1 step forward, 2 steps back

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoBilli

Reaction score
So I lost my job about a month ago and I applied for unemployment until I could figure something out. My previous employer disputed my claim and so I sat in limbo for a few weeks waiting for the bureaucracy to make a determination.

Well, in Michigan you have to go through an agency to stay on unemployment. The agency provides employment services, and so working with them is a natural way to find a new job. It's a no brainer, I started things going with them. I got a call from a career counselor the other day and I went in yesterday for the orientation with that counselor. However, before I could get into a one-on-one appointment with the counselor, I had to be able to prove I was on unemployment. Meaning the dispute needed to be resolved and I needed to start getting checks. Okay, back to waiting on the bureaucracy. This did however give me a positive outlook, and I could look forward to future possibilities.

Got a letter today from the unemployment office saying my claim was denied. So I can't get started with the counselor I already talked to and I'm going to be living on savings until I find something. There are other counselors at the agency who don't require that I be on unemployment, they just have longer waiting lists. So back to more waiting. One of these days I'll wake up to a bright sun shining day and everything will seem better, just not today.

Got a quick update. I talked to my union representative from my previous job today, and she told me that it's common for claims to be denied on the first go around. So I should appeal. She reassured me that people who've been caught stealing red handed have landed unemployment, so there's still hope.

I may not be getting free money just yet, but at least it's not as grim as I thought.

America is lame, they are really a dictatorship in a sense, but with due process, i was denied unemployment, i got owned, dont wait around for them, they will get back to you months from now.

Latest posts

Back