Girls and books: like? No like?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ That's interesting LonelySutton. I find that at my job, the colleagues i like the most are the ones who can give the most elaborate insight, and use the most brains, so to speak. I am also young, i am 21 years old, so your reasoning may apply to me. I hope i don't become a close minded ass when i get older, but i don't think i will. :) Of course, anything can happen.

Peaches said:
lol I did have main kampf at some point but it was more for the historical value :D

the last "serious" one that I got is this

http://www.bruno-latour.fr/node/4

and I have lots of books for work, some with pretty images of art and design

but I also have comics, literature, spirituality etc

I did have a great Gothic collection but it's at my mother's place atm

None of Latour's work is serious.

Peaches said:
Case said:
First of all, Peaches, take comfort in the fact that you, as a reading woman, are in the majority. More women read books than men. I know from experience as I worked at a bookstore. Most men are niche readers, usually choosing non-fiction or sports, whereas most women will buy books in almost every fiction genre available.

ehm, I think it's the non-fiction that scares them… ok, I should post a picture of some bookshelves, with a poll: do you feel uneasy in front of these books? :D

Case, I think lots of women would have you, hope that you find the right one!

Yeah, I don't think very many women like non-fic - I love it, especially interesting, suggestive titled ones like Shop-class as Soulcraft, Everything Bad Is Good For You, and The Geography of Bliss.(It's like I'm reading about geography and psychology. Though when I actually read it, it also included government, economy, and culture too :D ) Basically whenever disparate subjects are talked about (relatably) in the same book, I'll want to read it.

If I were forced to choose, I'd choose my books over a man any day. Any man who would reject a woman for her love of books isn't qualified to spend time with me!

-Teresa

murmi97 said:
Peaches said:
Case said:
First of all, Peaches, take comfort in the fact that you, as a reading woman, are in the majority. More women read books than men. I know from experience as I worked at a bookstore. Most men are niche readers, usually choosing non-fiction or sports, whereas most women will buy books in almost every fiction genre available.

ehm, I think it's the non-fiction that scares them… ok, I should post a picture of some bookshelves, with a poll: do you feel uneasy in front of these books? :D

Case, I think lots of women would have you, hope that you find the right one!

Yeah, I don't think very many women like non-fic - I love it, especially interesting, suggestive titled ones like Shop-class as Soulcraft, Everything Bad Is Good For You, and The Geography of Bliss.(It's like I'm reading about geography and psychology. Though when I actually read it, it also included government, economy, and culture too :D ) Basically whenever disparate subjects are talked about (relatably) in the same book, I'll want to read it.

I'll read anything and everything under the sun but lately I've been enjoying books less (either because as a writer I developed a lot of pet peeves or because depression kicked my ******* ass) so I read more non-fiction now.

I'm currently reading a book called The Lucifer Effect which I found to be pretty good even though I can't bring myself to trust its data.

Ymir said:
I'll read anything and everything under the sun but lately I've been enjoying books less (either because as a writer I developed a lot of pet peeves or because depression kicked my ******* ass) so I read more non-fiction now.

^ Same here. I used to read a lot of fiction, especially of the fantasy genre, but I read mostly non-fiction these days.

Rosebolt said:
^ That's interesting LonelySutton. I find that at my job, the colleagues i like the most are the ones who can give the most elaborate insight, and use the most brains, so to speak. I am also young, i am 21 years old, so your reasoning may apply to me.

I feel like younger people are thirsty for knowledge so they are excited by people who are smarter. While older people are set in their ways. I was even just watching a movie just now where the girl describes what guys are looking for and she says "smart but not smarter than the guy" so... it isn't just me.

I thought of this yesterday as I had a contractor out to give me a quote on something. He apparently spotted my book collection and made some correct assumptions about me... and suddenly, he seemed more determined than ever to put the price at the high end of my budget. Books are bad.

Ymir said:
I'm currently reading a book called The Lucifer Effect which I found to be pretty good even though I can't bring myself to trust its data.

You might be interested in a thread a posted a short while ago, a talk by the writer of The Lucifer Effect.

