A Lonely Child

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaric

Reaction score
A long time ago, when I was very young, I visited with a child relative in a hospital in Newcastle, Australia. There were plenty of visitors, so I went and sat with a four year old child who never seemed to have anyone come to see him. He suffered chronic pneumonia. His chest rattled constantly, and he could fall into unconsciousness at any given moment. Yet, there he lay, constantly happy...

Nurses told me his parents had abandoned him there. He had no one. No one to love him or care that his tiny life was shrinking by the day. No one to hold his hand when he was afraid. No one to mourn him when he passed. He was alone in a giant world filled with probes, and tubes, nurses and strangers who deigned to stop by once in great while. His parents could not take the chronic nature of his illness, and they simply walked away.

When I came by, if he was awake and conscious, he would perk up and smile, but he would cry so when it was time for me to leave. It became such a burden to hear his wails that - in the end - I could leave him no longer. I had to stay. I had to wait.

Back then I didn't have an exciting job, and I had no ties, so being there made little difference to the compact lifestyle I led. It was just as easy to sit in a chair in a hospital as it was to sit in a chair at home, staring at a black and white TV.

The little boy was frail and lightweight. His translucent skin seemed too thin. At four he should have been robust and hyperactive, but he was just a little shell. His hair was coarse, and it had never been properly cut. It was mousy brown, thick, and unkempt, but it could have been better.

Every day I sat there, I wondered when time would end for him. I wondered why he should have to face the prospect of heaven or oblivion when he had never really led any kind of life at all. And I wondered what lesson was in his little existence for me. Every day I sat there and stared at him as he lay there asleep or unconscious, and I saw his life drain away too quickly.

I met him in the hottest part of the summer that year. He died as the leaves began to fall, in the windiest part of autumn. His last days were strange. He would lay there quietly, a tube omnipresent down his throat, and IV needles in his tired arms, and he would stare at me. I could feel the love in him transmitted through his round, brown eyes. I remembered, when I met him, that his eyes were dull, but that they had brightened to magnificent liquid pools at other times. Now they were dull all the time. Nurses would come by every hour at first, but near the end, a nurse sat opposite me twenty-four hours a day. Different nurses... Different ages... Different attitudes...

The child started to slide very slowly at just after 4 am one Saturday morning. The wind outside was howling, and golden leaves flew by in a storm of color backed by the rising of the sun as the day began to age. His breathing was hard, and he now had an oxygen mask affixed to his little face around the clock. He could no longer take food except through tubes. He would drift in and out of consciousness over and over again, and at times he would cry a little bit. He knew it nearly time to leave, and I knew he had found someone to love and a reason to stay.

The morning was ponderous, achingly slow. Nurses drifted back and forth and, twice, a resident wandered in to look in on him. I was young, and never knew to question why he was not in the ICU, or why it was no one seemed to really care. I only knew he was alone, and he needed someone to care and to love him. At just after nine am he was awake. He was coughing a lot. The life in his eyes was dim. He looked sad to me. Breathing was so hard for him. The nurse lifted his mask to clear away fluids that were leaking constantly from his mouth. The little boy held up his hand for me to hold, and I heard him say very quietly "my daddy..." I held his hand and never let it go. A doctor came in and looked at him, adjusted his fluids and left. They never asked me to leave. His little hand had always felt cool and dry, but it grew clammy, and it grew colder. His breathing grew heavier, more labored, and his life finally ebbed away at 1:17 pm that afternoon. His hand was still in mine.

His funeral was strange. The state paid for it, and the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul paid for a very beautiful little stone to mark his last crib. The people who should have been there for him in life found the spirit to be there in death. His daddy was there... His mummy was there... There, at the front, there was a grandmother who wept for him. I wondered why she could not have wept for him when he needed her most. I wondered why it was left to a stranger who simply could not leave.

Loneliness is a vast world unto itself. A four year old boy died without his family one day a long time ago. I know he wondered secretly, where were his parents? Where was his family? Why is this stranger hovering over me? Why can't I stay? It must have been the loneliest place on earth for him...

