Do you consider yourself a strong person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably the strongest person I know, which sadly isn't saying much because I'm in slim company. I've certainly persevered in situations that would break others.

I've known a lot of people who listened to "extreme" metal. Besides looking the part, they had the mental fortitude and emotional stability of teeny tiny kittens.

Well, it's clear that my op was a bit misunderstood by some folks here.

As I said, I was having a conversation with an acquaintance of mine, and it ended up with the conclusion, which may be right or wrong, that only 'strong' people can deal with the "tough" subjects extreme metal talks about.

All in all, that was just the way I had to start this topic. Not a general statement that EVERYONE who listens to death/black metal are strong and ALL the others are weak.

The reason I started this thread was that I am confused at how much some people here seem to ignore that they need inner strenght if they are to deal, in the real world, with the subjects they talk about in this community. I mean we all seem to come here in a moment of weakness, when "something" is wrong: a broken relationship, a failed friendship, difficulties in dealing with people, et cetera. But I see no reason to persevere in the complaint when we have talked to other people, understood that we are not alone, and, most importantly, seen that our problems can be overcome.

Now that many people have read and responded to the thread, I guess I can phrase it better: are you strong enough to understand that you may not need the "help" of this community to overcome your inner feelings of defeat?

I hope noone understands this question in a negative manner.

All the best.

Peter.EU said:
FPL2014 said:
Or are you strong enough to accept life as it is, when solitude is a universal rule and friendship, companionship and even truthfulness are rare gems very very hard to find in a single lifetime??

nonono, my little friend. Friendship is everywhere, friendship is magic!

[video=youtube]

Peter.EU said:
FPL2014 said:
Or are you strong enough to accept life as it is, when solitude is a universal rule and friendship, companionship and even truthfulness are rare gems very very hard to find in a single lifetime??

nonono, my little friend. Friendship is everywhere, friendship is magic!

[video=youtube]

No need to talk long about this, since you obviously know this is not true.

We are surrounded by people who don't care about us, Peter my dear.

FPL2014 said:
Now that many people have read and responded to the thread, I guess I can phrase it better: are you strong enough to understand that you may not need the "help" of this community to overcome your inner feelings of defeat?

Sure. I can have all the inner strength within me to overcome the honeysuckle I've been through. Heck, I think that's how I have survived all those moments in my past. Didn't exactly have that many people to turn to back then. Almost no one.

But I certainly feel that my seeking help and having others to boost my recovery did a lot for me in many ways more than I ever expected. Not just to keep me going or motivation but letting me learn a lot along the way, not just about them and what wonderful people they are, but I learn a lot about me, things that I don't see of myself which others do. (I don't know how relevant this is to what you're asking but just thought of throwing this out here.)

FPL2014 said:

Do people NEED this forum and the "help it provides...no, of course not. But does it help make things maybe a little easier. Yes. So why not do something, if it is harmless and will help you on your journey?
I can't speak for everyone, but I'd wager that most of the older members of the forum (and even some of the newer ones) have made at least one friend that has made their life just a little bit better for having them in their life now.

Coming to a forum like this, having the option to remain anonymous and talking about your feeling and problems to a bunch of strangers and getting feedback and advice from them can be a powerful tool.

I do consider myself a fairly strong person. Not as strong as I could be, but its better than not being strong at all. But I don't think we're born with "inner strength". None of us are born with physical strength, we have to work out or whatever and gain it. I think its the same with "inner strength"; we overcome/survive the obstacles that come our way. Strength comes by letting situations build us up instead of tear us down. Or at least that's what I think. So anyone can be strong.

And then I agree with Callie. Its just like a lot of other things: do we need electronics? No. Do we absolutely need electricity, even? Not really. But they're helpful things. So when there's a forum as helpful as this, we don't necessarily NEED it to help us overcome things, but I find that this place can be a sort of encouragement, if you let it be, which will motivate you to keep pushing forward. Its not necessarily the fact that we're weak and we NEED to come here, it just gives us a little bit of a spark to make us even stronger. If that even makes sense. I'm not really sure how else to word it.

I generally come to this forum for advice, or to offer advice to others.

Do I need to come here? No. Coming here offers me perspective in that I see that my issues with other people and with myself are not unique and certainly not impossible to surmount.

My life has been a breeze insofar, I think, and yet I still complain about honeysuckle. I'm not very strong.

Ymir said:
My life has been a breeze insofar, I think, and yet I still complain about honeysuckle. I'm not very strong.

The only people who would say that they're a strong person, and thus implying that most people relative to them are not so strong, are those who have no experienced no difficulty. Your honesty, unlike several posters in this thread, is admirable.

PieBeNice said:
The only people who would say that they're a strong person, and thus implying that most people relative to them are not so strong, are those who have no experienced no difficulty. Your honesty, unlike several posters in this thread, is admirable.

How in the fresia do you come to that conclusion? Just because someone says that they're strong in no way implies others lack strength. Some of us have had to endure some extremely difficult honeysuckle in our lives and if we've got through it and 'toughened up' a bit then so be it! Having some clueless wonder come by and make a pathetic attempt at questioning the integrity and honesty of people he's never met shows incredible smallness and ignorance.

It's all relative, it's really more a case of how strong you perceive those are around you, in your day to day life, compared to the perception of yourself.

WildernessWildChild said:
PieBeNice said:

How in the fresia do you come to that conclusion? Just because someone says that they're strong in no way implies others lack strength. Some of us have had to endure some extremely difficult honeysuckle in our lives and if we've got through it and 'toughened up' a bit then so be it! Having some clueless wonder come by and make a pathetic attempt at questioning the integrity and honesty of people he's never met shows incredible smallness and ignorance.

The conclusion can be made by the fact that referring to yourself as a strong person suggests that humanity can be categorised in to strong and not strong and so the person is suggesting that they have some innate strength that some do not have. Your attack on me as a clueless wonder, as you say, based on the fact you interpret my response to a person as honest as an attack on others is a bit silly and your assumption does not follow from my statement, but it made me laugh. Please be unreasonable more often.

PieBeNice said:
The only people who would say that they're a strong person, and thus implying that most people relative to them are not so strong, are those who have no experienced no difficulty.

(???)

Well, to be frank, this makes little to no sense to me, but, whatever...

Being strong doesn't imply absence of difficulties, but the capacity to be greater than them.

WildernessWildChild said:
Sigh....there's no arguing with stupid.

Not at all. In such a case a very simple argument is all that would be necessary. I shall assume that the reason you're ironically resorting to such insults is because you cannot provide any justification for what you have previously stated.

I said I thought I was a fairly strong person. I never said anyone else was weak, nor did I think so. Was I supposed to say that I thought I was weak? But then that would mean that everybody else is strong. Is there something wrong with having a bit of confidence to pull you through the day? Calling myself "fairly strong", hence the word fairly, is based off of my perception of myself. I have gone through my share of crap, and believe me, I still do on a daily basis. I just handle it a lot better than I used to. Is it wrong to consider myself stronger than I used to be?

PieBeNice said:
Ymir said:

Your reasoning, on the other hand, certainly is not admirable.

When are you done?

Latest posts

Back