Do you want a romantic relationship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really want one but of don't. Afraid I may end up hurt, or may hurt my partner.

I want to feel love though and be able to give it back.

Last time I pursued someone it didn't go well at all and I'm sticking to waiting for the right person.

I've had pursuits go wrong but if you are a guy. Waiting for the right person never works. I'm kind of actively seeking just partnerships if it leads to anything more then great. I'm putting myself out there when I can.

Hate the fact that with nearly everyone on these dating sites, they don't seem to want to take time to get to know someone. So, I'm trying to get to know people more organically. Next year I don't really intend on being in this country. So, not having a girlfriend till I'm 30 is a real possibility. Sounds so strange!

It's sad seeing a trend where people are afraid to get into relationships because of the fear of hurt.

Yes. I want a romantic relationship. Of course, like most people it seems, I fear getting hurt and it all going wrong. But that's the nature of relationships. I want .. long for .. a good relationship. An honest one (as opposed to being bullshitted about being liked/loved). Actually, I long for a relationship where I know where I stand. If it's romantic, well, that's great. If it's for companionship, or even a 'friends with benefits' type thing, well, as long as I know, that's OK too. While sometimes I like to be alone, and to do things alone, most of the time I actually want to share doing things with someone. And physical contact is important to me too. More than what might happen with 'just' friends. Maybe that's just because there is no, and never has been, any physical affection in my life. I know ... well, I'm pretty sure ... I would be a **** good boyfriend, and lover. Just need a chance to be allowed to show that. Really show that.

matt4 said:
I've had pursuits go wrong but if you are a guy. Waiting for the right person never works. I'm kind of actively seeking just partnerships if it leads to anything more then great. I'm putting myself out there when I can.

I'm not adverse to meeting people, but at least if someone asks me out, I know they're interested, probably ready to date, and able to put themselves out there for me. Since I'm still hurting from the last attempt with someone I had liked for years, I don't want to pursue someone again only to bring insecurity into it.

It's going to take some time for me to have my optimism back.

I would love to be in a romantic relationship but I don't think there is anyone out there for me.

Shio said:
I would love to be in a romantic relationship but I don't think there is anyone out there for me.

I am sure that isn't true ! :)

Cucuboth said:
Yes. I want a romantic relationship. Of course, like most people it seems, I fear getting hurt and it all going wrong. But that's the nature of relationships. I want .. long for .. a good relationship. An honest one (as opposed to being bullshitted about being liked/loved). Actually, I long for a relationship where I know where I stand. If it's romantic, well, that's great. If it's for companionship, or even a 'friends with benefits' type thing, well, as long as I know, that's OK too. While sometimes I like to be alone, and to do things alone, most of the time I actually want to share doing things with someone. And physical contact is important to me too. More than what might happen with 'just' friends. Maybe that's just because there is no, and never has been, any physical affection in my life. I know ... well, I'm pretty sure ... I would be a **** good boyfriend, and lover. Just need a chance to be allowed to show that. Really show that.

that's the problem we don't the chance !

Triple Bogey said:
Shio said:

It is. Life isn't kind to everyone. You don't just get whatever you want because you want it, some people are going to end up alone regardless of what they do.

Shio said:
Triple Bogey said:
Shio said:

It is. Life isn't kind to everyone. You don't just get whatever you want because you want it, some people are going to end up alone regardless of what they do.

I think what I want is a woman to like me or maybe be in love with me. It's probably an ego thing. I'm not sure I want to be in a romantic relationship and everything that comes with it. It all seems to much trouble. But I do want a woman to want to be with me. To chose me and not somebody else, to see my qualities.

Triple Bogey said:
Shio said:
Triple Bogey said:
Shio said:

I think what I want is a woman to like me or maybe be in love with me. It's probably an ego thing. I'm not sure I want to be in a romantic relationship and everything that comes with it. It all seems to much trouble. But I do want a woman to want to be with me. To chose me and not somebody else, to see my qualities.

I don't think it's an ego thing. I'm pretty sure almost everyone wants to be with someone of the gender they are attracted to regardless of if they are looking for a relationship or not. I hope you find the kind of woman you're looking for. Thinking about it now... I'll be pretty content if I live the rest of my life without ever having a boyfriend as long as I have someone to provide support and comfort. The way things are going now I'll probably just end up with a cat or 2.

What kind of people does everyone tend to attract? For me, it's people who make a huge deal about wanting a relationship but don't have the time or energy to devote to cultivating one so I'm left holding the bag when they disappear, wondering what the hell happened.

