Does anyone else agree with this....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diane85

Reaction score
I have been struggling with loneliness for most of my life. I'm really shy and have a hard time making friends. I will admit that I'm partially at fault for my own lonenliness, but to a certain extent I think many of my relatives are responsible as well. They leave me out of a lot of things and yes maybe I should ask to be included. But sometimes I feel they never think about my feelings or that I'm hurting. Does anyone else agree?

diane85 said:
I have been struggling with loneliness for most of my life. I'm really shy and have a hard time making friends. I will admit that I'm partially at fault for my own lonenliness, but to a certain extent I think many of my relatives are responsible as well. They leave me out of a lot of things and yes maybe I should ask to be included. But sometimes I feel they never think about my feelings or that I'm hurting. Does anyone else agree?

My Dad is quiet and shy, my Mam is outgoing. I take after my Dad. I live with my Dad and he goes nowhere, doesn't have any friends and never encourages me to do anything. In fact he spends all his time trying to find fault in any plans I have. It's like he wants me to live my life watching a tv set doing fresia all !

diane85 said:

Ive felt like that before, but it depends on the family, some families are very supportive, some arent. Its not to say they are bad or wrong in anyway, it could just be how they were raised.

MrE1986 said:
diane85 said:

Ive felt like that before, but it depends on the family, some families are very supportive, some arent. Its not to say they are bad or wrong in anyway, it could just be how they were raised.

The thing with my relatives is that most of them include each other in events like going to concerts, movies, or family dinners. They never include me.

diane85 said:
The thing with my relatives is that most of them include each other in events like going to concerts, movies, or family dinners. They never include me.

Do you have any idea why they might do that?

MrE1986 said:
diane85 said:

no and I've thought about asking, but I don't want to come off as whiny or needy.

diane85 said:
MrE1986 said:
diane85 said:

no and I've thought about asking, but I don't want to come off as whiny or needy.

ask them why

diane85 said:

I get that, but they might not think to include you if they dont think it will interest you

MrE1986 said:
diane85 said:

I get that, but they might not think to include you if they dont think it will interest you

They do know that we have mutual interests.

First off.. I'm sorry you have to be the victim of such... neglect.

In my family (and extended), most of our relationship are good. Just to give an example though... my sister is quite the judgmental one. She isn't all the time, but when she judges it's pretty harsh. So because of that the rest of the family could easily not include her in activities that involve people outside of the family, but we don't. Now that doesn't mean I am ashamed of her. I am not saying that your family are ashamed of you. I am also not saying that there is something wrong with you. I am just saying that perhaps there is something more than just leaving you out for no reason.

I do agree that you talk to some family members, maybe indirectly? (other cousins, aunts, or uncles) It won't be easy but it has to be done if you want something to change =/

It's horrible when you feel like you're an outsider. Sorry to hear that you're going through that.

Inside of my family my step father pretty much watches TV all day long, yet he gets on me that I spend time in my room all day long but yet he sits in front of the TV all day long. It makes no sense to me. My mother does everything around the house and he never offers to help: whenever I see my mother struggling my brother and I will help without her even asking us. Anytime I know she's working and she's coming home late I remember to clean everything in the sink before she comes home from work. Who wants to wash dishes when they come home from a long day at work. It annoys me how my step father continues to sit in front of the TV and doesn't even bother to clean up after himself. He expects everyone else to do it.... he's so lazy....That's how it's like inside of my family.

Perhaps find a family member you trust, get along with and can able to open up too. Hope things get better for you in the end.

MrE1986 said:
diane85 said:
They do know that we have mutual interests.

It doesn't hurt to ask :)

You don't have to ask directly why they don't ask you along. You could just join in their conversations about it and say that you'd love to do it with them sometime and see how it goes from there?

diane85 said:

I understand. And I'm sorry you feel this way. My family has, over the years, shown on many occasions that how I feel, what I think, or what I may want, is of no interest to them. If anything, how I feel about anything is an annoyance to them .... I am an annoyance. To them. And everywhere, I guess .... But yeah. I'm sorry you have to experience the same sort of thing.

Latest posts

Back