Can you teach someone to love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regumika said:
JHK said:
I do that sometimes - I have a habit of acting like a jackass a d throwing their... whatever it is, compassion I guess, back in their face. I don't really want to, but I get retarded anxious.
I lost someone I really cared about that way. I guess you can only try so long before you get tired of seeming like you're not being appreciated and you move on. I see it happening and I try not to act like a selfish dick I just can't seem to help it even though it's the last thing I want. Then I start over again because what good am I anyway? Obviously not a very quick study.

I'm assuming that this thread is referring to yourself and if you can learn how to love. What you described here though... I'm feeling that it's not a problem of "know how to love." Like what Callie said, there is a difference between being loving and love. Though I feel it's a problem of personality/habit.

I believe that we all know what love. If our childhood was brought up poorly (with lack of love) then we instinctively know that it was bad/unhappy. [He] might assume that the rest of the world is that way too (unloving) but that's not the same as saying "he grew up not knowing what love is." He might not know how to love but he knows the lack of love, and therefore knows love because he knows what love isn't.

So JHK, you know what you want, right? You know how you want to be treated to feel happy - loved. If you didn't know what you want then you wouldn't be sad for not having (yet) what you want. What's that saying.. "you can't miss what you never had." Not the exact situation, but the concept is the same.

I kind of get what you are saying, but I'm not sure you get it. I don't understand how I am supposed to know what something is when I don't think I have ever felt it.
I know what it's like to be strung out on the streets - I don't know what it is like to tucked in and held to make it okay.
I know the IDEA of it. I can make it up in my head what I think it should be. But I don't KNOW it. You can't know what you don't understand.
And when it is nice, I don't feel good. I get upset and anxious. That's not how you're supposed to react. See?

Latest posts

Back