Am i being made fun of?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeyroad92

Reaction score
There is a girl at my work who is always really nice to me, but in an almost patronizing way. Every time she sees me she acts all happy and says hi, and before i can even respond she's going "awwww" like i'm a baby. At first it felt really good that someone was being so nice to me, but now it almost makes me feel bad, like she's treating me like i'm really socially awkward or something. I walked into the break room the other day and she was sitting at a full table with a bunch of other people. I sat at another table and went on my phone. Then she brought attention to the fact that i was alone at the table, and went on to say that i was so cute. I know she didn't mean my looks. I'm pretty sure cute is just a nice way of saying i'm innocent or weird. On the one hand it's nice that she's nice to me, but on the other it sucks. I've never had a girlfriend before and i don't know how i ever will if i come off as innocent or "cute". I know this story sounds like something a 15 year old would say, but i'm 20 and being seen as "cute" is really starting to bother me. And i'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend so any hope that she likes me is gone. I don't know what my point is, but i just had to get that off my chest.

LOL, ya sounds like someone i know too !! I know that the person i,m refering to is all about the show, ''look at how nice and considerate i am ''. If i were you i wouldnt take it too personnaly. I'm not saying she is making fun of you or beeing uncaring, but its just too much.

abbeyroad92 said:
There is a girl at my work who is always really nice to me, but in an almost patronizing way. Every time she sees me she acts all happy and says hi, and before i can even respond she's going "awwww" like i'm a baby. At first it felt really good that someone was being so nice to me, but now it almost makes me feel bad, like she's treating me like i'm really socially awkward or something. I walked into the break room the other day and she was sitting at a full table with a bunch of other people. I sat at another table and went on my phone. Then she brought attention to the fact that i was alone at the table, and went on to say that i was so cute. I know she didn't mean my looks. I'm pretty sure cute is just a nice way of saying i'm innocent or weird. On the one hand it's nice that she's nice to me, but on the other it sucks. I've never had a girlfriend before and i don't know how i ever will if i come off as innocent or "cute". I know this story sounds like something a 15 year old would say, but i'm 20 and being seen as "cute" is really starting to bother me. And i'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend so any hope that she likes me is gone. I don't know what my point is, but i just had to get that off my chest.

she is taking the piss, just give her a few mean looks. I had this a few times when I was younger

It might be her way of insulting you without doing so overtly so that she can maintain her imaginary good conscience.

I've been through this a few years ago in college. It was alright at first, but it got really annoying later on. I completely ignored her after that.

I could have easily written the opening post. The exact same thing happens at my job. There's a girl there and she acts like she feels all sorry for me or thinks that I'm a cute, weird, social outcast (But in a mean, patronizing way like you). I got to know her a little more, her interests, the way she acts with other people and realised she's just immature on the whole. Don't let this girl intimidate you. Whenever she talks this way to you, just ignore it. The less you care about what she has to say, she'll get the message sooner or later. Don't give her the pleasure of attention and reaction.

That does sound like it would be irritating after awhile. Could be that's just the way she is or maybe she likes you, since she seems to be stuck in that school yard mentality. She might be picking up on how, well don't want to say antisocial, but hopefully you get what I mean, the right word escapes me now. Her doing what she is, is her uncomfortable unknowing way to try to get you to open up more to everyone around you.

She's a year younger than me, and I know she isn't trying to be mean, I'm just not sure what she's doing. Yesterday she kept on telling everyone that I was so cute, sometimes right in front of me and other times when she thought I wasn't looking. She asked me why I was so shy and if I was afraid of her. I started talking a bit more with her so I think the whole "cute" thing might be taken down a notch, since she actually knows a little about me now. And as annoying as the cute thing is, I think I always kind of liked the attention. I actually have a bit of a crush on her now if you can believe it.

When she was to draw attention to me (If it were me in your position) and say that I was "cute" in an obvious taunting way, I'd just reply with, "Oh I know I am. But it is sweet of you to notice!". I'd say it with a bubbly smile, also letting her know that she isn't intimidating me by staring her in the eye. She knows that she is intimidating you. For some reason, sick people get "power" and satisfaction from it. Babe, don't give her the satisfaction. It pisses me off so badly because before I dropped out of highschool, the "preppy" girls used to smile and make comments that she liked my jacket or something (I was a major outcast 1950's rockabilly Scene girl). As she said the the other girls would giggle to themselves, making sure that I heard it. When I walked away, they'd say mean things that I'm a freak or honeysuckle like I'd be so pretty if I wasn't a weird *****. I was bulimic as well and somehow it got around and when they passed by me they'd make gagging sounds and laughing. It hurt. I wish I knew how to deal with it then. I hope things get better for you.

Oh for some reason I didn't see the last post you made. LOL my bad.
Total Fail...
That's great, AbbeyRoad. I'm happy to know that is happening to one less person.
:)

If a girl tries to do something like that in a patronizing way I would flirt with her. That will shut her up very fast, guaranteed ;)

I would be CAREFUL of flirting with her.

The sexual harassment laws in your country may not be on your side in that case, and you might just get in trouble.
Best way to get around it is to just avoid her.

Ugh I wouldn't play into those games. Just be yourself, if anything annoys you though let her know about it. Guys did this to me and told me I was missing out on the action. I came right out and said well I respect my body. You can try all you want, it'll just lead you to a dead end. If I know just wants me for sex or makes fun of me I stop talking to them immediately. You don't need people who don't appreciate you for who you are in your life trust me.

Ugh, girls would do that to me all the time too. I get a tiny bit of that at work, but it's not that bad and I am the youngest, so it's kind of tongue-in-cheek. She probably just enjoys the fact that she makes you nervous and uncomfortable, so I agree with the people who say not to give her the satisfaction. Just ignore her childishness and carry on a normal conversation. It disarms these people when they realize you're not really any different from them.

It is hard to tell. She could be genuine or not. You'd have to get to know her well to know for sure. The first Girl I ever kissed was a bit like that towards me for years. Then as I got more confident, she treated me more maturely (Just like I treated her ;)) Lol

Yeah she's gotten a bit better. She actually talks to me normally sometimes. She still treats me differently than all the other guys, who come off as more confident and less shy than I do.

Cute? I don't think any guy likes to be called 'cute'. I definitely hear you on that one.

Latest posts

Back