Any Other Depressed High-Schoolers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
There are people that have been through things that make them hard to realize that it does not happen to everyone. Someone warning you about something like that is not giving you disrespect or tell you that you are child. It means he is concerned about something important to him.

As for respect, some people don't give it until you earn it. Many people forget that just because you WANT something, doesn't mean you'll always get it. Adults don't always get respect. Sorry, but you are no different. I would be careful how you word yourself and the...demands, you make. (Not a warning or a threat, just a little friendly advice) People aren't entitled to respect. Yes, it's nice when you get it, but no one HAS to respect you. No offense, but you come across as a kid who thinks he's entitled to what he wants. You aren't, no one is. Work for it, earn it and you'll get it. Demanding it won't.

Interesting. I don't know why I'm bothering to type this, because I know that you would never admit that you're wrong, because I am, in your eyes, a kid. I know that you will continue to rationalize no matter what I say, because that is basic human behavior. And I certainly won't be around to see the results. But maybe it'll make me feel better.

So, let's construct an analogous situation. You feel lonely, so you go to, say, a bar, to meet new people. On your way in, a person you've never seen before approaches you.

Stranger: "Hey, miss. Watch out for rapists."
You: "Um...yes...I know that. Thank you?"
Stranger: "Hm...well, if people like you start coming here, I'll need to find a way to protect you."
You: "I...I...I don't nee--"
Stranger: "I know how easy it would be for a rapist to take advantage of you. All it would take is a few kind words and you'd be eating out of his hand."
You: "Um...it's...kinda rude to assume that I ca--"
Stranger: "Listen. You want respect? Well, if you want me to observe the conventions of basic, polite conversation, like most people do, you have to earn it. Nobody is entitled to respect. I don't have to respect you. Listen to yourself; you sound like an entitled kid."

The above conversation is a slight exaggeration of the situation, but I thought that was necessary, as you didn't seem to have gotten the point the first time around. Is it wrong to feel offense in that situation? Is it wrong to express that? Apparently. Now take this back on to the internet. Believe it or not, the same conventions of conversation are generally observed there. Moreover, being rude on an online forum is one thing, but doing so on a forum designed specifically to be welcoming to lonely people? Interesting.

Well, maybe I am an entitled kid. Maybe it is ridiculous to expect people on a forum designed to treat lonely people with respect to treat lonely people with respect. But another key difference here is that you would have responded to my statement in a completely different way were I your age or older. I wouldn't be "entitled" if I were, say, thirty-five. No, I'd just be asking for some basic respect that you would happily give me.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say here is, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that after a year of people who have no idea what I'm feeling like not understanding me, I thought that maybe someone in this community of people who profess to have gone through similar experiences would act towards me as they would like others to have acted towards them in their experiences. I'm sorry that I was naive enough to think that I would be judged not on my age but on who I was. I'm sorry that I feel entitled to be treated as a person rather than an object that needs to be protected.

Regardless. I have taken your words to heart and will no longer demand respect. Feel free to rationalize. Feel free to continue to expound upon my entitlement and immaturity. Feel free to maintain your policy of condescension. I won't be around to see it; I'm closing my account here now. If that's even possible; otherwise, I'll just log off for the last time. Enjoy your forums.

Adran said:
Feel free to maintain your policy of condescension. I won't be around to see it; I'm closing my account here now. If that's even possible; otherwise, I'll just log off for the last time. Enjoy your forums.

Way to control the situation and have the last word, Adran.

I doubt if you had taken the time to read what Cumulus James has been through, that you'd judge him on what he said.

But you won't ever take the time because you're just going to take control of the situation, and log off/shut down your account.

The ******* guy has been through hell where he was raped several times as a kid and he apparently wants to prevent it from happening to anyone else. This is one of the first times I've seen him reach out to others on this forum instead of being consumed by his own pain. Sorry he bruised your ego. There are worse things in this world than your ego, learn to see the entire story/situation before you cast judgment on others and you make a decision.

Adran said:
I know that you would never admit that you're wrong, because I am, in your eyes, a kid. I know that you will continue to rationalize no matter what I say, because that is basic human behavior. And I certainly won't be around to see the results. But maybe it'll make me feel better.

Okay, first, you don't know what I think. I don't see ages, but I do see you as less experienced in life than some of the older people here. You ARE a teenager, which means, while you may very well have been through some horrible honeysuckle in your life, you don't have the life experience of some of the people here.
As for the entitled part of your argument. What you don't realize is that I HAVE said that older people act like they are entitled. Here on this very forum and in real life. So, that blows that argument out of the water.

As for your whole little scenario, well, I truly believe that EVERYONE could do with warnings. Just because you don't THINK you would get into a situation like that. Whether it be rape or otherwise, people being cautious is NOT a bad thing...EVER.

Also, you made Soph said "*******." Congrats on that, she doesn't say the word much. Take what you like and leave the rest. Wise words to live by. You don't have to like something someone says, but when you blow up at someone like you did to both me and Cumulus.James, why do you feel you deserve respect? It goes both ways. More words to live by.

Best of luck to you.

When I first came on this forum, I used to be recationary and lash out. I stopped for a few years because I was banned for a period for some reason. But sometimes on the net you can mis-interperet things and feel got at somehow.

Don't think it does good to blame him. His opinion was his own and he has a right to it.

I do think Adran needed the forum. So I wish he would come back and give it another chance. I just don't like how he made assumptions.

I just don't like the idea of a "lonley and depressed" 16 yr old, because I was one and I had nowhere to turn (the net was about then, but not commonplace in peoples homes in the uk at that time - you got it first in the US).

Also that was a long time ago now. I have not known a 16 yr old for over a decade, so I likely don't understand them.

Adran said:
Lonely because none of them know what it feels like...

That feeling i have gone through that since I was 5 years old.. i guess I learnt something from that.. Trust yourself.. Learn to love who you are coz rarely u gonna find some1 who gives a ****...
You wanna talk?? U can definitely PM me... i will make sure to reply.. :)

Latest posts

Back