Coping with being single

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman1978

Reaction score
I'm sure that I'll feel better in a few days, but sometimes being single can be upsetting for me. Does anyone else experience this from time to time?

Pretty much all the time. I long to love and be loved, to really matter to someone. It's a constant emptiness. I hope you meet someone soon.

You know whats worse then being single.... being with someone and dealing with their arguments, suspecisions, annoying moments, or even if you only do one night stands: you might wake up with a STD or even find out your kidneys have been stolen! We all need to remember the grass isn't really any greener. Nature generally has a way of compensating for everyone. Worst of all, don't ever hookup out of desperation, even if it's mutual.

At least the only downside to being single is the yearning and longing, whereas the downside of being in a relationship wastes a lot of time and drives you crazy with all sorts of drama. It tends to waste a lot of money too. I just try to look at the good side of wherever I am and the bad of where I could be.

In the end it really doesn't matter where I am at all. Desire will always yearn for what it doesn't have, and come to ignore what it does have.

Desire will always yearn for what it doesn't have, and come to ignore what it does have.

Great quote!

Iceman, I feel the same. I long for someone else to truly accept me as I would them and not just say what they think I want to hear 'in the moment'.

Unfortunately, reality has smacked me in the face one too many times so that now it's just easier to be alone and not bother trying anymore.

Phaedron said:
At least the only downside to being single is the yearning and longing, whereas the downside of being in a relationship wastes a lot of time and drives you crazy with all sorts of drama. It tends to waste a lot of money too. I just try to look at the good side of wherever I am and the bad of where I could be.

I'm thinking the same too. It was so much emotional stress!

Phaedron said:
You know whats worse then being single.... being with someone and dealing with their arguments, suspecisions, annoying moments, or even if you only do one night stands: you might wake up with a STD or even find out your kidneys have been stolen! We all need to remember the grass isn't really any greener. Nature generally has a way of compensating for everyone. Worst of all, don't ever hookup out of desperation, even if it's mutual.

In the end it really doesn't matter where I am at all. Desire will always yearn for what it doesn't have, and come to ignore what it does have.

I know quite a few people who are in relationships and miserable because of the drama. Same goes for people in unhappy marriages.

LoneKiller said:
Oddly enough, I enjoy being single.

Most of the time I do too. It's not so much being single that bothers me as it is the thought that I couldn't get a date even if I really wanted to.

Iceman1978 said:
Most of the time I do too. It's not so much being single that bothers me as it is the thought that I couldn't get a date even if I really wanted to.
And how do you know that you couldn't get a date if you wanted to? You don't really.

I don't mind being single. I do mind though being in love with someone that I cannot be with.

I get this. Sometimes I sit and realize how all of the people around me seem to be in long term relationships whilst I am not. But at the same time I know some great people who're single and they're fine. Things like this will always come and go with some people. Try to shrug it off and be happy ^_^

One day you'll be in a relationship and miss the days of being single lol.

I recently thought I had made a real connection with someone. did the coffee thing followed by the dinner thing. We talked for hours, both times. Texting each other on the regular. Had real high hopes.

******* stupid.

suckaG said:
I recently thought I had made a real connection with someone. did the coffee thing followed by the dinner thing. We talked for hours, both times. Texting each other on the regular. Had real high hopes.

******* stupid.

What happened?

I am determined to learn to enjoy being single. I'm an introvert by nature, and don't tend to feel lonely. It's hard to let go after 14 years of marriage, but I truly do believe that being single is my best choice, moving forward.

Right now I have mixed feelings. It's like 50% of my heart wishes it could be in a loving relationship, and the other 50% actually enjoys freedom and solitude. And maybe in time, those percentages will change, so that eventually only 10% of my heart longs for something more, and then finally I lose that longing altogether... I hope so anyway!!

@Ashariel. I feel the same: 50% wants to be with someone, 50% does like being alone.

Sometimes when you've had much pain and drama, you feel better being alone. I also don't like the ''game of dating'' going around. Maybe I'll change my mind later but for now, it's ok being alone.

suckaG said:
I asked her if she wanted to go catch a movie, and she flaked on me like a champion. ah well. plenty of fish in the sea, I just have to hone my fishing skills and polish up my lure. ;)

Shucks...sorry that happened. :\

Yeah! That's the attitude! :)

Aube said:
@Ashariel. I feel the same: 50% wants to be with someone, 50% does like being alone.

Sometimes when you've had much pain and drama, you feel better being alone. I also don't like the ''game of dating'' going around. Maybe I'll change my mind later but for now, it's ok being alone.

I second you. Sighs.

Latest posts

Back