Does anyone on this forum give a ****...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've toned down my public posts considerably in the past two years or so. They used to be genuine contributions to society and not just forum posts. But they would get ZERO replies because everyone would think "Ah! What a great idea for how to make money!" and their lawyers would tell them never to leave any trace of proof that they had even read the post for liability reasons. I caught on to what was happening and stopped making those kinds of posts.

it's actually better that some voices never get heard than that people get used like pieces of toilet paper. But, again, that no longer happens to me because I make sure that it doesn't.

Gosh mickey, I've really missed out on something here! Making money off your contributions to society? Lawyers and liabilities eh? You sound like a significant guy with some profound value to the world. Getting used like toilet paper are you? Got a bit of anger do you? Well you may be too good for a lonely life forum......why would a guy like that care what this forum gives a **** about?

Actually Mickey this here Vancoverite has read all your posts. I pretty much read everything people post. I respond very little mostly because someone has either already posted what I had to say or I have nothing I feel confident in replying with. It's never personal and I to have had the "None is replying to my thread feeling" to which I felt daft after I bitched about it. People here on ALL are wonderful and genuinely care what you have to say. Bright Blessings ^.^

[quote='mickey' pid='694654' dateline='142349056

I've toned down my public posts considerably in the past two years or so. They used to be genuine contributions to society and not just forum posts. But they would get ZERO replies because everyone would think "Ah! What a great idea for how to make money!" and their lawyers would tell them never to leave any trace of proof that they had even read the post for liability reasons. I caught on to what was happening and stopped making those kinds of posts.

tl;dr it's actually better that some voices never get heard than that people get used like pieces of toilet paper. But, again, that no longer happens to me because I make sure that it doesn't.
[/q

mickey you sound like a guy with a lot of significant value to the world who's not receiving his proper appreciation. Perhaps you're too good for a lonely peoples' forum? Would a guy like you really give a **** about what a bunch of lonely lifers give a **** about?

Some people care very much but are also too skitish and shy and just too ******* depressed to participate in things.

just caught up with this thread, haven't been reading much of the forum in the last months because of my messy life, but I wanted to comment on the vocabulary, as some mentioned it: I really appreciate your vocabulary, and you always write in a very clear and informed fashion, and not many people do it, if that doesn't bring one to the top of the popularity context, bleargh, it doesn't matter, and I hope that some of your vocabulary rubs off on everyone :)

The isolated are MY people because I am isolated. I'm not necessarily lonely, but my community is those who have no one. That's why this is the perfect place for me. So, no, I'm not "too good" for anyone here.

The problem seems to be that this community is populated by people who have interests far different from mine. I make a habit of scanning the New Posts listings almost every time I log on and 90% of the posts are either in Games or in some 5,000-post thread in which people just make personal statements and few make responses to what someone else has posted in that thread. The Games posts I can understand because we are the kind of people who most need frivolity and fun in our lives, but it's ironic that so little actual conversation goes on in this forum. Perhaps it's just the way things are in the 21st century, since today's experts are preaching that two-way communication is impossible and empty "self-expression" without an audience is the way to go. After all, we are people of the 21st century simply because we live in it.

mickey said:
The problem seems to be that this community is populated by people who have interests far different from mine. I make a habit of scanning the New Posts listings almost every time I log on and 90% of the posts are either in Games or in some 5,000-post thread in which people just make personal statements and few make responses to what someone else has posted in that thread. The Games posts I can understand because we are the kind of people who most need frivolity and fun in our lives, but it's ironic that so little actual conversation goes on in this forum. Perhaps it's just the way things are in the 21st century, since today's experts are preaching that two-way communication is impossible and empty "self-expression" without an audience is the way to go. After all, we are people of the 21st century simply because we live in it.

That's not always true. The forum goes through different phases each time.. sometimes it's very active, sometimes it isn't. Just like life, it has its ups and downs. You take what you can get and there's always something to get out of any situation.

There are people who do not post as much on the forum but have made some good few friendships from here from my own knowledge. The actual conversations don't have to just take place on the public forum, where some people feel uncomfortable with posting, actual conversations tend to and usually occur behind the scenes... the PMs.

ladyforsaken said:
mickey said:

That's not always true. The forum goes through different phases each time.. sometimes it's very active, sometimes it isn't. Just like life, it has its ups and downs. You take what you can get and there's always something to get out of any situation.

There are people who do not post as much on the forum but have made some good few friendships from here from my own knowledge. The actual conversations don't have to just take place on the public forum, where some people feel uncomfortable with posting, actual conversations tend to and usually occur behind the scenes... the PMs.

What she said.
Most of the topics aren't really a conversation place, as people are asking for help or wanting advice. Personal conversations would derail a thread, making it harder to read and stray from what the OP is really looking for. But, if you look for them, they are out there.

If you want conversations, either go to PM like LF said, or come into chat where there is no specified topic and you can talk about whatever you want.

ladyforsaken said:

You put it excellently. And in my case I could never impress people with my posts, so that they would want to know me better. So I never made any friends here through forum interactions alone.

Personally had more luck in the chat room.

Well, I tried the chatroom but people started giving me the "anyone can find and keep a job if they really want to, and those who don't have jobs are those who just don't want to work" nonsense, so I left the chatroom. I also tried the Skype group but it "violated the privacy" of a member to permit me to join a Skype voice call, so I left that group as well. As for PMs, I've both responded to PMs and PMed people but there has never been sustained conversation for some reason. After about one or two exchanges the person just doesn't respond to my latest PM and I never hear from them again.

Hey micky, I'm wondering what you might want to talk about. I've seen your posts and they are interesting. I talked to you in chat and I thought you were cool. You were practically the first person I talked to.

mickey said:
Well, I tried the chatroom but people started giving me the "anyone can find and keep a job if they really want to, and those who don't have jobs are those who just don't want to work" nonsense, so I left the chatroom.

You know, that is partly true. But it depends on what kind of job you want. It is much easier to get a job in a fast-food place or in retail. Walk around any mall and you will see that some store is hiring. But those jobs are high-turnover jobs. You'll probably get in but you won't want to stay long.

Getting a decent job with nice benefits is harder and that's a different story.

mickey said:
"anyone can find and keep a job if they really want to, and those who don't have jobs are those who just don't want to work"

I'm sorry, but no one said this. We were trying to tell you that there are more options out there than you are likely looking at. Giving you options, since you were clearly not happy with the situation you are in.
NO ONE said you don't want to work and no one said anything about KEEPING a job after you find one.
Take what you like and leave the rest, but before you take, make sure you read it properly and not add on to it to make it sound worse than it was.

Didn't see this before but discussing what goes on in chat isn't really allowed Mickey, which is a good thing, it falls under the same category as personal PM's.

As for the topic since I'm here, I agree with LadyF, the forum goes through its phases and so do the people. Many people are here because they are lonely or have personal issues they need a place to come and talk to like minded people. It's not a support forum but a supportive forum. Most of us are in the same boat and you are dealing with those kinds of personalities here. Lot's of people probably give a ****, they just don't know what to say or how to say it.

I didn't mean to violate any forum rules, so I apologize. Thank you for not disciplining me.

Also, I told you before Aisha's settings were like that - it was nothing personal. They've been like that since last year.

Latest posts

Back