You Are What You Eat!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This stuff certainly looks better than the fries with ketchup I'm about to eat :p

Easy, scrummy, healthy tea tonight...

Haloumi, mushroom, tomato & chicken kebabs

Chop Haloumi & chicken into inch dice pieces, marinade along with toms & button mushrooms in minced garlic, minced chilli, soy sauce & honey, skewer & grill.

Done!

Found this recipe today-must try!

kfj68f7

Roasted cauliflower? A whole head of cauliflower? This recipe has you slathering cauliflower in a spicy yogurt marinade and roasting it at a high temperature. The result is an amazingly delicious dish that’s as dramatic in presentation as it is easy in preparation. Serve it with a big green salad (we suggest lime juice and olive oil for the dressing) for an easy weeknight supper.

Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 head cauliflower
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons chile powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.

2. Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.

4. Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. (Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)

5. Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.

6. Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a big green salad.

I don't know how you do it. I TRY to eat healthily and I largely succeed, but I'd rather be eating bacon sandwiches, processed meats, Haagen Dazs, Peanut Butter Cups, Diet Coke, full fat cheese, doner kebabs... you get the picture.

I do enjoy eating very healthy stir fries and I love a good salad with a chicken breast or salmon fillet, but I find it very difficult to resist everything else. I hate how the supermarkets insist on giving the chemical/fat-filled crap pride of place and that they're always heavily discounted - then you find the healthy options hidden away in a corner and costing 3 times as much. My willpower often gives out and I find myself sat on the couch with 5 giant chocolate chip cookies and a six pack of Diet Coke. Sigh.

I guess I'm just plain lucky Cavey, if you put two tables of food out in front of me, one with cakes, crisps, sweets, chips & all the processed crap on & the other filled with fresh fuit, veg, chicken & fish-99% of the time I'm gonna want to eat from the healthy table.

I've been like this pretty much my entire life, for the period of my life whilst I was struggling to cope due to losing my dad I was completely disinterested in food, & ate whatever I ate, I was, sadly, more interested in what drugs & alcohol I could poison my system & attempt to muddy my mind with.

Thankfully I left that behind some time ago & my love of good, healthy food returned.

I enjoy the occassional bit of chocolate, or packet of crisps or whathaveyou, my biggest difficulty is cheese, oh how I LOVE cheese('cheese season' will be here soon YAY! haha).

I know what you mean about supermarkets etc-the worst thing that really 'biles mah pish' is trying to find diluting juice that doesn't have either aspartame or added sugar-that's my own personal peeve that one!

Well, my ear infection has become a chest infection and I'm feeling like death - no lifting for me, no working out, just a lot of shaking. That's my excuse for the giant bag of chemical-filled madelines that I am munching my way through.

You are what you eat? Spongy in the middle? Check.

Tonight's tea is all prepped now, I haven't decided whether to have cous cous or quinoa as it works with either....

couscous/quinoa salad

avocado
lime juice(quarter of a lime is enough usually)
spring onions
celery
cherry toms
red pepper
chicken(pre cooked)
feta cheese

Chop avocado, squirt with lime juice, chop all the other ingredients & throw in a bowl.

Make up either couscous or quinoa with a little stock, I usually throw in a little chilli & garlic too.

Combine in the bowl...I like to add some fresh torn coriander too...

..will keep overnight in the fridge & is fab as a take to work salad.

Goes well with kimchi also.

I had seared tuna yet again last night with stir fry noodles n veg-there was some of the stir fry left over which I'm having for lunch now as a nice cold noodle salad & I have added smoked salmon ribbons-it's very tasty!

i was trying to post a recipe w/a pic and for the life of me i do not know what i am doing incorrectly...i've resized it but every time i preview the post the pic is not there...only the attached file...help :(

If that saying is true, I'm so much in trouble... I've always had this thought in my head, "If somebody didn't have to kill it at one point, I don't want it on my plate...!!!"

DVEEUS said:
i was trying to post a recipe w/a pic and for the life of me i do not know what i am doing incorrectly...i've resized it but every time i preview the post the pic is not there...only the attached file...help :(

Have you tried tinyurling the link? Would that help?
Sorry I'm not the greatest at techie stuff.

