be taking the prize for the "Best PB Cookies In The Galaxy"! Oh yeah, I'll be bakin' those babies! LG:)

Hello! This is a dense, rich dessert cake that will delight. Enjoy! LG:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ORANGE MARMALADE CAKE
Ingredients (12 Servings):
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, milk and lemon juice.
5. Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture, mix until well blended.
6. Finally, stir in the marmalade (and walnuts).
7. Pour batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
8. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
9. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional Info Per Serving:
Calories: 211 | Total Fat: 10.1g | Cholesterol: 69mg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

heeeeeey good lookin' whaaaaat ya got cookin'?:D

i have the flu so i think i'm just going to have a can of sweet potatoes. i've been feeling very ill for over a week, so i looked up some information and found that i supposedly should be eating mostly high alkaline foods, and i guess sweet potatoes are high alkaline. so i'm going to try that and see if it helps.

i guess pineapples and apples are too. and i think i have some, so i might mash that all together and have a pineapple apple slush.

csmswhs said:
heeeeeey good lookin' whaaaaat ya got cookin'?:D

i have the flu so i think i'm just going to have a can of sweet potatoes. i've been feeling very ill for over a week, so i looked up some information and found that i supposedly should be eating mostly high alkaline foods, and i guess sweet potatoes are high alkaline. so i'm going to try that and see if it helps.

i guess pineapples and apples are too. and i think i have some, so i might mash that all together and have a pineapple apple slush.

Feel better & get well soon. Your slushie sounds yummy & healthy!

thanks LG:) i ate the slush and had spaghetti (raw spaghetti sauce usually makes me feel better too) and lemon water.

and i felt 80% better. i found out that lemons are high alkaline too, even tho we usually think their acid. i guess, according to what i found, they are acidic on the outside, but once they are in your body it turns to something called 'ash' and becomes very alkaline.

so i've been drinking alot of lemon water too, and it also has helped me feel better, and i could at least function.

i'm just saying this, i guess, because alot of people probably have the flu right now, and its actually helping me so i thought if anyone reading this has the flu or gets it might want to try high alkaline stuff because it might help. hopefully.

anyway, i can't wait until its fully gone, when i do feel 100% again for more than a day i really want to try some of the recipes in this thread. the mexican lasagna sounds sooo good.

i actually found this jar of pineapple peach salsa i've had for awhile, because i wanted to try it, but haven't yet. now i can use it for that recipe you posted:D its pineapple instead of mango, but i think it should still be ok.

thanks again:D hope you are well too:D

csmswhs--- Good to see you're feeling better. I agree this thread is the BEST! I love pineapple and eat it frequently but I never would have guessed about the lemon becoming alkaline once it's inside. I lean new stuff all the time! I hope all those with flu, feel better soon.

Latest posts

Back