How to motivate yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shuffle your study habits around until you find something that doesn't bore you to death.

Hm you probably don't want to fail the exams, right? If there's nothing better around, take that as a basic motivation (usually works for me). I don't know if you're already doing all of this, or something else that works for you, but here's my strategy:

Make a plan of when you're going to study which topic, so that you'll at least notice when you're lagging behind.

Go to a public place like a library. You'll be surrounded by lots of people who are actually working, so you might feel bad for being lazy, and there are fewer distractions. Unless you really need it, don't bring a laptop. The internet is your enemy (mine at least).

Choose a specific time for going to the library and don't let yourself wiggle out of it. Once you're sitting there and know that you won't allow yourself to leave before, say, three hours have passed, you're bound to start working at some point.

Maybe find a study group so that you can motivate each other. If it's really bad, tell someone exactly what you are planning to study on a specific day and have them check on you.

And then, you might need to give yourself a decent butt kick every once in a while :p If I don't do that, I can sometimes even end up sitting in the library staring at a wall.

Edit: Oh wait, I don't even know if you're at school or at uni. Hmm I hope it helps a little in any case...

Study groups and stay away from distractions such as phone, chat etc while studying. Possibly contemplate on how you probably won't inherit a few millions so you'll have to study to afford stuff down the line.

While you're thinking about it. move.
Walk, run, swim, do yoga, pilates. After a hard physical workout, do some slow breathing exercises, meditation, mindfulness, etcetera.

Then you might be ready for a different perspective on any problem. In your case study. It might be a case of just cleaning up your room, getting your things/notes organised. Amazing how much better you feel after simply cleaning up.

Latest posts

Back