Tonight I made Chicken Massaman from scratch.

First I made the paste~

Massaman Curry Paste Ingredients: (This yields about 1 – 1-1/4 cups of finished curry paste)
Shallots, sliced 2/3 cup
Garlic, sliced 1/2 cup
Red California Chili, soaked, de-seeded, and cut into small pieces 1 cup
Lemongrass, sliced 1/3 cup (If you can use only the purple part, use only 1/4 cup. I used my backyard lemongrass and I didn’t have enough, so I added the green part to it and used a little more)
Galangal 2 tablespoons
Cilantro root (Coriander root) 1 1/2 tablespoon
Shrimp paste 1 1/2 tablespoons
Salt 1 teaspoon

Spices
Coriander seeds 3 tablespoons
Cumin seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons
White peppercorn 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg (ground) 1-1/2 teaspoons
Mace 1-1/2 pieces
White cardamom (whole) 7 pieces
Cinnamon (ground) 1-1/2 teaspoons or 1 inch long stick

Method:
1) Roast all the spices with medium-low heat until they are fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.

2) Grind all of the roasted spices and herbs together in mortar & pestle(you could use a blender/grinder, I prefer to bruise the flavours out the ole fangled way). Grind the the dry roasted spices first then the herbs & mix together.

Then make the curry using the paste:

Ingredients:

Chicken, diced
red pepper, sliced
polenta
fish sauce
palm sugar
nam prik pao
coconut milk 400ml

3) Heat 200ml coconut milk in a wok-cook 2 tablespoons of the curry paste in the hot cocnut milk, add the chicken, stir fry til the chicken is coated, add another 200ml coconut milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter & simmer for 6 mins.

4) While massaman is simmering fry some chopped polenta pieces.

5) Add red sliced red pepper to massaman. & the fried polenta pieces

6) Add a teaspoon of fish sauce, half teaspoon of palm sugar & two teaspoons of nam prik pao

Enjoy!

DVEEUS said:

Have you tried the image link with
on the butt end?

Alma lost her spoon said:
I guess I'm just plain lucky Cavey, if you put two tables of food out in front of me, one with cakes, crisps, sweets, chips & all the processed crap on & the other filled with fresh fuit, veg, chicken & fish-99% of the time I'm gonna want to eat from the healthy table.

I'm like that, too. I don't particularly care for sweets at all, despite me looking like one big puffy marshmallow. I'm much more into savory foods, and I do love veggies and fruit. Not a fan of fish, but I don't mind flounder.

But this is what I've made myself for my dinner. Garden rotini pasta with freshly sliced, deliciously crunchy red bell pepper, chicken bits (admittedly, from a can, canned in water, but I'd certainly do fresh chicken breast if I had any), and cheese for the sauce bit. Sauce includes some block cheddar, a spoonful of queso cheese, and a splash of evaporated milk.

100_0862_zps008f21a2.jpg

And some rice pudding I made a couple of days ago. Creamy goodness.

100_0856_zps3bcc69dc.jpg

Garlic Ginger Salmon
Salmon Filets (allow 6 ounces per person)
lemon wedges (optional)

Marinade:
1 cup Sake
1/2 cup natural soy sauce or tamari
1 Tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
2 Cloves fresh garlic, mashed
1 Tablespoon dark-brown sugar

1. Prepare the marinade by mixing the sake (Japanese rice wine), the natural soy sauce, the ginger, the garlic, and the dark-brown sugar.

2. Rinse the salmon fillets under cold water, place in a glass or ceramic dish, and pour the marinade over. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours, spooning the liquid over any exposed parts of the fish once or twice.

3. Prepare the grill or preheat the broiler to high heat.

4. Drain the fish and place on foil on grill or rack in oven. Cook until desired doneness, but do not overcook. Serve with lemon wedges if you like.

mini quiches with eggs, french cheese, mushrooms, scallions and fresh oregano, and fresh spinach with large capers and mustard on the side.

It's all that popcorn that screwed it up…

Latest posts

Back