Emotional or Mental Breakdown (Craziness)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilith

Reaction score
What happens when you have a breakdown? What causes it? How do you think it can be fixed?

Lilith said:
What happens when you have a breakdown? What causes it? How do you think it can be fixed?

Depends on the type of person, and the type of breakdown.
Are these effecting you personally?

As to what causes it, that also depends on the type of person and breakdown.
I tend to attribute things like that to emotional stress and trauma. When people I know have breakdowns, it tends to be because they feel overwhelmed, or they're overly stressed about something.
I think it's just the body attempting to vent built up emotions... Though I have no sort of doctorate so I can't speak on the matter.

How to fix it? Depends on what the problem is.
The only way to fix something is to find out what's causing it to be broken in the first place. Only then can you look at solutions on how to make things better.

I've had many breakdowns.

I don't know how to fix them. they've been caused by outside stressors out of my control.

I've come very close to having breakdowns, both emotional and mental. I've probably even had both.

My mental breakdowns were caused by stress and anxiety regarding my studies (exams mostly and the fear of failure) and my emotional breakdowns are usually caused by (you'd know this if you have been reading my posts) seeing others my age having a good time when I don't.

As far as what stops me from having a breakdown: when I'm on the edge about my exams, I think about how unimportant it is in the bigger picture. I console myself that I'm just worrying for nothing (I score well but I just worry). If that doesn't work, I start thinking about something else.

As far as the emotional breakdowns go, they sort of start to happen in public places. I just think to myself that I'd attract unwanted attention or that people will think that I'm crazy if I had a breakdown. So I rush home and I take a long nap. The day turns out crappy and I keep thinking about it but it sort of stalls the breakdown at least.

I've gone off the rails a few times in my life. It's usually caused by intensely painful relationship troubles, which triggers my depression, ocd, negative thoughts, suicidal tendancies, heavy drinking and medication abuse, self harm. It's really dangerous for me to be depressed, when it's really bad I can hallucinate, get paranoid, think some really obscure things and feel so unreal. This has often ended up in me hitting rock bottom time and time again, ending up in the psychiatric ward with stitches in my arms.

There's not a lot I can do to prevent it, once the ball is rolling, besides never falling in love again... But it can still happen. Love isn't the cause of mental illness, but a broken heart can sure amplify it and make it much more unbearable. So I go through it all, get back into therapy, and try again.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I've had many breakdowns.

I don't know how to fix them. they've been caused by outside stressors out of my control.

The situations might be out of your control, the effect they have on you are not. It might take alot of energy, but with practise, you can be resistant to such stress bombardments.

Latest posts

Back