Do you miss your exes?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vstained

Reaction score
Once again I'm alone... I'm 40 now and I have been through a couple of relationships. I've even been married many years ago. Being this lonely now I think about the couple of exes I have. Some of them I really miss and wish things did work out... I had some crazies and those I don't miss at all...

Do you miss your exes?

when I think of my exes (especially one), life gets a new meaning and beauty, just because of the fact that we are not together anymore. It was my fault really, for spending time with them, still, it would be nice to have at least some good memories. Maybe that is my fault also, don't know.

I'm still friends with one and while we don't ever see each other, we still talk on occasion so I don't "miss" him.
The others? Nope. Not even for a nanosecond. :p

It depends on the definition of miss. I suppose I still miss my ex-wife in many ways, but I have no desire for things to be the way they once were. I'd go for a cup of coffee with her if the situation ever arose - it won't.

as im 21 and from the relationships i had only 2 actually mattered, i gotta go with kinda. i miss them both, while it was destroying me, it was sweet and nice.i kinda miss them, all the little things they used to do or have about them etc.
oh well, they say "if you live in the past, you waste the present". keep the fun memories and move on, huh?

I don't miss my exes at all. However, I miss some of the good feelings I had with some of them. But those feelings can certainly be re-ignited with someone new. :)

I don't want to miss my ex right now, it still hurts too much. And even if more time had passed, I wouldn't miss her. What I miss most is just companionship.

Most of them are designated EX for a reason, and I ended up breathing a sigh of relief that it's over, which describes the most recent ex in particular. I do not miss a lying, irresponsible, lazy drunk. I wanted to tap-dance naked through the kitchen when he was finally gone.

There have been others whose absence left a void which has been difficult to manage.

There's one I actually miss, but not in the sense that I want him back as a boyfriend, more that I just want him back in my life, as a friend or even acquaintance. We had a huge connection and I have missed that since the day we broke up. Extenuating circumstances broke us up, it was not really what either of us wanted.

As for my most recent ex. I miss the IDEA of him, we were together for a long time. I miss who and what we USED to be. But that was a very long time ago and he's not that person anymore. It's been **** near 5 years since we split and I'm a million times better than I was the last 5 years I was with him.

There was the one who I on the odd occasion, once every couple of months I remember some things. Then I remember the crap I had to go through after we split. Now she's god knows where, last I checked she was with someone else and that pushed me over the edge. I told myself never to look at any sort of social media, blocked all emails, changed number etc...Was nearly 4 years since we split and 1 and a half years since I last spoke. As I haven't been in a relationship since then, I don't think there's a week that goes by without thinking or remembering but its just nothing now, its not pain or warmth its just indifference.

Oh and since cutting off contact I have been to 5 European countries, met so many people, shared memories, had good food, moved out of my family home. I think in some ways I am a far better person than I was then.

Something wants to say to me, there's someone out there even better than that person was who will actually stay for the long run. I sort of half believe it but of course been a long time since anyone came along.

Nope!

Well, maybe that's not strictly true....but I am working so very hard now to let go of attachment to the Spoon.

I'm proud of myself that I didn't contact him yesterday(his Birthday)....I'm getting there.

TheRealCallie said:
There's one I actually miss, but not in the sense that I want him back as a boyfriend, more that I just want him back in my life, as a friend or even acquaintance. We had a huge connection and I have missed that since the day we broke up. Extenuating circumstances broke us up, it was not really what either of us wanted.

This Callie, you hit the nail on the head about how I feel.

When enough time has passed since the end of one of my previous relationships I have been known to feel nostalgic. This feeling is not necessarily to do with the ex personally, if that makes any sense, but the good and fun times we had together.

I miss two of them and still think of them from time to time. The others I am glad to be away from.

Finally, I am going to get it out. I had been married before but found the only man I really loved--fell in love with (and I believe "being in love" is different than just "loving"--in my mid thirties. We had the friendship, the romance, the absolute awesome intimacy, and, also something important to both of us, Christianity (praying and reading the Bible together). We had it all. I don't know when it started, but not a woman, but something began to take his interest more and more away from me and on something else. Also, I believe mental illness, and him helping me all the time, I'm sure added to the fact that getting outside of everyday reality was a blessing. I don't want to conceal here what the "interest" was, but I will divulge it to anyone who is curious enough to PM me. It then came to a point that he was going away for days and nights at a time--the longest being 5. This was for a year. I always welcomed him home and was glad he was safe. He finally decided it was unfair to me and leave permanently. The changes this brought into my life were incredible. I was told by a lawyer that I would be responsible for his debts if I didn't divorce him. So, I reluctantly did, but kept his name, because to me, it made me feel close to him. We began talking on the phone after a while, and there was light discussions of getting back together. He didn't call for a while, and I got a voicemail message from his son one day. When I spoke to him, I almost fell over. He died of a heart attack. Now, almost 15 years later, I find myself living in the suburbs when I was in the city. My sister took me in because I couldn't afford my own place on disability. All together I dated 22 men--most of them only once--and found that my initial reaction of not wanting to be with anyone else but him--was dead on right. The dating world today is to me A JOKE. Most of the time, a man shouldn't ask, would you like to go here or there. THE MAJORITY OF MEN SHOULD HAVE NOT ASKED ME OUT--THEY SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME IF I WANTED TO HAVE SEX AND CUT TO THE CHASE! At 57, I am alone, miserable, and I find, especially being disabled, that I am just waiting for God to take me Home.

DO I MISS MY EX? Yes, I do--and I miss the life I had also!

Latest posts

Back