Reading that I cried, how can any parent abandone their child. I would never be able to do that, am a mother of three and lost a child myself. Those parents where soooo selfish. That child deserved to have loving parent hold him until his last breath it was the least they could have done for him.

Ah Alaric.

as always your words touch me.
i'll find the courage to say that i feel as if we could be kindred spirits, you and i.

someone once told me that families are not always people born under one same roof, to one genome pool, and i believe they were right. you were his true family, because you were there. you were real, for you were there when he needed you most.

i don't know why i want to say this. but... thank you so much for sharing this. it is sad, in a heavy, horrible way. noone should be alone like this. especially not a child. but knowing that there is someone out there, that would do this gives me courage, gives me hope. and the strength to keep trying.

i wish i knew you in real life.

thank you for coming back again. i missed your gentle words and your spirit.

Alaric -- Your story has brought me to tears. What was the child's name? He was blessed to have your love. How old were you when he died? Have you gone to visit his grave recently? If you go again would you be willing to post a picture of it as an attachment to this thread? I'd like to print out your original post and a picture of the child's grave headstone and hang it in my home to honor the boy and to reflect upon how humanity can be both equally cruel and beautiful. I'd understand if you'd prefer not to share a picture. Anway, what was it that brought the memory of your relative to mind today? Best, LG:)

LGH1288 said:
Alaric -- Your story has brought me to tears. What was the child's name? He was blessed to have your love. How old were you when he died? Have you gone to visit his grave recently? If you go again would you be willing to post a picture of it as an attachment to this thread? I'd like to print out your original post and a picture of the child's grave headstone and hang it in my home to honor the boy and to reflect upon how humanity can be both equally cruel and beautiful. I'd understand if you'd prefer not to share a picture. Anway, what was it that brought the memory of your relative to mind today? Best, LG:)

LGH, the little boy's name was Damien. I was nineteen years old. His grave is in Newcastle, New South Wales. It is north of Sydney. I live in the USA now, and that is a long way from Australia. When my brother goes that way again, I will ask him to look for the grave and take pictures for me. I never took pictures in life because the hospital would not allow it, and never in death because life was what he deserved. A tombstone would only remind me he could not have that luxury.

As to why I thought about it... I visited with some children in Mexico as I do once a month. They live in an orphanage there, and we take things down there as we can. One small child there reminded me of him, and I remembered his touch, remembered the gentleness and the tininess of his fingers. The memory stayed with me, and I found myself thinking about how things could have been different, wondered what he would be doing now if he had been allowed life. As a social worker I see all kinds of things, many of them tug hard at my heart strings, and many things make me shake my head and despair at the lack of humanity in too many people.

Children are always a treasure. Every day of a child's life deserves to be filled with joy, and adults need to protect them with great ferocity.

Hi Alaric -- I didn't know you were a social worker. It's a very admirable profession. I was once involved in visiting various orphanages to donate money, toys and musical instruments to the children but it was on a personal rather than professional basis. Anyhow, Damien will surely be alive in your heart forever. LG:)

Hi-
I read this story yesterday and decided to mull it over before posting. I still don't know what to say except bless you for bringing some joy into little Damien's life. I have a 4 year old and she's so innocent and sincere just like this boy. You've inspired me to keep reaching out to other people. Thank you.

Teresa

man, this made me cry. Death is sometimes hard to face, and a long terminal illness can be emotionally draining. I think it was good you sat by his side. He needed someone there.

Very sad. But one thing I know is that God will not let all your efforts go in vain, Alaric. God bless you.

This made me cry. Thanks for sharing it. I think you're truly a special person and Damien too.

Thank you all for your beautiful replies.

I have often wondered why it is compassion takes a huge center stage in movies, on television, and in those marvelously sweet novels that sell for eight bucks at Barnes & Noble, but not in the hearts of so many of us. We watch a sad movie, and we cry... We watch a comedy and we laugh... We watch Jason killing yet another victim, and we recoil in horror... But what do most of us actually do about all those emotions and feelings?

Back in the days when too many vintage cars were new, I wasted a lot of my life living in dives, traveling to remote parts of the world, or doing my best to do nothing at all. This little boy slammed into my heart like a huge bullet tearing through my soul. All that time spent feeling like my life was useless, like it was not worth living at all, and here he was... four years old... tiny... frail... yet clinging so tenaciously to a paltry life, and life simply eluded him.