Yes I would like a partner, though I don't think I'd make a very good boyfriend at this point. I'm too unhappy with myself in general, my mental health and financial situation are too unstable and I don't really have much of a life. I'd like my days to be a little more fulfilling and to possibly have a little more to contribute to conversations before I start seriously looking. These things would make me a better partner as well as make me more resilient to the rejection that goes hand in hand with dating. The happier I can be on my own the happier I can be with another person, and the easier it will be to attract someone.

That being said, a little companionship goes a long way. Even though I'm not actively seeking a partner right now I think it's something I'll always want, at least until I've experienced the real deal. Affection, support and physical contact, or the hope of those, really help keep me inspired about the direction I'm taking my life in next.

Bob Arctor said:
I'd like my days to be a little more fulfilling and to possibly have a little more to contribute to conversations before I start seriously looking. These things would make me a better partner as well as make me more resilient to the rejection that goes hand in hand with dating. The happier I can be on my own the happier I can be with another person, and the easier it will be to attract someone.

Rational statements like this are what singe people need to hear instead of the awful "you need to love yourself first" advice.

A romantic relationship would be nice - but... I hold little hope for finding a partner in the foreseeable future. I've even got a list of reasons why.

1. I've been thru the equivalent of two divorces, and they and the relationships that came after left me... Scarred. As such, I realize that I almost expect a potential partner to jump thru hoops, prove their love so to speak. And that's just dooming a relationship to fail, because no one's perfect and everyone let's you down sometime.

2. Given my gender identity, my preferences in the bedroom can be a difficult subject to approach, and finding someone who happens to have the same particular tastes is daunting, to say the least, in my neck of the woods.

3. At this point, alone=safe. I am not willing to give anyone the amount of trust required to get that close to me. Once bitten, twice shy, and all that.

4. Ehhh, I'm a mom. Kiddo comes first, and that includes not parading "new daddies" in front of him every few weeks. He deserves better than that, and so do I.

Romantic? All mine seem to start that way, then things change :( It all turns to sex only, and if I don't they get mad. I'm single now and I think I'm going to just stay that way. My last relationship turned physically abusive and I got hurt pretty bad inside :(

I don't crave romantic relationships yet. Here's the thing: I'm really hoping to find activity partners (concerts, movies, etc.) who can offer strong support when needed. An interest in physical intimacy would be a plus too :p. But anyway, romance is not a requirement to find those things. I'll be okay if I end up finding really close friends.

...but you never know. It's possible I'll change my mind and want to find "the one". I just won't be surprised if I end up enjoying singlehood (or singledom, whichever) my whole life.

Yup - I'll take one please ;).

As a shattered person - I guess deep down I don't want to relinquish the theory that 2 jagged shards can't come together and all the cracks match up. It's a romantic thought I know, but impractical and rooted in delusion. But on the other hand - a broken edge will seldom match with a smooth surface.

Romantic is a key word for me too. I'm a sucker for the old fashioned type of romance - the kind you don't see in movies any more. Not the sappy luvvie-duvvie punchline stuff that culminates in the milestone of changing one's facebook status to 'in-a-relationship' (yuck! :s). Not the cliché 'dating' stuff you see in commercials - but the stuff that proper memories are made of. Checking inhibitions at the door and experiencing the life you've always heard about but never seen. Bringing someone out of their comfort zone because they trust you enough to catch them if they falter. But alas - that kind of thing requires a better man than me ;)

I want to have someone to love and who loves me back, whom I can trust and talk and hug and all that... but I am a mess and I don't see myself as a good partner to anyone, I don't have anything to offer (except my own confusion J.K.)
So I need to stop wishing for someone to love me and I need to learn to love myself first and do something with my life and maybe then I will be ok for someone else...I think.

Nely Lo said:
I want to have someone to love and who loves me back, whom I can trust and talk and hug and all that... but I am a mess and I don't see myself as a good partner to anyone, I don't have anything to offer (except my own confusion J.K.)
So I need to stop wishing for someone to love me and I need to learn to love myself first and do something with my life and maybe then I will be ok for someone else...I think.

Have this in mind: There's a lot of horrible people out there who have absolutely nothing to offer but got validation and relationships. Not to say you shouldn't try to be better, but there isn't such thing as deserving when it comes to get reciprocation for your personal growth.

Just climbing out of the wreckage of a marriage that was doomed to failure from the start but I was so lonely at the time I held onto it. Thank god children weren't involved.

So right now I am living independently for the first time in my 34 years and oh god it feels great! I can go anywhere and do anything I like without having to worry about how anyone else so I'm not going to give this up without a fight!

That said I have never had a sexual encounter before (not a proper one anyway) so I wouldn't say no to that - certainly before I lose the desire to.

Latest posts

Back