Does Anyone Keep a Diary, Blog or Personal Journal?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Ever since I was 10, I have kept some sort of personal journal, whether it is an actual diary with a gold lock or a blog.

I do it and continue to do so because I process things best through writing. It's probably what makes me a writer.

cheaptrickfan said:
Yep. Ever since I was 10, I have kept some sort of personal journal, whether it is an actual diary with a gold lock or a blog.

I do it and continue to do so because I process things best through writing. It's probably what makes me a writer.

How do you keep all your journals organized if they are in different formats and spread out all over the place?

Whoever said I was organized? lol

In the future, when I am all famous and honeysuckle (totally joking), my archivist is going to have a ***** of a time getting everything together. :p

cheaptrickfan said:
Whoever said I was organized? lol

In the future, when I am all famous and honeysuckle (totally joking), my archivist is going to have a ***** of a time getting everything together. :p

No it's just that, my diaries are in different formats. Longhand. Blog. Diary website. 5th grade composition journal. 3 ring binder.

And I"m wondering if it's even worth it to organize them all.

SO. MUCH. WORK. For what?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a waste of time.

Chaos Reigns! Eris agrees with me.

I do have blog(s), as for my personal diary, they were almost always angry words, I don't write diaries when I don't have anything to rant/vent about, I really don't know what to write if I'm to consistently write something everyday, so I don't really keep up with that, I delete them mostly.

As for my blog, I chose the option to not have it advertised on search engine or something, so only a few internet friends of mine know of it (they don't really read it), again other than doodlings, they're mostly just rants, I'm a bit more consistent with the blog and update it every once in a while, I did it because I wanted to keep track of all the stuff I draw and say, I thought I could make some "progress" that way, since I don't like to keep my things organized, and my harddrives crashes a lot. Like my diary, I don't expect anyone to read them, but it's something I update so my friends know what I've been up to.

I have a tumbler mainly for art, it's the same stuff from the other blog but only for my art buddies, I have stopped updating it for a while since I've stopped drawing, it's a bit less personal and more public friendly I suppose.

Ive been keeping journals since i was 11 years old... i have always hand written them.... i find it relaxing. I have always put the full date and time of writing at the top of the page...

I did eventually organize them all.. but it was easy, seeing as tho i had all the dates on everything. I usually write in note books... so when i fill it up... i just move onto the next one.

I love to read through my old journals.. to see how far i have come, or to see if there is something i am stuck on...

dramaqueen said:
I write in my dairy 2 times a year, does that count? :D

Maybe. :p

All In The Mind said:
I have a pretty active thought process so that's enough for me.

Too much stuff in your head huh. Sometimes I have too much stuff in mine too.

discolemonade said:
Mine's getting there xD

I get the feeling that once it's done you'll be eating a lot of yummy treats. :)

I started writing to my self about 11 years ago. I did because my therapist at the time suggested it. And I kept doing it till now. I have a bunch, all of them hand-written most are only half way done though. I like to browse through them and remember what my thoughts were at certain points of my life. Some make me sad others make me happy.

lomojojo said:
I started writing to my self about 11 years ago. I did because my therapist at the time suggested it. And I kept doing it till now. I have a bunch, all of them hand-written most are only half way done though. I like to browse through them and remember what my thoughts were at certain points of my life. Some make me sad others make me happy.

What was the reasoning behind the therapist reccomending this to you? I'm curious.

At the time I had many issues with people who were no longer around (RIP) and through my writing I'd be able to express my feelings.

I've kept a diary since 2003. I started out writing them into documents on my computer, then quickly went to writing them in spiral notebooks, and then went back to writing them into my computer. And when I say they are on my computer, I mean they are on MY computer. I don't put them on the internet, I don't put them in a blog, no sharing of them at all. They are for me, myself and I. Writing them for all these years has truly helped me to see my weaknesses, strengths, and to better understand what I should do with my life. Re-reading them brings me a sense of comfort. And of course, brings back so many memories. I can see how I have progressed and I know that writing my diaries has given me direction when I could find it in no one and nothing else outside of me.

Yep...

I started on July 21st, 1977, when I converted from one Faith to another. It's now between 7 and 8 MILLIONS of words. It took me 9 years to type up and I wore out two keyboards doing it, partly because I was still frantically penning it all the time I was typing it out.

It's now buried beneath layer after layer of encryption. I've timed the opening of it...2 hours and 8 minutes. I recommend, to everybody, keeping a diary. It can be a really unexpectedly helpful friend to have around.

Great subject to choose.

Ian.

Latest posts

Back