I read to him constantly. Children's stories... Especially rhyming stories... He would lie there and listen, and his eyes would twinkle so brightly... "Here's a little baby, one, two, three, sits on his father's lap... What does he see? PEEPO!"

There are so many children out there right now with no one... No one to talk to... To listen to them... To read a simple story to them... And so, here I am... A social worker... I do what I am able... Sometimes I am good, sometimes very good, and at other times mediocre, but here I am. If some of you understand loneliness, and do not want it for others, social work is a good thing to do.

Such a sad story, one wonders why his parents left him all alone like that, and I'm sure he also wondered, why they aren't there.
I mean maybe it was hard for his parents to face the truth but it must have been even harder for him, he was lonely yet suffering from the sickness. At least you were there for him and I hope he became a little bit happy by your company because kids doesn't deserve to be unhappy.
If I were you, I would ask the parents why there was no one, at the funeral. Did you try to ask?

Well, that bummed me completely this morning. But in a good way. Lots of injustice and just screwed up chance in the world, people having their lives ending prematurely because of lowsy chance in the gene pool gamble. At least this kid had you. Cheers unto you for that.

Delphinium said:
Such a sad story, one wonders why his parents left him all alone like that, and I'm sure he also wondered, why they aren't there.
I mean maybe it was hard for his parents to face the truth but it must have been even harder for him, he was lonely yet suffering from the sickness. At least you were there for him and I hope he became a little bit happy by your company because kids doesn't deserve to be unhappy.
If I were you, I would ask the parents why there was no one, at the funeral. Did you try to ask?

Delphinium... I didn't understand back then. I do now. I do not condone what his parents did, but I do understand.

Damien was very ill. He had spent most of his four years in the hospital. He was born prematurely, and suffered respiratory problems right from the start. His parents were teens. His mother could not have been more than 15 or 16 when he came along. His father not much, if any, older. I saw the parents at the funeral, and his grandmother. The parents did not live together. Were not married, and never had. His grandmother could not have been more than 40 years old herself.

The service was simple. There were not many people there, and a minister talked about the innocence of children, and reassured the little gathering that he would be in heaven with the angels. The parents stood back and watched in silence. They looked unable to cry. As if they were past being able to. The grandmother cried inconsolably, and that made me angry at the time. I guess it still does when I think about it. The minister said a lot of nice things, but had never met Damien. At the time I thought his words empty; that he could have said more when Damien needed him most. In life, not in death.

The parents couldn't do it... The long days and nights that turned into years... The knowledge that their little boy had only the most tenuous hold on life from the day he came into the world. They could not watch him suffer, or hear him cry, so they turned away... Tried to live without all that... But, in the end, it caught up. After he passed away they couldn't take it back, they couldn't undo what they had done. Their own loneliness lay in their guilt. What a terrible, solitary place to be.

Damien had a favorite story. It was one of a set of Little Golden Books, and the story was called "The Poky Little Puppy." I still know every word of it by heart. A friend bought him pajamas with a Poky Little Puppy print all over them. After Damien died, the nurses gave them back to me. I gave them to my friend who washed them and brought them back. She had scoured a lot of stores to find those pajamas, and was determined he be allowed to keep them. She came to the funeral with me. The state allowed him to be dressed in them, a pair of brand new very bright blue socks and a pair of animal slippers. He never got to wear them in life, but I kinda hoped he might need them for his journey, and he loved them. He got to keep his story too.

Not much for a short life is it?

Many parents cannot face serious illnesses in their children. The burden is great, and there are those for whom it is too great to carry. I long ago stopped being angry. I just took a lesson with me.

Most importantly, you asked if he wondered where his parents were. Yes he did. When he really hurt or he had a lot of trouble breathing he would sometimes cry for "Mummy." My big hands and male fingers could never be mistaken for a mother's hands or fingers. It was very difficult to feel his hands clutching mine knowing he wanted to feel his mother's touch. But even my rough hands were better than no hands at all.

Latest posts

Back