adults with no job

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayme89

Reaction score
If you are an adult and don't have a job, how are you surviving exactly? Sorry if its a stupid question but i'm curious to know what the living situations of other people are. Are you living with your parents/family/friends? Do they pressure you to get a job and move out or do they just allow you to live with them? Who are you getting money from to afford your basic needs like food or gas (if applicable). Are you actively pursuing work or have you given up? Have you ever lived independently or has this always been your situation. Just curious bc I hear stories all the time about people who are 24+ and haven't had a job for years and i just wonder about how they do it. No judgement, just curiosity. I didn't have a job all this summer, been living at home and miserable! I finally got the job and pay I want and in a few months I hope to be out of here.

I spent 6 months unemployed 3 years ago, but I had some money saved up from a previous job, so with a little economy I made ends meet.

As for living with parents after a certain age, I never could realize this perception of society that you must be a creep/loser/mamma's boy to live with your parents. In my country it is considered normal for both men and women to live with their parents even until their 35s sometimes, they usually move out when they marry. It is more economic this way and, quite frankly, if your parents are not controlling and demanding, there is no reason to throw money each month on an apartment when you can save them for the future. I'm 25 and still live with my parents, actually very few people my age live in their own place where I live.

I spent most of the years 1986 to 1997 unemployed. I did several training courses, helped my Dad with his building work, played golf nearly every day. Before the days of the internet, life was very boring. Got £50 dole money to live on. The big part of my day would be going to the shop and buying a paper. I would think of what to say to the cashier because it was the only conversation I would have during the day.

Possible a mixture of JSA and working temporary or part time until you find permanent employment.

funny, only the other day I was wondering the same thing as the OP. Someone I know, her grandmother bought her a flat so she doesn't pay any rent and she gets money from her family, not sure why because she is 40 and I never heard from her in 20 years: I want to look for a job. A guy who also can live without working goes around to religious centers as a volunteer so he gets food for some months, he is goodlooking and usually has girlfriends who cater for him, wonder what will happen to him when he loses his good looks. These are actually extreme cases because they don't WANT to work. One of my very few friends has depression and is on benefits since 15 years.

I think with the bad economy many people, even those who do have a job, must accept help from others, if they are lucky enough to get it.

For many years of adulthood (after age 23) I wasn't working but I was studying, and as it was my family who insisted on me studying they were paying for my maintenance and I felt OK with it, with occasional resentment, also because they were reminding me pretty often. I had summer jobs, also to keep the self esteem up, free lance jobs, but never a 9 to 5 or even a real contract for more than a few months.
Must add that since 2004 I have a disability with no hope of getting benefits, so it is not easy to find a job with the right conditions. For the last three years I had a regular job, now it will take a while to find another one. Had a freelancing parttime contract for two months this summer! But it's not nearly enough to pay the rent.
In the meanwhile, I use up savings and family sends some money to cover for the rent. Without that, I'd be totally screwed and live in a car while very ill and probably die quickly.

I work, but I don't really have one specific job. I have various sorts of unsteady work, and I basically keep my fingers crossed all day that something will come up. Like- I own a small day spa, but there are days that nobody comes in. I'm a dog walker, but my clients only need me when they go out of town for a weekend here or there.

I've applied everywhere that I know is hiring. I've heard people say, "Maybe you should try McDonald's. They hire everybody!" It makes me want to slap them around a bit, because I didn't say, I applied, "everywhere except McDonald's." For future reference, guys, they do not hire everybody, and you shouldn't assume the unemployed person you're talking to is too snobby to work minimum wage.

Without the internet, I wouldn't have any income at all. I use it to advertise, find out who else is hiring, get short term jobs, etc. Most of the money I make these days comes through Fiverr and Amazon turks.

My mom owns the property where I live, or I would be homeless. She lives in another city, and I am basically house-sitting while the property is on the market.

nerdygirl said:
Without the internet, I wouldn't have any income at all. I use it to advertise, find out who else is hiring, get short term jobs, etc. Most of the money I make these days comes through Fiverr and Amazon turks.

My mom owns the property where I live, or I would be homeless. She lives in another city, and I am basically house-sitting while the property is on the market.

I could use some extra dough these days--how has M. Turk worked out for you? I actually joined a while ago but never bothered with it, as I saw that most jobs pay between 3 and 10 cents, no joke, that is what I saw quite literally.

