You Know you're Lonely When..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesse said:
When you fall in love with someone who smiles at you.

Sometimes those smiles can put in mind the word INTEREST with a QUESTION MARK behind it. Unless you grow the balls (or tits) to approach that person to see what's up, finding the answer to that question becomes more unlikely than finding out the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

1.) ....when you try to help someone find the person they were trying to reach when they dialed the wrong number.

2.) ...when a cute girl waves at you with a big smile, and you get all excited, but it's for the person behind you.

3.) ...when you get jealous of overly-happy couples on Valentines/Christmas Day.

4.) ...when you snuggle with your pillow at night and imagine that it's someone who loves you very much...

5.) ...when your only experience with romance is in movies, dating sims, videogames, and books.

When you spend your late afternoon by the quay side of your town on a sunny day where the people usually gather in groups of 4 or 5 at least laying on the lawn, playing the guitarre and drinking wine, laughing and stuff.. and you are staring at those very people who you wish they are going to call you 'hey you! come on and join us don't stay alone! What a lovely day! Have some of that joint and some of that cheap wine and sing with us!' and somebody you know bumps into you and asks you what you are doing here on your own with your bottle of wine and you say that you are waiting for some friends that must be arriving in a minute, the guy gets back to his group of friends, don't even think of inviting you a little while and wishes you a good evening, but the truth is that nobody will ever come because nobody ever planned to come and see you in the first place, you just went out on your own.
After 40 or 50 minutes of mutual staring with the people around, you take your mobile out of your pocket and launch the latest video game you downloaded on your samsung wave ii, which cost you 1.50$ and replaces the company of a good friend who doesn't exist. You play till dusk, then till midnight. You smoke one or two joints, finish off your bottle, complete every last mission of the game. You run out of batterie. Then it's late. Then you try to get back up as well as you can, your ass aches by the long sitting hours on the grass. You stagger towards the car, start the engine and try not to get arrested by the police. While in the car you turn on the radio which plays 'lucky I'm in love with my best friend' and oh fresia it, you turn it off, light up a cigarette and say to yourself 'what a lonely day.. that day was pretty **** lonely.. Good God help me' lol. Hey it reminds me of yesterday evening!

you have no desire to do anything except search online for people that have the same problems that you have...but then when you find them, does that mean that you're really alone?????=LOL...I don't know...I never make sense.

..........all you look forward to during the day, which is spent caring for your 84 year old mother who has dementia, is going to sleep at night because that's the only time you don't feel completely alone.........................................

No family.
No friends.

i do know very well coz it hurts ...even by looking at a flower knowing that it has sun's or rain's company ...and there no one there when you are using two glasses to drink your wine.... :my:

Lonesome Crow said:
when it's 3 in the freaken AM and you're typing on this thread :(

Oh it's funny cos it's true! :D

When you go into a crowded bar and the guy in front of you get's served first.(fair enough,he was here first) Then the fella on your right gets served.(well she had to pick someone)The one on your left gets next.(em, hello I'm here,yes the one about 6'2" with a twenty in his hand!) Then she serves the guy behind you.It's about that time you kick you self in the shin to make sure you're not just a figment of you own imagination!
:(

Ghost Boy said:
When the girl that you really liked is making out with another guy(or girl) in front of you.

When everybody at work is talking about the woman you like getting shagged by the boss.

stevebar said:
..........all you look forward to during the day, which is spent caring for your 84 year old mother who has dementia, is going to sleep at night because that's the only time you don't feel completely alone.........................................

No family.
No friends.

I feel like I'm headed in that direction. I've been sole financial support for my mom for like the last 5 years of my young adulthood (Ill be 30 soon).
I have rent, I have groceries, I have student loans, I have gas, I have electric, I have water, I have cable internet, cable tv, phone, netflix... these bills and other expenses. I get zero help with these. She does not work. She does not work to get work. She is not disabled. She is 1000 times smarter than me. She has a degree, and I don't. She is in her fifties. She has a daughter (aka my sister, who I love) who has her own place and seems capable of getting a boyfriend anytime she's ready for one. But she doesn't seem to have NEARLY the sense of obligation of taking care of mom that I have.

I know the employment situation is not kind to people as they age when they are at the mercy of others, but surely she can find something and get on her own feet. I am absolutely sick of it, even though I feel wrong for feeling this way considering she raised us on her own. And it isn't getting better. Unless I (or my younger sister) find a way to start making some SERIOUS money, my future looks dark as hell. I will be taking care of her, and I'm STILL concerned about being able to take care of myself because I've been working a rinky dinky job for years!

