I met a very different person this week

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Animelover10102

So earlier this week, I met a very...different person. It was my first time encountering someone like this, so I was a bit confused at first, and I still am. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything on this site, but I felt like sharing this:

I met a boy, same age as me, on accident when my group (me, my sister, and a new friend) sat with him in order to get away from some annoying people. He let us sit there, he didn't mind. We sat in silence for a bit, and he seemed pretty normal at first, actually pretty cute with his freckles and stuff. He looked at us a bit weird since we sat there, basically running from the people we were originally sitting with. He asked us for our names and ages, you know, stuff like that.

Then he said something about running his friend over...and liking it. He asked us if that was normal...and told us he doesn't like how his psychiatrist tries to 'get in his head', and that he has bi-polar, ADHD, and a whole list of mental illnesses that I can't remember...and a whole plethora of disturbing things, like how he was stabbed, his friend lit his principal's office on fire, etc.

Then a few days ago, I heard from my friend that he was sent home because he threatened to kill someone...I wanted to try to talk to him again but I was too shy to. He was all I could think about because he was so interesting. I've never met a psychopath before. I wanted to study is behavior a bit more, since one of my characters is a psychopath. I'm kinda hoping I see him next year....

Is it a good thing we left when we did? Is it a good thing he was sent home? He seemed nice despite the disturbing things he told us, but then again, some psychopaths are good at facades.

> seemed nice

Emphasis on "seemed".

This probs isn't the kind of person you want to be around with, no matter how nice they seem or how interesting they are. He won't open any exceptions for you if he likes to hurt people and yes, it was a good thing he was sent home. I very much doubt he is a true psychopath though he sounds very dangerous, the kind of person who should stay away from people and get treatment for his stuff.

I would keep well away from this boy. He has a lot of problems by the sound of it and you could find yourself in very deep water if you were to become involved with him even as a friend.

Animelover10102 said:
So earlier this week, I met a very...different person. It was my first time encountering someone like this, so I was a bit confused at first, and I still am. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything on this site, but I felt like sharing this:

I met a boy, same age as me, on accident when my group (me, my sister, and a new friend) sat with him in order to get away from some annoying people. He let us sit there, he didn't mind. We sat in silence for a bit, and he seemed pretty normal at first, actually pretty cute with his freckles and stuff. He looked at us a bit weird since we sat there, basically running from the people we were originally sitting with. He asked us for our names and ages, you know, stuff like that.

Then he said something about running his friend over...and liking it. He asked us if that was normal...and told us he doesn't like how his psychiatrist tries to 'get in his head', and that he has bi-polar, ADHD, and a whole list of mental illnesses that I can't remember...and a whole plethora of disturbing things, like how he was stabbed, his friend lit his principal's office on fire, etc.

Then a few days ago, I heard from my friend that he was sent home because he threatened to kill someone...I wanted to try to talk to him again but I was too shy to. He was all I could think about because he was so interesting. I've never met a psychopath before. I wanted to study is behavior a bit more, since one of my characters is a psychopath. I'm kinda hoping I see him next year....

Is it a good thing we left when we did? Is it a good thing he was sent home? He seemed nice despite the disturbing things he told us, but then again, some psychopaths are good at facades.

You have been given very good advice here. Pay heed.

Tealeaf said:
Nice people don't run over their friends and start fires.

True, but it was his friend who started the fire...and threw a rock through the principal's car in order to lure him out of the office to set it on fire...

I don't know, he seemed so interesting.

Animelover10102 said:
Tealeaf said:

True, but it was his friend who started the fire...and threw a rock through the principal's car in order to lure him out of the office to set it on fire...

I'm too **** old to argue with young women who want to spend time with men like this. Those who can't reason their way away from them just learn through plain, hard experience or wind up chained to miserable, abusive situations.

I'm just going to say that countless women think they're going to "change" someone by loving them and then they'll have a big, strong protector who doesn't care for anyone but them (Edward from Twilight and millions of teen girl fantasies, anyone?). I'm definitely getting that sense from you: it'll be different because you're not everyone else and he's nice around you. Turns out about as well as all other fantasies straight off the erotica and romance bookshelves.

If you feel the need to rescue something hurt and misunderstood, rescue stray cats or children from abusive situations. Unlike violent men with mental health issues, they'll appreciate you. These people do not want to be rescued.

Tealeaf said:
Animelover10102 said:
Tealeaf said:

I'm too **** old to argue with young women who want to spend time with men like this. Those who can't reason their way away from them just learn through plain, hard experience or wind up chained to miserable, abusive situations.

I'm just going to say that countless women think they're going to "change" someone by loving them and then they'll have a big, strong protector who doesn't care for anyone but them (Edward from Twilight and millions of teen girl fantasies, anyone?). I'm definitely getting that sense from you: it'll be different because you're not everyone else and he's nice around you. Turns out about as well as all other fantasies straight off the erotica and romance bookshelves.

I know to stray away from him. I don't want to pursue a relationship or anything like that. I'm not that stupid. I wanted to research him because I have a character who is similar. It's kinda hard to write a psychopath when you've only read about them. I like to experience things if I am going to write about them. (Other than getting shot, stabbed, etc.)