On another forum, someone said you can get $5 transcription jobs, and you don't need any special credentials or anything for that. But the thing is--I thought only those who have been around a lot and gotten a good reputation can get those jobs worth 5 beans or more...

i am lucky because I reinvented myself when I lost my job - me, sent packing with a pat on the pack for my "servitude" by a small but highly successful company where I worked for over 20 years in Dec. 2009. Two days before Christmas, in fact. Thanks.

I was unemployed for well past the 99 week government unemployment assistance. I did apply for other jobs, most were for less than I used to earn. But the US economy is such that the competition outlasted available positions. In my state, job openings were, and are still very limited. Yes, even at your fave fast food joint.

However, I had other options available to me - working for myself. I have knowledge I gained from years and years of outside interests. I've been able to combine that with my former job experience, and I have parlayed both by starting my own business, scraping by for a living. I do what I want when I want, and I love it. I do work a lot more hours on some days that I would at a hired position job. I also do freelance work when the occasion to do so comes my way.

To be honest I'm on health insurance due to my depression/bi polar.

My moods are pretty bad as of right now and I'm off of work until I get better handling my moods. Lots of people judge me cause of it, but I don't really care that much anymore. It used to bother me a lot... cause lots of people stopped talking to me once they heard I'm bi polar.

As of right now I live with my parents and they're the most supportive parents ever. Still get money and I pay for my own food, things I need for myself and help with rent/utilities. Once things get better for me, I'll get a job. I've been looking into classes again myself and I'm looking forward to that.

Right now though I'm just trying to feel better about myself; cause I had many jobs in the past and most of the time I called out sick cause of my moods. My disorder really was bad for 2 and 1/2 years. It even affected my relationship with my friends and family...

It's still bad for me right now, but hopefully it'll get better for me soon.

Batman55 said:
I could use some extra dough these days--how has M. Turk worked out for you? I actually joined a while ago but never bothered with it, as I saw that most jobs pay between 3 and 10 cents, no joke, that is what I saw quite literally.

On another forum, someone said you can get $5 transcription jobs, and you don't need any special credentials or anything for that. But the thing is--I thought only those who have been around a lot and gotten a good reputation can get those jobs worth 5 beans or more...

Yes, most of the jobs you can get are very low paying. I don't bother with any that are under 40 cents.

I was looking for work and claiming JSA, but eventually called off the search and now Im on disability. Living at my parents.

Yes, most tasks available on Mechanical Turk award you with less than 40 cents when you complete them.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Under 40 cents, wtf? Are there jobs out there that pay that little?

Well, these are jobs you can do within a few minutes. If you do the work fast enough, you might make minimum wage.

I am 43 and currently have no job and haven't had one for almost ten years. I am on disability and as soon as that happened it became difficult to get a job for several reasons. One is I began to fear I would lose my benefits. I also saw no point of trying to get just a part time job. I've really screwed myself over the years and I'm still feeling the effects.

I also have never had a serious relationship with a woman but that's another story. If I was married I could at least fall back on a second income and get off disability but unfortunately that's not an option. I seem to be stuck in this situation indefinitely.

Technically I don't have a job, but am self employed, doing a wide variety of different things. Only ever seem to be a bad month away from the honeysuckle hitting the fan, but always seem to manage somehow (at least to date!). I prefer the freedom to the security of a paid regular job, at the same time it can be quite isolating, but I have worked in jobs where I was surrounded by people and felt very isolated due to being too different to fit their corporate culture!

I got canned today , bosses kid damaged one of the trucks and blamed me , so I got the axe.

I won't be able to get a job for a few months as in Nevada they test everyone for any job , and hair takes 3 months to clean , and it was just Halloween, the one day zombies are welcome in with open arms.
On top of this my sister put her house up for sale , as she just went through her first go around of real world home repairs and it scared her off the idea of ownership.

I have NO idea how I will survive, but I do have experience being homeless (well as a kid) so it's not like it will be a road I never traveled.

StarvingZombie said:
I got canned today , bosses kid damaged one of the trucks and blamed me , so I got the axe.

I won't be able to get a job for a few months as in Nevada they test everyone for any job , and hair takes 3 months to clean , and it was just Halloween, the one day zombies are welcome in with open arms.
On top of this my sister put her house up for sale , as she just went through her first go around of real world home repairs and it scared her off the idea of ownership.

I have NO idea how I will survive, but I do have experience being homeless (well as a kid) so it's not like it will be a road I never traveled.

*hug* Sorry to hear that, Z.

StarvingZombie said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can find a way through this :(

Latest posts

Back