A new hobby for a new year?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
Has anyone picked up any new hobbies (or are you planning to)? Do you already have a couple?
I find that hobbies are invaluable for lonely people because they help us to refocus our energy on more positive things and can serve as a comfort and distraction during rough times.
They also help me to feel less lonely, although that's an individual thing. Last summer I had no hobbies and I slipping into kind of a dark place but now I am sewing/crocheting again and it helps to keep my spirits up.
So, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I used to have a lot more hobbies and you're right it helps with keeping spirits up and keeping busy. I'm not sure if I'm going to find new ones so much as try and get back to do some old ones. I want to read more, write more, walk more and take more photos. I also need to get back to knitting...

I made a few clear resin + bottlecap magnets with pictures of League of Legends champions in the background. I originally got the resin for something else but never ended up using it. I did the summoner pics of Annie and Katarina.

I also ordered some smaller wire and better round nose pliers so I can practice making my wire puzzles. I've started getting pretty good at writing with wire too but the wire I have is just really hard to work with.

Its funny you mention knitting. I'm going to learn knitting this week from a friend that is here for vacation.

I found knitting a really frustrating thing to learn. I couldn't work out why my mum couldn't make it clearer...until I tried to show someone! :p

I was never very good at knitting. If I tried now I probably couldn't even do it!!!

To be fair I cast on a cheating way my gran did and I can't follow a pattern! I'm brilliant at scarves though and can do detailing at the ends. :)

Knitting is not as forgiving as crochet, I think. But knitting is more versatile and it's easier to find good patterns.

Yeah when I first learned I used to drop stitches and end up with holes, though I chose to call them "feature windows"...

Good luck with it. :)

I made a small bow out of pens... it's not perfect but I'll keep making small weapons with stuff... that's my new hobby.

I like to gather plants and make healing oils, ointments and tinctures. I also make necklaces and pendulums, i paint, write and try to learn guitar. I create guided visualisations, but have only shared one. This year i would like to sew my own belly dancing costume.

I cant knit but i crochet, little slippers for the chairs so they dont scratch my floor lol

whispers, little slippers so the chairs don't scratch your floors sound like an awesome idea. tell if you make enough to sell some.

contemplating the idea of making more sets of smileys, with different themes.

OOh new smilies, i like the idea...
About a chair slipper business.... not likely,lol to much trouble, chairs are so different... and im not very talented :)

Latest posts

Back