Getting away. Disappearing forever. Starting over. How? Ideas?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always thought if I won the Euro millions I would quit my job and buy a house near a golf course and live there. Somewhere near the coast. I wouldn't tell anybody but my family.
To be fair, I think a few people from work would miss me.

I have a similar dream. Somewhere remote. A simple job, possibly something close to self sufficient agrarian..

But then the other part of my brain kicks in and tells me to deal with my problems..

Few years back, I went on a vacation in a little town called, "Belfast" in Maine... Small little town, nice people... Everywhere I went to, people pretty much left me alone... It's not a "jungle" or deserted island but it's a start... I loved it...

lostatsea said:
But in the end, no matter where you go, you will bring yourself with you. If in 10 years you hate yourself, and in many ways I do, the only thing you can do is work on not hating yourself. No matter if you're in a cave in the African jungle, or the concrete jungle of NYC, you will still hate yourself. Only person who can bring you inner peace is yourself.

^

But maybe it's worth it. Like you say, it doesn't have to be forever. Maybe you need a year away from it all to learn where next to go in life.

I've also thought of just getting away and living a simple life -- maybe in Alaska? Any place with a low population usually is cheaper to live in, especially compared to cities. You could find a place far enough from town to be alone while still having a place for supplies or medical care, etc.

I like your thinking. I've looked into some of the stuff that would go towards that goal. In case you might find any of this handy and want to google it...tiny homes, living off the grid, square foot gardening and aquaponics to name a few. A good site like Instructables also has handy DIY stuff that might help, too.

The Replicated Man said:
In this thread, I'm looking for ideas for a backup plan. I've resolved that, if in a decade I totally hate my life, rather than kill myself I will move away to the most secluded place I can possibly get away to. I will live simply and frugally. I will completely check out from the modern world.

You've seen documentaries of people who still live on islands? That's what I'm talking about. Wouldn't need much money, would have more control over my social interaction. Loads of time to read and write. That's almost all of my stress and anxiety gone and I think it might come to a point where completely starting over and a switch to that sort of lifestyle will save my life.

Maybe get to the pacific islands. Or the hills/deserts of California.

Any more ideas or experiences with running away? Anyone here living or tried living as a completely new person in a totally different world?

move to New Mexico! not an island but you can live a very secluded quiet life.

Latest posts

Back