ADHD is a lie - school kills creativity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice vid. Although I'm not sure about grouping kids of different ages in one classroom. I see the point of that though.. we all have different strengths and age doesn't have to do with it all the time.

IgnoredOne said:
Yes, insanity is better than knowledge >.>

Totally. ^^ I'd probably have a great time at work if I didn't know anything and could focus my energy on drawing on walls instead. I'm sure the patients would appreciate that, too.

School didn't kill my creativity. If anything, it forced me to become MORE creative and learn to adapt to the problems that an inherently repressive society structure exhibits.

Phaedron said:
But creativity shall have it's revenge...

[video=youtube]

my favorite co-worker always called me adhd...Einstein, (ok, name dropping out of fun, my grandmother gave him a ride home when she was 18 in Long Island NY..and his wife) had adhd......when parents supress JOY out of kid, it sucks. adhd is brilliance and a smart parent would teach the child how to float spoons in the air with that kind of energy...JOY is adhd....the most brilliant in the world are all ADHD'ers ...they just need to be left alone to work and play and people need to STOP putting them down...as long as the adhd'ers don't make fun of people or do bad things to people...then they are BRILLIANT!

Phaedron said:

[video=youtube]

most my friends who run companies are adhd'ers....and they don't care, they know they are...joy is what it is...get enough adhd'ers together and you could cure the entire world......I fully believe that.

Henry Ford: Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right.

Phaedron said:

[video=youtube]

When people crush your JOY TELL THEM TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY....

Hell is a really bad place..I think it is called Gaheena in some places of the world. Dante's Inferno does exist.

while i do think that adhd is a lot of overblown malarkey most of the time, i do think it is a real thing.

i feel like the way the world sees it though is that if a kid doesn't want to sit down, shut up, and listen in school its because he's has a disease and needs medication for it. that's faulty rationalization in my opinion. sometime the kid just needs to be told to sit down and pay freaking attention. lack of discipline is too often misconstrued as a disease these days.

to say that we live in the age of the greatest technological advances and then to say that we live in a society devoid of creativity is a complete contradiction in my opinion.

RJLJD said:
while i do think that adhd is a lot of overblown malarkey most of the time, i do think it is a real thing.

i feel like the way the world sees it though is that if a kid doesn't want to sit down, shut up, and listen in school its because he's has a disease and needs medication for it. that's faulty rationalization in my opinion. sometime the kid just needs to be told to sit down and pay freaking attention. lack of discipline is too often misconstrued as a disease these days.

to say that we live in the age of the greatest technological advances and then to say that we live in a society devoid of creativity is a complete contradiction in my opinion.

I agree with this. Well said

ADHD is a condition that can actually be neurologically diagnosed and identified. I do think that we might be hasty to overmedicate children who show signs of distraction, rather than focus on study methods. I do not believe that 'creativity' is the solution alone, because quite frankly, useful knowledge is one that can be passed on and can then be reimagined for solutions.

Japanese students, for example, as a whole are forced to study far more than most American children and are overall better educated and frankly form a better basis for a technological society as they mature into the system. Creativity can be useful, but letting people speculate blindly does not bring us any contributions in society.

Savage hunter-gathering living, for example, functionally offers a lower caloric consumption rate, reduced life expectancy, increased infant mortality and one could argue, an overall lowered standard of living compared to even mildly organized and systematic agarian statehoods.

IgnoredOne said:
ADHD is a condition that can actually be neurologically diagnosed and identified. I do think that we might be hasty to overmedicate children who show signs of distraction, rather than focus on study methods. I do not believe that 'creativity' is the solution alone, because quite frankly, useful knowledge is one that can be passed on and can then be reimagined for solutions.

Japanese students, for example, as a whole are forced to study far more than most American children and are overall better educated and frankly form a better basis for a technological society as they mature into the system. Creativity can be useful, but letting people speculate blindly does not bring us any contributions in society.

Savage hunter-gathering living, for example, functionally offers a lower caloric consumption rate, reduced life expectancy, increased infant mortality and one could argue, an overall lowered standard of living compared to even mildly organized and systematic agarian statehoods.

I love that comment about Savage hunter gatherer consumption. Very efficient.

I had a client with a 16 year old kid that was adhd and couldn't write a paper to save his life in high school. I helped her to install Dragon Dictate where he could
speak his papers and he started getting A's. I come from a whole line of teachers in my family. I always believed people could learn 1 of 3 ways. Visually (vidoe, I watched many foreigners who worked at my old plant pick up english here by watching tv everyday, it was amazing), auditorially by listening or by Reading.
if one method doesn't work, then try the next, however the information goes into the computer brain is ok. college was just the very very very tip of the ice berg for me...after I got my first job for 8 years... I went to many more what they call cram corporate classes for $1500 a week (basically those certificate courses which is like taking a whole semester in 5 day

JesusGirl1 said:
I come from a whole line of teachers in my family. I always believed people could learn 1 of 3 ways. Visually (vidoe, I watched many foreigners who worked at my old plant pick up english here by watching tv everyday, it was amazing), auditorially by listening or by Reading.
if one method doesn't work, then try the next, however the information goes into the computer brain is ok.

You believe, but that is contradicted by scientific evidence.

Wikipedia said:
Although the concept of learning styles enjoys great popularity among educators in some countries, and both children and adults express preferences for particular modes of learning, there is no evidence that identifying a student's learning style produces better outcomes, and there is substantial evidence that the widespread "meshing hypothesis" (that a student will learn best if taught in a method deemed appropriate for the student's learning style) is invalid. Well-designed studies "flatly contradict the popular meshing hypothesis".
w/ notable cross-reference to Psychological Science in the Public Interest.

I am, in fact, a tutor and a teacher working for Kaplan as well as a team lead for my company that involves coaching and teaching; I am certified to teach ADHD students, not to mention have personal relationships with people with ADHD. Its entirely real as a condition, though it can be overdiagnosed. Still, every single study shows that the executive function can be improved by medication, and that can improve overall functioning.

Overall exposure is what causes someone to learn, which is why someone can learn from TV. But this doesn't make ADHD any less real. And insofar as personal experience, I've been technically working in coding since I was 14, and got into college when I was 16. Systems work, and en masse, honestly work far better than 'creativity' more often than not.

Latest posts

Back