Getting away. Disappearing forever. Starting over. How? Ideas?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Replicated Man

Reaction score
In this thread, I'm looking for ideas for a backup plan. I've resolved that, if in a decade I totally hate my life, rather than kill myself I will move away to the most secluded place I can possibly get away to. I will live simply and frugally. I will completely check out from the modern world.

You've seen documentaries of people who still live on islands? That's what I'm talking about. Wouldn't need much money, would have more control over my social interaction. Loads of time to read and write. That's almost all of my stress and anxiety gone and I think it might come to a point where completely starting over and a switch to that sort of lifestyle will save my life.

Maybe get to the pacific islands. Or the hills/deserts of California.

Any more ideas or experiences with running away? Anyone here living or tried living as a completely new person in a totally different world?

Only in the amount of labor necessary would it be difficult to achieve that. Actually getting away and living hermetic would be fairly simple and inexpensive if you have low enough housing standards (trailer home in the middle of nowhere). Grow and kill your own food, live without electricity, and you could get by with little income. Sounds not so much fun to me though. I need my supermarkets and creature comforts.

I can only suggest buddhist communities, a couple monasteries in Nepal, or France. To live simply and hermit-like, I d like India probably, Goa is too touristic but somewhere nearby. California also sounds cool, smaller insects too.
If you want to travel the world cheap and you have your health, you can always volunteer somewhere
http://www.idealist.org/
that is cheap but not secluded

cheap flights: travelzoo.com
personally I always arranged accommodation for the first period, and then the only thing is just do it

PS Australia! nice beaches too

Hermetic was the word....

Yes. I doubt it'd be appealing to most and it might not even be a permanent thing for me. But it's got this almost fantastical appeal to me. No worries.

I do have a fantasy of sorts to build a living space in a mountain range and connect them with bridges, but that's nigh impossible. We're talking engineering that is off the charts.

The Replicated Man said:
Hermetic was the word....

Yes. I doubt it'd be appealing to most and it might not even be a permanent thing for me. But it's got this almost fantastical appeal to me. No worries.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but there would still be worries, though different ones. If you were in a very isolated place, what would happen if you became ill and needed emergency treatment? Have you got experience in building a place to live (assuming you don't take a trailer) and in growing your own food? I have to admit that I often fantasize about leaving the world behind as well, but at my age doubt that I will ever do it.

I have no doubt that living away from goons with guns, psychopaths, a million motorized caskets and polluted air would only increase the chances of me not falling ill though. Whenever death comes, it would probably be as natural as possible and I'd be just alright with that.

I can make my own food and build a simple shelter but I'm not talking about completely moving away from all civilization. Just something stripped down and simpler. More beautiful. But even the Mayans had markets so I'm not too worried about stuff like that.

The Replicated Man said:
I have no doubt that living away from goons with guns, psychopaths, a million motorized caskets and polluted air would only increase the chances of me not falling ill though. Whenever death comes, it would probably be as natural as possible and I'd be just alright with that.

When I die I want my remains to be used as nutrition by a variety of creatures, instead of being soaked in formaldehyde or charred into ashes. I don't think that's an easy option nowadays though.

One thing which immediately springs to mind is that such a life... requires you to become self-sustaining. This is not easy. Our bodies have evolved beyond the ideal state we used to be in to accomplish this.

So one thing springs to mind which you'd have to seriously consider... which is that this lifestyle you're choosing is a significant passion for you. Gardening, hunting, cooking, building, engineering.... pretty much all survivalist techniques... all of this needs to be a significant passion in your life. Is this already the case? If not (as I suspect since you've come on here to ask for thoughts/suggestions/advice on how to go about this) then you need to start going camping, making your own shelter, only eating what you can catch plus some fresh veg you take with you. Once you've done this... then you'll have a much better idea of what you're in for.

I actually know a person who moved her family to a remote section of the Pacific Northwest. She makes most of her family's clothes. She farms most of her own food and has livestock for meat. All the food is homemade. She makes her own soap and candles and all that. It's VERY time consuming, but she finds it very rewarding and she and her family are happy with their lives.
I think it's definitely worth it, IF you think you can handle doing all the tasks required of living in a remote setting like that.

I can't imagine doing all that work to isolate myself. I can isolate here. I don't thing running away is the solution to one's problems. I think going to therapy or figuring out on one's own what is lacking in this life is the only way to figure out what needs to be changed. It may be you--not you location.

Nah, don't see how staying in the city would help at all. The point is that: secluded and away from society, many of my desires would fade seeing as how deep down I know who I am, I know that my 'wants' have nothing to do with me and everything to do with what society expects of me and how they define "a full/enjoyable life".

Away from that, I will define the joys of life for myself.

The Replicated Man said:
Nah, don't see how staying in the city would help at all. The point is that: secluded and away from society, many of my desires would fade seeing as how deep down I know who I am, I know that my 'wants' have nothing to do with me and everything to do with what society expects of me and how they define "a full/enjoyable life".

Away from that, I will define the joys of life for myself.

That does sound wonderful. If I could afford such I would dive in.

Just for what you think is best for you. I've always wanted to escape society and live like a hermit but I honestly never knew where to start. Another part of me is afraid though and I'm not good at hunting if I was living on my own or alone on an island. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in anything you decide to do. =)

Get some basic gold prospecting materials and either get some camping gear, get an R.V., or live out of a truck/van. Join the GPAA which lets you dry camp on their gold mining claims. There are hundreds of claims all over the United States. Sign up for food stamps. Sell as little of the gold you find as possible and use food stamps to pay for food and clean water. You only have to leave the claim once every two weeks or so for supplies or to move to another claim. It won't be the most grand life but it will be away from everything.

No rent, no paying for food, no paying utilities. The only costs will be your GPAA membership, tools, and keeping your vehicle insured and running.

Here's a guy supporting himself just on his prospecting skills. 2:10 for the moneyshot.
[video=youtube]

You know I kind of feel like that now? I feel like I haven't lived fully in the last 10 years? When you feel like you're not who you're supposed to be, it's depressing. You have this growing urge for a reset. A do-over. You feel trapped, and have this desire to move far away from everyone and everything you've ever known.

But in the end, no matter where you go, you will bring yourself with you. If in 10 years you hate yourself, and in many ways I do, the only thing you can do is work on not hating yourself. No matter if you're in a cave in the African jungle, or the concrete jungle of NYC, you will still hate yourself. Only person who can bring you inner peace is yourself.

I suggest you read Thoreaus Walden. Don't just read it, ponder it, you may find insight there.

b3un.jpg

eo35.jpg

Latest posts

Back