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=32363

LonelySutton said:
I feel like younger people are thirsty for knowledge so they are excited by people who are smarter. While older people are set in their ways. I was even just watching a movie just now where the girl describes what guys are looking for and she says "smart but not smarter than the guy" so... it isn't just me.

I thought of this yesterday as I had a contractor out to give me a quote on something. He apparently spotted my book collection and made some correct assumptions about me... and suddenly, he seemed more determined than ever to put the price at the high end of my budget. Books are bad.

Fair enough, it would make sense, that when people develop they become more stable in their being, more, uhm, sure of who they are, and confident in that being.

I personally find a girl who seems to be more intelligent than i am to be sexy, but that may very well a projection of what i'd want myself to be.

Solivagant said:
Ymir said:

^ Same here. I used to read a lot of fiction, especially of the fantasy genre, but I read mostly non-fiction these days.

I don't know, it's just like nothing seems new and interesting to me anymore. Fiction books are all same old same old... But I do enjoy reading and rarely a non-fiction book lets me down, so I'm reading more of them now.

Rosebolt said:
Ymir said:

You might be interested in a thread a posted a short while ago, a talk by the writer of The Lucifer Effect.

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=32363

I couldn't quite understand what he was saying because I still can't understand spoken English very well and I could tell the subtitles were kinda off but yes, I was interested. :D

love Cacioppo, but his book on loneliness made me want to cut my wrists :D
hey, why can't I find someone to talk about books in real life?

LonelySutton said:
Rosebolt said:
^ That's interesting LonelySutton. I find that at my job, the colleagues i like the most are the ones who can give the most elaborate insight, and use the most brains, so to speak. I am also young, i am 21 years old, so your reasoning may apply to me.

Then get another price quote from another contractor and leave a book out on your shelf in plain sight like "The Art of Negotiation". :)

-Teresa

it means that if you have the money to buy books, you can also pay more? weird, books are an inexpensive vice, especially with Amazon

PieBeNice said:
What kind of books are they? You don't have stuff like Mein Kampf or Twilight do you?

I have Mein Kampf and Twilight on the same bookshelf.

Feeeeeaaaaaar Meeeeeeeee

I know my earlier posts in here weren't serious, but really... if anyone is interested in cheap books, I'd suggest visiting:

www.betterworldbooks.com

I get a lot of my books from there -- they're usually really cheap and they support a good cause.

after all this discussion, I bought 23 books in 2 days! feels goooooooddd….

half of them from betterworldbooks, I think

Alma lost her spoon said:
I figure that if I brought a guy home & the books I have put him off it's a positive natural selection gift quite frankly!

I am utterly baffled by people who don't like books.

Why is it considered rude to try to get people interested in reading? Unless you have attention issues (like ADHD) or some sort of learning disorder (like dyslexia) there should be a certain kind of book you like, and I'd like to ignite that feeling of liking books in others. :)

PieBeNice said:
SophiaGrace said:
PieBeNice said:
What kind of books are they? You don't have stuff like Mein Kampf or Twilight do you?

I have Mein Kampf and Twilight on the same bookshelf.

Feeeeeaaaaaar Meeeeeeeee

Poor bookshelf.

Actually I lied. Mein Kampf is on an audiofile I downloaded from online for free, that came with a reader that had a cool German accent. Unfortunately both the USB and the online source I have gotten it from have dissapeared. :( Sadness.

But I swear, the same dude that read Mein Kampf also read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (book by a Jewish Psychiatrist who survived Auschwitz). This is also an excellent book btw which I reccomend.

And, Twilight...I read in high school almost half a decade before it was popular. I did have the 2nd book in the series, New Moon on my bookshelf for a while, but I donated it to the library because I didn't see much value in it but I knew someone else would probably enjoy it.

Peaches said:
after all this discussion, I bought 23 books in 2 days! feels goooooooddd….

half of them from betterworldbooks, I think

I usually can stay within my budget of 20 dollars a month on pleasure books.

You've gotten me beat.

Latest posts

Back