Psychopaths won't change if you "love" them; They don't understand love, and I know that. I find them interesting, that is all.

So, I've been friends with a few people that are now in jail who sound eerily similar to your new friend. I was very close to a few of them, and they were bad news. Very interesting people though.

I don't know how old you are, but you sound young, and so does your new friend. Also, there has been plenty of common sense, good advice stated here so I'm going to shy away from that. What I am going to tell you is what I think about him.

He lied to you. I don't know about what, but at some point during your conversation he lied, probably numerous times. He did this to make himself seem much more interesting than he feels that he is. He's not as violent as he makes himself out to be, and he is scared a great majority of the time. I think he'll spend the majority of his young life trying to get over his fears the only way he knows how: by acting has crazy and unpredictable as he can to prove to others and himself that he is dangerous. If he has friends and connections to outlaws, gangs, or other stereotypically dangerous types, he will align himself to them to feel powerful. If he doesn't, he will continue to act crazy and unpredictable until it gets inside of him, and gets him into trouble. Some young men like this end up on the news, some don't. It may be just a phase that he grows out of, or it may end his life, and/or the lives of those around him prematurely. It depends on how troubled he really is and the stability of his familial/support structure.

Getting close to him may change his outlook for a while, and witnessing that change may make it difficult not to love him, but it won't last forever(I've found this to be true in a purely platonic sense, and I can only imagine how it would feel if there were intimate feelings there as well). The two of you will eventually grow apart and if the separation is devastating to him, you will be the focal point of all of his pain. This will not be fun, and it could change your life forever. Dangerous people are considered dangerous for a reason.

This is all assuming that he is truly troubled, and what you witnessed wasn't just youthful grandstanding and blowing smoke to impress a group of girls that miraculously fell into his lap.

Do what you will...

jjessea said:
So, I've been friends with a few people that are now in jail who sound eerily similar to your new friend. I was very close to a few of them, and they were bad news. Very interesting people though.

I don't know how old you are, but you sound young, and so does your new friend. Also, there has been plenty of common sense, good advice stated here so I'm going to shy away from that. What I am going to tell you is what I think about him.

He lied to you. I don't know about what, but at some point during your conversation he lied, probably numerous times. He did this to make himself seem much more interesting than he feels that he is. He's not as violent as he makes himself out to be, and he is scared a great majority of the time. I think he'll spend the majority of his young life trying to get over his fears the only way he knows how: by acting has crazy and unpredictable as he can to prove to others and himself that he is dangerous. If he has friends and connections to outlaws, gangs, or other stereotypically dangerous types, he will align himself to them to feel powerful. If he doesn't, he will continue to act crazy and unpredictable until it gets inside of him, and gets him into trouble. Some young men like this end up on the news, some don't. It may be just a phase that he grows out of, or it may end his life, and/or the lives of those around him prematurely. It depends on how troubled he really is and the stability of his familial/support structure.

Getting close to him may change his outlook for a while, and witnessing that change may make it difficult not to love him, but it won't last forever(I've found this to be true in a purely platonic sense, and I can only imagine how it would feel if there were intimate feelings there as well). The two of you will eventually grow apart and if the separation is devastating to him, you will be the focal point of all of his pain. This will not be fun, and it could change your life forever. Dangerous people are considered dangerous for a reason.

This is all assuming that he is truly troubled, and what you witnessed wasn't just youthful grandstanding and blowing smoke to impress a group of girls that miraculously fell into his lap.

Do what you will...

Never thought that he could just be saying those things to impress us, but I forgot to mention he has a girlfriend.

I was a bit surprised when he was sent home for threatening to kill someone...I can't say those are rumors, because a few days after, he was gone. He even said he was surprised they hadn't sent him early (he said this before he threatened someone).

A day after we met him, he seemed a bit down. Counselors and stuff were speaking to him, but I couldn't talk to him because I was too busy with my new friend, and my sister most likely wouldn't let me near him.

Animelover10102 said:
Never thought that he could just be saying those things to impress us

Again, it's just what I thought about him based on personal experience. Those things may have been true. Regardless, he was still saying them to impress you. That much I'm certain of. Young boys are always trying to impress everyone around them, especially young girls.

Just... Really. Stay away. He's probably not even a psychopath and it won't be worth the trouble.

Some people did jump on the gun here but the advice stays the same.

Ymir said:
Just... Really. Stay away. He's probably not even a psychopath and it won't be worth the trouble.

Yeah....

The young voice of reason here. Probably best just to listen to her.

He probably isn't a bad person. He has mental health issues. Hopefully he is getting treated for them.

That said, it probably isn't safe to be around him if this is his current behavior and/or he isn't taking care of his mental health issues.

Ymir said:

Some people did jump on the gun here but the advice stays the same.

I would say I agree with this. And what the others have said mainly.

It's not worth the mind games and manipulation (when it eventually gets to that point) and all the tricks he'd pull out of his bags.

I've probably had first hand experience with such people, it's so much easier to fall into their circle.. but it can be so much harder to get out if you're not careful.

Latest posts

Back