Do you consider yourself a strong person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been told I am a very strong person, I sometimes feel like that is a trap though, like I am just expected to absorb whatever punishment comes my way, I also find it very hard to open up about the way I am feeling as I feel like I shouldn't be feeling that way and also because I don't like the idea of letting down that veneer of strength.

Yes I consider myself a strong person. I've never had anyone I can rely on, professionals keep telling me there is nothing they can do to help me and I have to get used to being alone, I'm sure they would be unable to do so if they were in my shoes, That's why I'm strong. Being alone with no support network is one of the hardest things to face. I admire all those of you who face loneliness on a daily basis. You are strong too

badhairday said:
professionals keep telling me there is nothing they can do to help me and I have to get used to being alone

Doesn't sound very professional to me.

FPL2014 said:
I was just yesterday having a conversation about extreme metal with an acquaintance...the usual honeysuckle when one of the two guys like "soft" music and consider extreme metal to be "random noise" and the other tries to explain that his friend simply doesnt "get" heavy music.

I ended up arguing him that extreme metal is a genre for strong minds, people who are able to deal with the darker aspects of life, which are the themes of extreme metal bands.

No turning this point to the general posts you make here on ALL, do you think you are generally able to accept such dreary things as solitude, loneliness, with a clear, sane mind? Do you think you tend to 'run' from scary thoughts and ideas with the help of self-indulgence? Do you find comfort in the idea of being "the only one in the world" who faces ingratitude, lack of comprehension, solitude, and so on?

Or are you strong enough to accept life as it is, when solitude is a universal rule and friendship, companionship and even truthfulness are rare gems very very hard to find in a single lifetime??

I know I'm being picky with the OP's comparison, but I don't quite agree about the extreme metal only being a genre for strong minds, I mean...if you're talking about dark aspects of life, you could include some emo, 80's alternative, punk, and other genres of metal I'm sure. I know people who weren't strong enough to accept those things you mentioned, yet they still listened to the genres of music, mainly because it fed their sadness and despair.

Metal aside, I am definitely strong enough to accept solitude, in fact I openly and happily welcome it because I let go of the idea that we MUST be social creatures on this earth. It was an amazing eye opener, I was seeking what society told me I "needed", very desperate for friends...yet once I denounced that thought, a world of happiness opened to me and I enjoyed just being by myself. I was alone a long time, and now that I've found companionship, friendship, truthfulness and love in my relationship, I'm extremely appreciative of it. When I didn't have it, I also accepted that it was a rare gem.

Latest posts

Back