Emotional Intelligence/Empathy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

licorice

Reaction score
How important do you think these things (Emotional Intelligence and Empathy) really are to social relationships? What's yours like, and do you think it has an impact?

Plain and simply, I think they are the things that today's technology and consumption-oriented lifestyle has taken from humans and their absence is obvious in that we don't communicate like we used to. What with the texting-instead-of-meeting-in-person way of communication and the self-absorption modern humans have developed, it is difficult to not only care for another person as much as we should, but we actually say things that hurt others, only because we don't take their feelings into consideration. So yes, I do think that empathy is very important to social relationships, but it unfortunately fades into the background to make space for plastic relationships and fake connections.

in my opinion, emotional intelligence and empathy together allows a person to 'step into' another persons shoes and 'understand' what they are feeling. in your topic, a social connection. (also available as emotional connection and romantic connection)

without either (EI or empathy), you wont make any kind of [positive] relationship with anyone. youll just end up being the person that 'doesnt understand' and is ignored.

short answer: yes, it is important to have both.

I don't think either are necessary. If someone wants them then they're important, but not to have good relationships. I think people usually use terms like that to justify their own selfish or irresponsible behaviour. If you care, are open, honest and try to communicate that's enough to work. I'm incapable of empathy, it took decades to figure out what that was, and have to call long distance to find out how I feel, but have managed to raise 5 children on my own and they're as happy as pigs in the proverbial.

Because of my Asperger's syndrome I don't think I have any emotional intelligence or the ability to empathise; it makes me lonely, but very well at coping with being lonely.

Feeling and showing empathy is more of a choice, I don't seem how it requires particularly high perception.

Empathy certainly plays extremely important part in my life. I noticed that despite similar hobbies and interests I rarely find much in common with people who don't empathise. It's a bit like we live in different (maybe opposite) worlds. Rdor said that showing feeling and empathy was a matter of choice, but I'm unsure about it. You empathise (whether you show it or not) or not. Faking empathy seems very easy to distill from one's word or behaviour.

Latest posts

Back