I get a ton of phone calls (and messages) that aren't for me. I'm worried about something that is silly yet real - that she'll answer the phone when certain people call for me, and then I'll have to explain to them the situation and that she's not my girlfriend or something like that. Company is like out of the question! There's TOO much motherly **** going on (what's on your mind", "is everything alright", "what's wrong?" type questions) and I have to fight to keep from responding beastly. The displays of depression WINNING I've been seeing all my life, and I am tired of it.

This rant comes over me often. Often, the grateful side of me, who knows he'll stick by his mom regardless and is happy to be able to be there for her when seemingly no one else would, comes over me as well.

TheFrenchy said:
When you spend your late afternoon by the quay side of your town on a sunny day where the people usually gather in groups of 4 or 5 at least laying on the lawn, playing the guitarre and drinking wine, laughing and stuff.. and you are staring at those very people who you wish they are going to call you 'hey you! come on and join us don't stay alone! What a lovely day! Have some of that joint and some of that cheap wine and sing with us!' and somebody you know bumps into you and asks you what you are doing here on your own with your bottle of wine and you say that you are waiting for some friends that must be arriving in a minute, the guy gets back to his group of friends, don't even think of inviting you a little while and wishes you a good evening, but the truth is that nobody will ever come because nobody ever planned to come and see you in the first place, you just went out on your own.
After 40 or 50 minutes of mutual staring with the people around, you take your mobile out of your pocket and launch the latest video game you downloaded on your samsung wave ii, which cost you 1.50$ and replaces the company of a good friend who doesn't exist. You play till dusk, then till midnight. You smoke one or two joints, finish off your bottle, complete every last mission of the game. You run out of batterie. Then it's late. Then you try to get back up as well as you can, your ass aches by the long sitting hours on the grass. You stagger towards the car, start the engine and try not to get arrested by the police. While in the car you turn on the radio which plays 'lucky I'm in love with my best friend' and oh fresia it, you turn it off, light up a cigarette and say to yourself 'what a lonely day.. that day was pretty **** lonely.. Good God help me' lol. Hey it reminds me of yesterday evening!
Hi Frenchy.
Look on the bright side,at least you've got a quay side to sit on to drink beer on a sunny day,and you're the age to get away with it.I'd be looked upon as some sad old geezer sat on a quay side with a beer in his hand thinking about throwing himself in! (think about it, you would too.)
John.

when you talk to yourself when nobodies home, and actually learn things from your conversation. =P I havn't done this yet, but ONCE when I was incredibly pissed, I actually did talk to myself for like the entire day, haha nobody was around though!

When you're still at school and your only social encounter of the week is with a counsellor.
When you start to feel physically unwell and develop stomach aches because you start thinking about how lonely you are.
When nobody ever calls or texts you.
When nobody ever seems to notice anything you do on facebook.
When a girl texts you to ask how you are, you reply and she hasn't replied since.
When the list of 'you know you're lonely when...' examples is far longer than you expected.
When you just want to love someone and be loved in return.

Winters said:
When you're still at school and your only social encounter of the week is with a counsellor.
When you start to feel physically unwell and develop stomach aches because you start thinking about how lonely you are.
When nobody ever calls or texts you.
When nobody ever seems to notice anything you do on facebook.
When a girl texts you to ask how you are, you reply and she hasn't replied since.
When the list of 'you know you're lonely when...' examples is far longer than you expected.
When you just want to love someone and be loved in return.

When you look on facebook about 100 times a day to see if anybody has 'liked' your status and or made a comment.

And if it's by a woman who you like you feel very happy !

You know you're lonely when...

Hang around with a new person for a while then stop talking to them for a few days so they dont get sick of ya,
Get a valantines day card-relise the writing looks like your mums,
You get excited about a call from a person you have just met-but all they want is the number for another person they think you may know,
Someone mistakes your for someone else but you dont correct them,
Get excited that you got a message that you are not expecting-realise its just a spam txt,
when the only social contact you have is with the person at on the check out at the shops,
In class the teacher asked you to get into pairs and you end up with teh teacher.

I can agree with a lot of this, and here's another.. you know when your lonely because instead of feeling unwell, your heart gets this sort of indescribable feeling in it, and it's one of the worst feelings ever.

Rolo said:
You know you're lonely when...

Hang around with a new person for a while then stop talking to them for a few days so they dont get sick of ya,
Get a valantines day card-relise the writing looks like your mums,
You get excited about a call from a person you have just met-but all they want is the number for another person they think you may know,
Someone mistakes your for someone else but you dont correct them,
Get excited that you got a message that you are not expecting-realise its just a spam txt,
when the only social contact you have is with the person at on the check out at the shops,
In class the teacher asked you to get into pairs and you end up with teh teacher.

I work on a check out and I can tell the really lonely people. I do my best to talk to them as much as I can. Often they come to my till on purpose for these chats.

When you never have anything planned for the weekends except sitting on that damned couch.

Latest posts

Back