Girls and books: like? No like?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Question for the guys:
as someone who many times saw a guy disappear after he saw my 5 meters x 3 bookshelves, (and no, they are pretty normal books, no sodomy etc :D) are an overabundance of books a turnoff for you, even if a person is not overall bookish?

Only last month this guy told me to my face : "you know too much" and the following day proceeded to demonstrate me how he didn't want to see me anymore, and that happened several times in the last years too, and no amount of miniskirts stopped it from happening. (btw, I think that guy is a total loser)

It's not that I am going to throw away books or anything but I'd like to know how that influences my current situation of no guys.

I find the most arousing quality in a woman to be her wit. I fancy social intelligence, aka street-smart, but have an almost equal appreciation for books smarts.

The more books and knowledge, the better I say, as long as the bookworm isn't solely living her life thru their stories.

Chicks that read and have smarts are hot....I personally can't be with someone who doesn't engage their brain power.

Yeh, I am a girl and I am responding. I am smart and funny and I don't find that most guys like that. IF you are a guy and you do like that... god bless.. but I am with you on it not being something that I find guys seem to like.

If she uses reading as a means to avoid social interaction because she considers most people boring and not worth the effort, then emphatically yes. (but then that goes for men as well)

Otherwise no.

LonelySutton said:
Yeh, I am a girl and I am responding. I am smart and funny and I don't find that most guys like that. IF you are a guy and you do like that... god bless.. but I am with you on it not being something that I find guys seem to like.

+1

Peaches said:
LonelySutton said:

+1

+2

My experience with teenage boys and young guys is that quite a large number of them are looking for a girl who will rely on them and make them feel important by the means of being less smart (but not too dumb) and laughing at their jokes.

So if you can tell your own jokes and have your stuff and doesn't really need them for anything other than companionship they abandon the boat pretty quick.

but that's not true, so many guys who know great jokes! And what if you need their manly strength etc?
I see your point though

The problem isn't the books. What sort of criteria do you use to pick your guys? That is most likely your root issue. Guys who are insecure or womanizers aren't going to feel confident when faced with an intelligent woman.

If you use physical attraction as a primary criteria, you will always end up with people whos primary focus is their appearance. That's fine if your just out to swap fluids, but if you are looking for something substantial I'd focus on the standards you are really using (not what you say you do).

WildernessWildChild said:
Chicks that read and have smarts are hot....I personally can't be with someone who doesn't engage their brain power.

My thoughts exactly, WWC. I think most guys that aren't impressed with women who read a lot are covering up the fact that they are afraid of being around a smart woman. Believe me, I've been around narrow minded guys who have admitted that in the past.

Another reason that comes to mind is because of what we associate with reading - quiet, shy, introverted. The stereotype can hinder people who don't have an open-mind, which is quite a lot of us male critters.

I do have a bit of a librarian fantasy that's as of yet unfulfilled....

Wouldn't matter to me how many books someone has. It is how you use the knowledge you learn or what you read. If you go around correcting people all the time or putting someone down for their lack of knowledge on a subject, or try to get me to read more, or start telling me what to read, that is a turn off.

barky said:
Another reason that comes to mind is because of what we associate with reading - quiet, shy, introverted.

..possibly also elitist, snobby etc. But maybe that says more about me.

I think you're just finding the wrong guys, I guess. For me, if a girl DIDN'T read, that would be trouble. I like a girl who reads, she will probably have lots to talk about and maybe we could bounce ideas off each other's heads for all the things I'm looking for and maybe she is too - places to go, things to do, creative ideas for stories, and so on. I also like it a lot when a girl is smart and funny, again because it makes conversation easier, and because I don't want to be on the spot to come up with 100% of the jokes! I don't think I'm that funny of a guy, though I do have my moments here and there. Also, I want to share laughs with someone too. For what it's worth, all 3 of my major crushes were/are all big readers.

In short, I think a woman who reads is fantastic.

ardour said:
barky said:
Another reason that comes to mind is because of what we associate with reading - quiet, shy, introverted.

That makes me sad that someone would presume I was elitist and snobby because I like to read. :( That happened when I was in high school; I was hoping adults would have a little more sense.

I hate books and I hate it when women pretend to be smarter than me (even though that's impossible).

Solivagant said:
ardour said:
barky said:

That makes me sad that someone would presume I was elitist and snobby because I like to read. :( That happened when I was in high school; I was hoping adults would have a little more sense.

A boring person has no interest in history, literature and philosophy, but something doesn't seem right about reading while showing zero interest in others either. Since there's usually plenty of opportunity to read at home, on the bus etc., why make yourself continually unavailable in the brief pockets of time where conversation is possible, then complain about loneliness!? This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the OP.

It seems kind of shallow to judge someone based on the number of books they own. The men who have done that to you aren't worth knowing if that's how they're going to act.

Latest posts

Back