Meetup.com - a success :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3donist

Reaction score
Oh god I'm so proud of myself :D

After my disasterous foray into Friend finding apps like Skout (trick you into thinking someone wants to be friends then charging the user to find out who) I used Meetup.com on a recommendation.

Meetup.com is simply a site that advertises social events based on your location. Luckily I live a few miles south of Birmingham in the UK so there were a lot of events available. They had everything, and I mean everything - from art and music, social events, cinema, gig goers to more...err..niche..events such as Esperanto Speakers! You simply join that group then RSVP whichever events take your fancy.

I found a group for people suffering from social anxiety and reading the profiles of the members I suddenly realised that's what I have - an overwhelming shyness that I manage to conceal well with my generally sunny disposition, yet there have many occasions where I've not gone to places because I've been afraid of the people there - even to the point of not buying something I needed in a shop because I was afraid to speak to the shop keeper! (35 year old man FFS!)

Anyway the event that was next on the calendar was going to the cinema to see the Minions Movie, with 10 people signed up to go, so I thought why not!

I've never been so scared though, I didn't know any of the people, or indeed what they looked like (they had profile photos but often people look a lot different in real life) I was scared I'd approach the wrong group of people, imagining the howls of laughter when I asked if they were the social anxiety group! But I pressed on towards the cinema with my heart in my mouth (not literally!)

Suddenly I heard a timid female voice behind me..."excuse me...are you from the social anxiety group?". Another member had recognised me from my profile photo! (my blue hair really must stand out) so instantly all the worries of approaching the wrong group evaporated. We were about an hour early so we went to a bar and got to know each other and had a great time! We then went back to the cinema and slowly but surely everyone started to arrive, and I realised I had nothing to fear from any of them they were all lovely people, just as nervous as me.

The film was fantastic and then we went for drinks back at the bar I had been to earlier with the girl, and we all had a good chat. Finally it was time to get my train back but I grinned all the way home, knowing I had stepped outside my comfort zone and really reached out, finally making some new friends that I hope to get to know more as time goes on.

I'm now signed up to more events with the social anxiety group, as well as meeting the main Birmingham Social group who do all sorts of things from Badminton to 007 Themed Nights which I'm really looking forward to.

So for all the lonely folk out there I rate and recommend meetup.com as it's a free, no scam way of meeting new people. I hope it helps somebody :) :)

(Obviously my experiences are from UK based but I'm fairly sure it's a global site)

It's fantastic to hear something positive on these forums for once. You even motivated me to have a look at meetup.com. There's not a lot going on around me to be honest, but hey, I looked ;)

Good that it went well ;-)
Im going soon to a first time meetup.com thing :) I wonder what it will be like, it's not really about social anxiety but more about changing things in lifestyle
and i do want to go out more and do things cause i suffer of anxiety too. I order most of things online so i dont have to go to shop or so. It gets worse the longer you dont go to places out of your comfort zone it seems

I'm really happy for this guy, honestly. But I'm upset that I can't have that same kind of luck.

BeyondShy said:
I'm really happy for this guy, honestly. But I'm upset that I can't have that same kind of luck.

He made the effort. Why don't you look for something similar where you live ?

:D I'm truly happy for you, because not just am I glad that you found a way that will help you to reach out to and become more social, but it something that's definitely helped me too. It certainly is a global site. There's hundreds to choose from in the city nearest me. In the one I used to live in I joined groups for language, writing, bibliophiles, women's groups, hiking/camping/general adventuring, movies and social anxiety/mental health support groups. Everyone I've met through that site is genuinely lovely and really very nice, and are actually there to try and make and stay friends. It's a wonderful thing in this day and age, when we're all so connected but so distant, or in any age really since it's always been difficult to find friends as adults. I'm just surprised no one came up with it earlier.

it didn't work a lot for me, but I did make a ton of acquaintances and maybe two who eventually became almost friends - then, I must say there wasn't such diversity of meetups where I used to live, and nothing even close to a social anxiety group, I am a bit jealous of that :)

Triple Bogey said:
He made the effort. Why don't you look for something similar where you live ?

I don't know if they have an idiot meet-up group but I can always check.

Glad Meetup worked, I always recommend it, I think it can be hit and miss but I much prefer it to nonsense like FB etc, which seems to turn real life interactions into permanently online ones - Meetup has some social networking aspects but it's very much about, as the name suggests, meeting up! I think there are fees to start a new group, but if there is not a relevant group in your own area you could always look into making your own, maybe there are people just waiting for someone to take the initative!

Thank you all :)

Yes I know I am very fortunate to live within a short distance to a large city and so there are always going to be more events available to me than someone who lives in more remote locations, but it is easy to host an event yourself if you wish. And everyone using meetup.com is there for the same reason so everyone makes an extra effort to be nice as they just want to meet new people too.

BeyondShy said:

Sorry you feel that way :(

But sometimes you have to make your own luck - I knew nobody was going to knock on my door and ask to be my friend so I knew it was up to me to end my lonely spell.

I joined a writer's group last month which is wonderful and has inspired me to write my third book after all but giving up on my dream of becoming a full time author. Then I found meetup and forced myself out to the group on Sunday. Maybe there was a bit of luck involved in terms of the people I met being nice, but frankly it was all down to me.

blazemaster26 said:
Good that it went well ;-)
Im going soon to a first time meetup.com thing :) I wonder what it will be like, it's not really about social anxiety but more about changing things in lifestyle
and i do want to go out more and do things cause i suffer of anxiety too. I order most of things online so i dont have to go to shop or so. It gets worse the longer you dont go to places out of your comfort zone it seems

Good luck with your meetup - I'm sure you're going to have a great time. Let us know how you get on :)

I've heard many stories like this after recommending meetup to people. And I gladly continue to recommend it as one option for meeting new people.

Congratulations! :)

- Paul

Oh and just to add, I had a successful Meetup last night too, I hope it may be the start of something more. I think Meetup enthusiasts need to post positive stories like this to help others see the value, though of course sometimes people may feel a bit left out if their Meetup hasn't worked as well or they can't find one.

I think the key is, it can work, but you have to make an effort, I've had some really bad ones but also some really good ones and all in all, I think it's Fab!

I finally found a reading group in my area. It's barely a month old, so i don't see too much movement.

I had another successful meetup again this weekend - coffee and conversation at Birmingham Library. Great fun :)

I've made a friend who we chat to via Facebook now and the rest are nice too so it does work.

Plus anyone who thinks there's nothing in their area - be the person to make one! Host an event and I bet loads of people you didn't even know existed in your area will come. You have nothing to lose so why not? If it is a cure for your loneliness then you owe it to yourself to try. If you are shy - then make the group specifically for shy people and it will encourage others who are anxious to come forward.

I'm going to host an event for my social anxiety group soon - thinking Roller Disco :D

Great h3donist!

I've just booked a little theatre meetup for next weekend and found a Post Apocalyptic book club, spoiled for choice.

I don't think I'll be doing any Roller Discos though lol! :D

Latest posts

Back