Hi.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisMember

Reaction score
Hi,

I made this account a couple of months ago and thought I would introduce myself. I'm a 17 year old resident of the UK.

Lets start from the beginning. I was born into a very heavily religious (Jewish) family but slowly have transitioned to atheism since about age 13. Living as an atheist in a house with 10 very religious people (yes I have 8 siblings) is incredibly shitty. I spend most of my time in my room on my computer as almost every time I get into a conversation with a family member it turns into a religious fight. I was in a (male only) religious school until age 14-15 when I dropped out due to a variety of reasons one being I didn't get on with the rabbi's. In the religious Jewish community it is frowned on to go to uni and all my peers/old school class are in a religious college learning exclusively religious studies from the morning until late night every day of the week including the weekends. I would have probably committed suicide if I hadn't convinced my parents to let me take a gap year. They would love me to attend this religious college as people in the community frown on the fact that I don't attend. I managed to find a job in the community so I have something to do all day. I have met people online who have left the community and have even met a couple of them in person. As I was saying, all my old friends are all religious nuts that spend every waking second studying religious books and so I basicly have no friends anymore. I also don't know where to start or what to do to make friends out of the community; people who don't care how religious I am, who wont try to force religious down my throat every second they have a chance. I have nothing against religion as long as you don't try and convince me of its divine truth at every possible moment.
Sorry about the wall of text.

Hey Thismember, welcome to the forum. I have loads of religious friends myself - I know how hard it can get just being the odd one out. I've come to the point where I don't quite care anymore.. and don't mind being on my own, believing my own beliefs. Hope you'll find what you're looking for here.

Hi TM, I feel for you. I was brought up in a similar way, though not Jewish but Strict Baptist. I found the transition into the 'wider' world extremely difficult and in fact have suffered in some ways all my life, from the effects of the childhood conditioning on my subconscious. I still find it uncomfortable and difficult mixing with 'normal' society. All I can say is I hope you find a way to cope better than I did :)
Good luck.
Marc

Hi, Thanks for all the welcoming posts.

workaloneuk said:
Hi TM, I feel for you. I was brought up in a similar way, though not Jewish but Strict Baptist. I found the transition into the 'wider' world extremely difficult and in fact have suffered in some ways all my life, from the effects of the childhood conditioning on my subconscious. I still find it uncomfortable and difficult mixing with 'normal' society. All I can say is I hope you find a way to cope better than I did :)
Good luck.
Marc

I like how you put that; "'normal' society". I have been trying to find people in the wider world that share similar interests e.g. I enjoy tech/computers, but coming from a childhood with very limited contact with the 'outside' world I always find it really awkward.
I find many strict religious groups tend to try and make the members socially awkward to make it harder to leave, whether they do this consciously or subconsciously, and i suppose the elitism found in many of these community's cant help.

Latest posts

Back