Does it feel like you're cursed?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groucho

Reaction score
That no matter what you try or how straight forward something seems, everything always go wrong for you?

Like a series of events conspired against you?

Or something so implausibly unlucky it seemed to defy the odds?

And if so, what examples do you have of it?

Lol I honestly do sometimes man. The timing sometimes is just unreal. It really does seem that the entire universe is against me somehow.

Here's what I think though. There's no curse behind any of this. Its just your mind. You're paying so much attention into these "unlucky" odd defying scenarios that you think you have some kind of curse on you.

I don't know how to say it but that's how i feel lol.

Sometimes it does get like that, life throws you one issue after another.

I see it as a series of tests to see how strong and resilient you are and how you find solutions to these problems. Sometimes it seems a bit cruel though.. like losing loved ones one after another (just an example cos I've heard some people go through this). But if you don't let it drown you, you'll come out as a stronger person more than you ever thought you could be.

My life is like whitewater rafting- unpredictable, full of risk, and no clue what's around the bend.

ladyforsaken said:

I see it as a series of tests to see how strong and resilient you are and how you find solutions to these problems. Sometimes it seems a bit cruel though.. like losing loved ones one after another (just an example cos I've heard some people go through this). But if you don't let it drown you, you'll come out as a stronger person more than you ever thought you could be.

Better said than me. If you succumb to all these "tests" as forsaken calls it then it will feel like you are under some curse or everything is against you. I believe, that if you learn to just brush these things away and move on, it won't feel like you're under a curse, since you're not taking notice to any of those mishaps.

^Well yeah but I won't say one should brush their pain or issues away. It's okay to indulge in some sadness and let it out I guess, but just not let it take over. It's easier said than done though.. I've been in such situations and it takes great strength and discipline to be able to do this. But it will be all worth it.

I think everyone can believe this from time to time. There are times when I think I'm incredibly lucky too :D

ladyforsaken said:

I used to be particularly skeptical of things such as luck. But I actually used my own bad luck to predict the economic recession and it's impact on student loans.

I surmised that, given the universe was bent on screwing me over that midway through university, the economy would collapse and I'd be forced out due to increased fees or loan retractions. I even asked the loan lady at the time 'what would happen to my loan if the government were to change?' - she never anticipated the response and couldn't answer. 2008, the year I started, was the year of the economic recession. Indeed, tuition fees did go up, (from ~1,000 pounds to ~3,000), and in 2010 the government changed, as did the loan ownership (and tuition fees jumped to 9,000) which was transferred from government ownership and sold off to private companies. It didn't force me out, but if they had increased to 9,000 during my time there I'd have had to quit.

I was out by ONE year but the rest of the events had occurred as predicted, based solely on my bad luck. Another thing I predicted? My degree failure. Sans a shock why take a course if you anticipate failure - well, is it truly failure if it's set in stone and not based on my actual performance? First two year passed with flying colours (I lent assistance to others, at least three people, in passing various pieces of coursework). And the third year I just failed. Crash and burn. Apparently my functional code has no documentation and because the documentation proving my already functional program worked did not exist it could not be marked. Another module just simply had us swim in the deep-end with no explanation (one wonders why one pays a 'tuition' fee if one does not receive tuition).

Alas, all predictions came out correct. Best part was I sent myself the predictions in a time-capsuled email and it was weird (it even stated I would try to 'hide' the email out of sight which I was already doing when I read that prediction. The room was empty.).

How can I say bad luck doesn't exist when even I can predict what it will do next? You can't say I was responsible for the economic recession, nor the poor modules in the third year (you could argue performance but really if I can help three other people pass in previous years then something's wrong).

Yes, I feel this way inside a lot of the time. Losing my family, major illnesses, having to move as part of my street was getting knocked down, no support network-I often feel life is a punishment rather than a gift.

Latest posts

Back