I HATE my job.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I hate my job. So much... so so so much. I have been there for 10 years. I knew I hated the job but I was told my boss had to retire after about 8 but he stalled and got 2 more. Now, I have less than 50 days left, and he got 6 more months. I am starting to doubt he will EVER leave short of death. Then, I had an opportunity to move to another new person. I looked forward to that... and she went ahead and hired his staff.

The best way to describe who and what I am and my job is that I am Cinderella and my boss is the step mother. His staff is my step sisters. If there is any crap work to be done, it will be thrown at me with an arrogant look. They all just tell each other how great they are and they tell everyone else that... though they aren't. But I get luke warm references.

I can't quit -- I don't have the savings. Plus to get another job I would have to use them as references. But if I get laid off... I can get unemployment and severance. But I doubt they will ever do that.

It is so dire I seriously lately feel drawn to thinking about suicide. I consider the idea of quitting and just moving to some poor state and living in a shack and spending all my money and living on welfare. At least I would get my life back. At least I wouldn't have to see these people ever again.

It is extremely possible tomorrow I might just quit. I think I leave a lot of personal things in my office for fear that I might actually say the words if I take them home.

I'm so sorry! It's possible, however that you could get around the reference part. It's my impression that most employers don't check references until last minute. Surely there are other people who have been in dire situations where they have been at the same job a long time and can't use their employers as a reference for reasons beyond their control.

Oh dear, I seriously think you should quit. I think it's more important in this case as you are already considering suicide. I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through this. I've had my fair share of honeysuckle at work and I've just managed to quit after what feels like eternity. I do get worried about my financial situation, but I'm also looking for new jobs at the moment.

As you said, you can get some help, you can live on that for a bit. If it means a better well-being. I learned that one shouldn't let work rule their lives like that - it's just not worth it.

Please, get out of there if you have to. I know it will mean a tougher life with no savings, but you have some help to live by while you continue looking for a new job. It's not impossible. Well, at least that's my opinion. I wish you good luck, let us know how it goes? Take care.

raincloud said:
I'm so sorry! It's possible, however that you could get around the reference part. It's my impression that most employers don't check references until last minute. Surely there are other people who have been in dire situations where they have been at the same job a long time and can't use their employers as a reference for reasons beyond their control.

^ This, if things are so bad it can't hurt to look for something, anything else. Hell if it means living then for now get a job in a supermarket or something, they would be less likely to check on references anyway. (This is not to degenerate anyone working in a supermarket, I have, and would again if required)

I think you get my point. Your life is worth more than a job,.

I agree with Edward W-your life is worth more than a job, and looking for something else, even as a stopgap till you find something you really want to do, could be the best option.
Maybe you could use someone else for references, such as your doctor, your old college tutors, any professional person you know who would be happy to help you out. Lots of people can't use their present employer as a referee for one reason or another-in a job I had 25 years ago they were so short of staff that if anyone applied for a new job, the boss refused to write them a reference, yet people managed to leave and work elsewhere.

Yes I agree,Please try look for something else.
I am in the same situation almost, I hate were I work, I dread going in. I love my job but not when there is no fairness and too many chiefs and not enough Indians ( not enough staff).
Please don't think you have to put up with it, the very fact that you are being picked on suggests that you are a fair and decent person, in fact, I bet you would make a good fair supervisor. Because you wouldn't want anything like that happening to others.
I don't think Employers can give you a bad reference either, and from what I know, they look at your application form, and how you answer the job specification, and they look for evidence of demonstration of how you go about your job and deal with things.
I agree with raincloud in that references are the last thing employers check. So even if you don't get one off them, you could always ask why....and have a back-up, even it it means an previous teacher, or friend.
My sister worked at a school and she applied for a better position there, she was more than qualified, but they gave it to someone less qualified because they wanted her to carry on doing the job she was doing, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE LIKED IT!
She applied for a better job elsewhere and got it. The point is, don't let them keep you there out of their meanie-ness, you are not someones dogsbody.
and if the worst comes to the worst, go to your doctor and tell them how you feel, perhaps you need time out say, 3 moths 6 months in order to regain your priorities and gain a better grasp on what you need

good luck

I just don't know what I would live on while I try to get a new job. My professon is very insular... it isn't so easy to get another job. Everyone knows everyone and if you don't move to a place where no one knows you... they will suspect you.

One of the things I am SICK of ... I lose job after job because of the perception there is problem with me... and then I keep hearig stupid ideas from people like *you should practice your answers* -- as if an interview means anything.

Give me a break.

The best part is they keep denying me leave..so when I try to get another job they refuse to let me leave to INTERVEIW for that job. I have to apply for leave in advance and people call me with like 1 days notice and can't imagine that I cant get leave.

LonelySutton said:
The best part is they keep denying me leave..so when I try to get another job they refuse to let me leave to INTERVEIW for that job. I have to apply for leave in advance and people call me with like 1 days notice and can't imagine that I cant get leave.

Call in sick in that case. Sounds like you owe your current employer nothing so do not feel guilty about it.

Heck maybe with you off a few days they might actually realise how valuable you are and stop treating you so badly.

One of the worst feeling is to get up in the morning to get ready to go to a job you hate... I've been there many times... My current job isn't all that much better either... May be you can look for a part time job... Once you get your foot in, look for an opportunity for full time position... Then quit this job...

Maybe I should post this in success stories but... I wrote this out on a Thursday and on Friday... everything changed. It is amazing.

I have a boss and a toxic workgroup right now. I had an application in for another person but it was not looking good. This new boss is just an amazing person and if I had her as a boss I can't imagine things ever being bad. I have actually known her for 10 years.

Friday, I got a call back (2nd interiview for the job for her) and, I had ONE person in competition with me for the job and that person got the job she wanted so she is out. Leaving me as the ONLY candidate in the field with any experience. And since this person coming in that I want to work for ..... is brand new and knows nothing... and I have 10 years experience... well...

My interview is Tuesday and so it is very possible things could totally turn around. I am just going to have to do my best.

But we will see.

Latest posts

Back