Do you ever feel that the advice you get is total rubbish?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnaert

Reaction score
I do. I feel bad about it cos I know people mean well. But come on even the advice I get from therapists is bad. I just wish people would be a little more empathetic.

There's a stigma attached to mental illness. It sucks. There's lots of misinformation out there and people have difficulty empathizing when they've never had poor mental health.

Arnaert said:
Do you ever feel that the advice you get is total rubbish?

It depends on where the advice is coming from.

If it's from random people on the internet, then generally yes.

If it's from someone that I know or have reason to believe they know what they're talking about... then no.

Most of the time, yes. But as long as the person isn't trying to force me to take their advice, just the fact that they took the time to offer it makes me feel better. And sometimes you can do the opposite of bad advice and make things work out :D

Even if advice makes sense, you'll most likely consider it rubbish anyway. No one knows you but you, right?

tehdreamer said:
Most of the time, yes. But as long as the person isn't trying to force me to take their advice, just the fact that they took the time to offer it makes me feel better. ...

I think that is it for me. The fact that they cared enough to try to be of help.

It's not that I think it's rubbish, more so it just not helping. Even if I don't follow advice to the T, it usually helps me out some. And this is why I don't like really asking for advice. It just seems like when I ask for it, it gets thrown back in my face when I don't do exactly what the person says. It's called advice, not I'm-going-to-get-pissed-off-at-you-if-you-don't-do-what-I-say.

More for ideas, to see if there is anything that hasn't already been considered that could be of aid when played against all the other countless details that haven't been mentioned because the intent wasn't to write a book on it. Running through options.

I think many people dont understand the problem but feel obliged to say something anyway, resulting in cliches. "stop" , " pull yourself together "
" get yourself a girlfreind" , ect

Latest posts

Back