how to avoid spammers/scammers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayme89

Reaction score
Ok, so i joined this site just yesterday. Today i received a message from someone seemingly concerned with my well being, stating "Hi, I'm (withheld). I was just reading your post and I just wanna let you know that you're not alone. If you need someone to talk to, i'm here most of the time and you're likely to catch me online whenever you're here. Please don't hesitate to talk to me. We all need friends and i'm offering to be yours.

I guess my guard was down because i didn't even think to the look at this persons profile adequately. And being new to forums all together i clicked on what i thought was a post written by them and read it but it was actually a post they responded to i later discovered. I read this post i mistakenly believed was written by the person that PM'd me and responded with information i thought was written by them, and talked about the similarities we have in common etc etc
:club:
Again...this person did not write any of this. I misread the author name.
I wrote an essay to this person basically, talking about my problems lol I recieved back a short superficial " I understand what you feel, i feel that too blahblahblah....you can go here to make your wishes come true. Ihatespam: http://www.jaymethinkspammersuck.com Don't worry, the link is safe, but if your skeptical, you can just google it. I found this site last night and someone sent me a message encouraging me to be comfortable and try and make frenz here, because a lot of ppl here need frenz as much as i do."

So upon receiving that i knew it didn't seem right. Now when i click on their name and find their actual post/replies they are all spam promoting this website! I wrote an essay to a spammer! Who does that!?!!!?? I've stooped to a whole new low! Luckily I have a sense of humor because its kinda comical in retrospect.

Anyways...what are tell-tale signs to look for in PMs to ensure I'm not telling my life story to a spammer/scammer? I'm new to all of this. Help would be appreciated :club:

Don't click links from people you don't know. Hover the mouse over it first and if it has a stupid and horrible name then it's probably spam.

I'm glad you see the funny side, that is actually quite amusing xD but I'm sorry you got targeted.

No.

If members are receiving unwanted PM's from someone who is sending them links forward them to a moderator, don't go making threads about it. Also do better research, the site is a novelty.

To round this all out, members should NOT be spamming links to people in PM's unless they ASK for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back