I can't stand being ignored in a group

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf93

Reaction score
I don't know if it passes as a social problem, but... when I'm in a group of people and they're all chatting with each other I always feel like I'm being ignored as they don't include me in their conversations and when I try to join in, they change the topic even though I AM THERE all the time.. what to do?

It's something I even struggle with. You've gotta be able to sense the flow of the conversation, and find your spot to speak. But sometimes, cocky ******** will talk over you anyway because they've gotta be the life of the party. It just takes practice. :/

lonewolf93 said:
I don't know if it passes as a social problem, but... when I'm in a group of people and they're all chatting with each other I always feel like I'm being ignored as they don't include me in their conversations and when I try to join in, they change the topic even though I AM THERE all the time.. what to do?

I experienced this before when I'm in a large group. Feeling left out really sucks huh? Would you describe yourself as soft spoken? Sometimes speaking out louder might help. However it's not always easy when you are in a group and everyone wants to say something.
Great thing about being quiet is that you get to listen and observe others. So try and observe the people in the group, sometimes there will be one who will seem a little withdrawn from the conversations. Try and chat with that person.

If that doesn't work, try hanging out with a smaller group say like 3 to 4 persons. Hope this helps you out a little.:)

I experienced this before when I'm in a large group. Feeling left out really sucks huh? Would you describe yourself as soft spoken? Sometimes speaking out louder might help. However it's not always easy when you are in a group and everyone wants to say something.
Great thing about being quiet is that you get to listen and observe others. So try and observe the people in the group, sometimes there will be one who will seem a little withdrawn from the conversations. Try and chat with that person.

Thanks! I am definitely going to try it next time I find myself in that kind of situation :)

Also smaller groups are okay but it's sometimes hard because of close relations between SOME of the people in these groups. For example, 4 people are chatting and two of them are a couple. Sometimes you CAN talk in a group like that but there are different people out there - some of them may be too concerned about their partners to notice the presence of other people in the group who would want to talk with them.

lonewolf93 said:

Thanks! I am definitely going to try it next time I find myself in that kind of situation :)

Also smaller groups are okay but it's sometimes hard because of close relations between SOME of the people in these groups. For example, 4 people are chatting and two of them are a couple. Sometimes you CAN talk in a group like that but there are different people out there - some of them may be too concerned about their partners to notice the presence of other people in the group who would want to talk with them.

I had all this when I was in my teens. I used to go upto people and talk to them and they never would answer. They wouldn't even turn their heads. Also, when I was in a group of people, they would turn their backs to me and talk amongst themselves. I was always stood there by myself. I remember thinking it's because I'm stood on the outside of the group so the next time I stood in the middle. It didn't help because everybody still turned their backs.

That has always stayed with me and I litterally have to be nagged to ever go anywhere. At work, I don't tend to notice it anymore though and I can easily talk in front of a few people.

How 'bout being ignored in a lonely-hearts online forum?

When that happens I feel like the most boring creature on earth!

All ways happens with me, and when I finally muster up the courage to say something, I think it sounds stupid and irrelevant because nobody ever expands on the point that I make, therefore knocking my self-confidence down by one notch. :(

364ll said:
All ways happens with me, and when I finally muster up the courage to say something, I think it sounds stupid and irrelevant because nobody ever expands on the point that I make, therefore knocking my self-confidence down by one notch. :(

Or they ignore it or point out how wrong and stupid it was to say that. I get that.

A new life said:

It sucks to be ignored, I know. I'm sorry *hugs*

I said:
364ll said:

Or they ignore it or point out how wrong and stupid it was to say that. I get that.

A new life said:

It sucks to be ignored, I know. I'm sorry *hugs*

Thanks for the e-hug
That someone responded at all helps
e-hug back to you

364ll said:

If people treat you like that then they don't like you. It's as simple as that.

It's best to avoid them in the future. Try and find people who are more friendly.

If I let it happen to me then I usually do end up being ignored. I'm fine with it though because for the most part groups are exhausting for me and I don't want to always be participating anyways. If I feel like it though, I can participate and contribute and not be ignored.

I hang out with good people for the most part. They don't leave me alone when I'm trying to be quiet. They bug me to talk when I just wanna space out into my happy place.

I'm a pretty quiet guy most of the time, and it doesn't bother me to be ignored. Maybe you guys shouldn't try so hard at it. I don't really know. It's not that people are really ignoring you, it's that you are afraid to speak up or participate. If you do it more often then it won't be so weird and awkward when you do. Try not to think about it too much. There's also the chance that you might just be around people that you don't share any common interests with. Its a lot easier to speak up when people are talking about things that interest you.

I have a reaction for this kind of thing. It's walk away. Honestly, if I feel unwelcomed, I move on to something else. I don't hang around to feel humiliated.

Here's one I've developed a knack for spotting and handling quickly.
Let's pretend there are three co-workers, including myself.
Me (C) and coworker A are in a room. Coworker B comes in seeking information. Coworker A can't answer it (or at least without some contribution from me), yet Coworker A is getting 99.x% of eye contact from Coworker B. Maybe I'm screwed up in the head, but this kind of thing makes me feel like I'm part of an A & B conversation and I need to C my way out. And that is precisely what I do. Nice and slowly, I'll try to ease my way AWAY.

Do you always hang out with the same people? If so, then perhaps you should bring the issue up with someone in the group who you're comfortable with. Perhaps he or she would be able to give your their thoughts on your inability to participate. That's what I did with my group of friends. I became really close friends with one of them, and I had approached her about the very same problem you're facing at the moment. In fact, whenever the group assembles, I'm still among the ones who say the least, but she does help me integrate myself within our circle much better (she makes sure that I'm involved in conversations and all).

The problem may also not be with you, but with the conversation topics put forward. Perhaps you don't intervene because you don't know what else to add to whatever's been already said. This goes for groups you don't normally hang out with as well. Remember, people are always attracted to new, diverse opinions and perspectives on both familiar and unfamiliar subjects. If you have something truly unique to add, people will want to listen. Familiarize yourself with the topics entertained by your group, and read up on them as much as you can and create unique opinions and challenge current ones! Information is power!

If the topics discussed simply don't fit your interests, then you may need to change entourage and put yourself into situations in which you will meet people who match your personality. This can only be done if you've more or less well defined yourself (I still have some work to do in this area myself :p).

When introducing new topics, you can't just pick any which one you want. You have to mesh with and adapt to the group. Discover what interests each member and what interests them collectively. Then pursue other topics that they could really get into. There is some trial and error involved, and this is more difficult for groups you've just been thrown into, since this required summing up people you've just met, but somewhere along the line and with practice, you'll get it right! Again, the more well-read you are, the easier it will be.

Basically, my advice involves changing the mentality you go into these situations with. Instead of solely dwelling on why they aren't including you in conversations (I used to do this A LOT), focus on why THEY need you in their group. Of course, interaction is a two-way street, so if you feel you're offering too much and they're offering too little in return, a change of strategy may be required.

Finally, if you intervene and someone interrupts you and attempts to change the course of the conversation, politely interject and state firmly that you aren't quite finished. People will take notice and will realize that you have your place in the discussion. Not easy to do at first!

Don't give up! Trust me, I know exactly what you're going through, and even I'm still working on all this! With perseverance, things will get better!

am i the only one who finds it amusing that "Lone Wolf" doesn't like being a lone wolf? :D

i had to point out the irony. carry on.

Latest posts

Back